Paul Johnson has won the Coastal 3 times.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Every season, we seem to be the Miami pivot game. If they are playing bad, then they beat us and get on a roll. If they're playing well, they beat us and then fall off. Would not be surprised to see that happen again. They could just have easily lost their last two games. Time for them to come back to the circle of suck that is going to be the ACC this year.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don't quite understand how you think we would be undefeated with Mills playing. Maybe Mills and Benson together, or even Marshall and Benson together, but Benson has been great until the injury. I'm not sure that either Mills or Marshall would have made a difference in the Tenn game, but we sure needed a good partner for Benson in the Miami game.

He would have been a huge help in that rain last week, but IIWII

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I had the same notions. I changed to 7-5 when Mills was let go. Benson has played extremely well, but with Dedrick we're undefeated today, imho. Now I'm hoping for 7 - 4, mainly because we have the Turkies at home.

But … we could win out. We have a pretty good team and all our ranked opponents remaining are, again imho, overrated. But let's get Wake out of the way first. That won't be easy and I hope we're up for the effort after the disappointment in Miami.

I can't stop thinking that either, with Mills we would be undefeated

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
At this point I think GT will be 8-3 and possibly go to the Camping World Bowl and i'll be happy with that.;) With the difficulties that happen with recruiting in a top school like GT i'm happy with a winning record and bowl games every season.;)

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
With a record of 1-2 vs. Miami.
A lot of people are thinking Saturday's loss knocked us out of contention to win the Coastal Division. I'm not on board with that yet. Miami is at the top of the coastal but the Canes might be a little over rated. Miami still has to play : Syracuse, @ UNC, VT, UVA, @ Pitt. Miami is two plays away from being 3-2. Everyone has forgotten about VT after they lost to Clemson, and also a lot of people are sleeping on UVA. Crazier things have happened in the Coastal, GT is still well within the race.

Well, it didn't help that's for sure.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't quite understand how you think we would be undefeated with Mills playing. Maybe Mills and Benson together, or even Marshall and Benson together, but Benson has been great until the injury. I'm not sure that either Mills or Marshall would have made a difference in the Tenn game, but we sure needed a good partner for Benson in the Miami game.
If we have Mills we score on two runs from the 6. Also, rain wouldn't bother a back like him much.

I agree that Benson has shown great heart and talent. He can run hard with the best of them. He doesn't have Mills's instinct for the jugular, however, and he is still shifting around in the hole. For all that, however, I'll repeat myself and say that we probably lost at Miami when Benson got hurt. He could have been pretty useful in the wet.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If we have Mills we score on two runs from the 6. Also, rain wouldn't bother a back like him much.

I agree that Benson has shown great heart and talent. He can run hard with the best of them. He doesn't have Mills's instinct for the jugular, however, and he is still shifting around in the hole. For all that, however, I'll repeat myself and say that we probably lost at Miami when Benson got hurt. He could have been pretty useful in the wet.
Mills was more decisive in the hole for sure. He was a one cut and go full steam ahead kind of back and it worked. If nothing was there, he'd plow and churn and have 3 yards where there was none. If you count his and Marcus' departure then add in Kirvante's injury, we had it worse than Miami. Throw in Brant's for extra measure. Still should have won, even with the swiss cheese prevent defense. Our defensive alignment reminded me of a game of Marco Polo: lets get as far away from the "it" guy as possible.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Miami was the favorite last year after they beat us as well. I’m not sold on the Hurricanes. They will run out of luck soon. If I recall correctly last year Tennessee had a huge comeback to break a long losing streak to their rival Florida, then had a miracle touchdown /catch to beat Georgia. The Vols then went on to lose to Texas A&M, Alabama,South Carolina, and Vanderbilt. Miami’s season feels the same way to me. Miami had a huge miracle on a comeback against FSU to snap long losing streak. Then Miami has a miracle catch to beat GT in the last few seconds of the game. People will just say “Good teams find a way to win.” but I call it “Average teams get lucky a win games they were supposed to win anyway.”

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
The easiest way for us to win the Coastal is actually not having Miami lose twice.

It’s the three way tie between Miami, UVA, and GT (and winning whatever the tiebreaker is).
Or three way tie between GT, VT, and Miami. All with two losses and GT beats VT while VT beats Miami. Assuming UVA loses to Miami, GT plus at least one more...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
Two ways to realistically win the division. We win it and got 7-1, Miami loses 2.

More realistic...Miami loses to VT and one other DIVISION team (Virginia has the best shot). We win the rest of our division games, but lose to Clemson. VT wins the rest of their conference games.

Three way tie with VT, Miami, GT AT 6-2. All three teams 1-1 against among the group. Miami 4-2 in division, VT and GT 5-1 in division. Miami eliminated by tiebreaker #2, division record. Tiebreaker starts over, VT eliminated by head to head matchup with GT.

...we win rematch with Clemson, go to Orange Bowl at 9-3. Beat Georgia for a second time to finish at 10-3.

[mic drop]
This is the Coastal Choas scenario we should be cheering for. #BeatWake

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Every season, we seem to be the Miami pivot game. If they are playing bad, then they beat us and get on a roll. If they're playing well, they beat us and then fall off. Would not be surprised to see that happen again. They could just have easily lost their last two games. Time for them to come back to the circle of suck that is going to be the ACC this year.
Uncharacteristically maudlin, Mule?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
With a record of 1-2 vs. Miami.
A lot of people are thinking Saturday's loss knocked us out of contention to win the Coastal Division. I'm not on board with that yet. Miami is at the top of the coastal but the Canes might be a little over rated. Miami still has to play : Syracuse, @ UNC, VT, UVA, @ Pitt. Miami is two plays away from being 3-2. Everyone has forgotten about VT after they lost to Clemson, and also a lot of people are sleeping on UVA. Crazier things have happened in the Coastal, GT is still well within the race.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!!!!! [emoji6]