Paul Johnson has won the Coastal 3 times.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
With a record of 1-2 vs. Miami.
A lot of people are thinking Saturday's loss knocked us out of contention to win the Coastal Division. I'm not on board with that yet. Miami is at the top of the coastal but the Canes might be a little over rated. Miami still has to play : Syracuse, @ UNC, VT, UVA, @ Pitt. Miami is two plays away from being 3-2. Everyone has forgotten about VT after they lost to Clemson, and also a lot of people are sleeping on UVA. Crazier things have happened in the Coastal, GT is still well within the race.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
The easiest way for us to win the Coastal is actually not having Miami lose twice.

It’s the three way tie between Miami, UVA, and GT (and winning whatever the tiebreaker is).

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
The easiest way for us to win the Coastal is actually not having Miami lose twice.

It’s the three way tie between Miami, UVA, and GT (and winning whatever the tiebreaker is).
You can make a scenario where that happens, but it's tough, and I think it ends up with VT being in the Tie as well if you want us to win it easily.

ACC Tiebreak rules for 3+ teams:
1) Combined H2H win % among the group (in the 4-way scenario, GT and VT are 2-1, UVA and UM are 1-2...I think)
2) Division win % of the tied teams (this is why a loss to Clemson works in GT/VT's favor over a division loss...pretty much all tiebreakers in play this year end here)
3) H2H vs the team with the best conference win % (this is a weird one)
4) Win % against common non-division opponents
5) Win % against non-division, period
6) CFP Ranking
7) Commissioner Draw

Deleted member 2897

You can make a scenario where that happens, but it's tough, and I think it ends up with VT being in the Tie as well if you want us to win it easily.

1) Combined H2H win % among the group (in the 4-way scenario, GT and VT are 2-1, UVA and UM are 1-2...I think)
2) Division win % of the tied teams (this is why a loss to Clemson works in GT/VT's favor over a division loss...pretty much all tiebreakers in play this year end here)
6) CFP Ranking
7) Commissioner Draw

If its a 3 way tie with Miami, GT, and Virginia or a 4 way tie with Miami, GT, Virginia, and Virginia Tech - either way I expect it to go to #7 and the Commissioner will draw North Carolina.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Or a two way tie with Miami, VT, GT, or UVA or the best way is GT win out and Miami lose two. Your scenario would have GT winning out so why not have Miami lose two. It would put us in the ACCCG automatically.

Jmonty71

Banned
With a record of 1-2 vs. Miami.
A lot of people are thinking Saturday's loss knocked us out of contention to win the Coastal Division. I'm not on board with that yet. Miami is at the top of the coastal but the Canes might be a little over rated. Miami still has to play : Syracuse, @ UNC, VT, UVA, @ Pitt. Miami is two plays away from being 3-2. Everyone has forgotten about VT after they lost to Clemson, and also a lot of people are sleeping on UVA. Crazier things have happened in the Coastal, GT is still well within the race.
I appreciate the optimism. However; realistically, we will not win the Coastal. It requires us to beat VT, UVA and Clemson, pretty much. Miami carries the tie breaker over us.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate the optimism. However; realistically, we will not win the Coastal. It requires us to beat VT, UVA and Clemson, pretty much. Miami carries the tie breaker over us.
Probably true and most of us didn't predict a coastal title this year anyway

Deleted member 2897

Based on the schedules, I agree. But people keep lumping in UVA as if they are a good team. Remember when Duke and Wake were 4-0 we had this same argument, and look at what is happening. Wake has a measurable chance of losing their last 7 games. Who has UVA beat? William & Mary, UConn, @Boise State (that's a good win), and then barely beat Duke and UNC - each by just 1 score. Virginia is NOT GOOD. They will probably be one of many teams in a log jam in the Coastal around 3-5 or 4-4. UNC, Duke, Pitt, UVA - they will all beat each other and not really anybody else.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I expected to win the coastal this year. Why would you not? Miami and VT have new QBs same as us and VT lost a lot from last year beyond that.

GT has an experienced OL, DL, secondary and Abacks. Usually a pretty good recipe for success.

After a 9 win season last year you bet your *** I expected GT to build on that and win. But I was let down again. Wash rinse repeat.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All these win/loss permutations are good for....what?

Just take care of our own business and we don't need to worry about other teams. If we don't take care of our own business, all the rest doesn't matter anyways.

Deleted member 2897

I expected to win the coastal this year. Why would you not? Miami and VT have new QBs same as us and VT lost a lot from last year beyond that.

GT has an experienced OL, DL, secondary and Abacks. Usually a pretty good recipe for success.

After a 9 win season last year you bet your *** I expected GT to build on that and win. But I was let down again. Wash rinse repeat.

Not me. I predicted 8-4 with losses to Tennessee, @Miami, @Clemson, and georgia. We had a new QB and a new BB...the 2 most critical parts of our offense. We're right on track for that. Why did I predict that? Those teams have the largest talent differential with us. As much as I thought we could have been a great team this year, the reality is we have one of the toughest schedules in the country. If you had told me after my prediction that we would have only lost to TN and MIA by 1 point each, I would probably actually increase my expectation right now.

All 4 of the teams I listed there will be ranked when we played them. Miami #11, Clemson #7 or so, georgia probably still Top 5. Plus Virginia Tech will be ranked, and possibly even Virginia (they're getting a lot of votes and have a weak schedule right now). That's 6 ranked opponents. We're playing 8 teams that won 8+ games last year and 3 that won 10+ games. Its highly likely that 3 of our opponents (Clemson, georgia, Miami) finish the season ranked inside the Top 10...and there's a chance that Virginia Tech finishes there too.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

6) CFP Ranking
7) Commissioner Draw
Again, my head hurts.

All these win/loss permutations are good for....what?

Just take care of our own business and we don't need to worry about other teams. If we don't take care of our own business, all the rest doesn't matter anyways.
We have already started on "not taking care of our own business". But that doesn't make us bad people.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not me. I predicted 8-4 with losses to Tennessee, @Miami, @Clemson, and georgia. We had a new QB and a new BB...the 2 most critical parts of our offense. We're right on track for that. Why did I predict that? Those teams have the largest talent differential with us. As much as I thought we could have been a great team this year, the reality is we have one of the toughest schedules in the country. If you had told me after my prediction that we would have only lost to TN and MIA by 1 point each, I would probably actually increase my expectation right now.
I had the same notions. I changed to 7-5 when Mills was let go. Benson has played extremely well, but with Dedrick we're undefeated today, imho. Now I'm hoping for 7 - 4, mainly because we have the Turkies at home.

But … we could win out. We have a pretty good team and all our ranked opponents remaining are, again imho, overrated. But let's get Wake out of the way first. That won't be easy and I hope we're up for the effort after the disappointment in Miami.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

All 4 of the teams I listed there will be ranked when we played them. Miami #11, Clemson #7 or so, georgia probably still Top 5. Plus Virginia Tech will be ranked, and possibly even Virginia (they're getting a lot of votes and have a weak schedule right now). That's 6 ranked opponents. We're playing 8 teams that won 8+ games last year and 3 that won 10+ games. Its highly likely that 3 of our opponents (Clemson, georgia, Miami) finish the season ranked inside the Top 10...and there's a chance that Virginia Tech finishes there too.
I predicted either 9-3 or 8-4 with the Georgia game being a toss up, so while we should be 5-0, we're kind of right where I thought we would be at this point especially with a new QB and BB like you mentioned. I am by no means giving up on this year or winning the coastal this year, but I think that next year will truly be our year. I thought this before the season and the emergence of Quan and Benson has only strengthened that suspicion.

I had the same notions. I changed to 7-5 when Mills was let go. Benson has played extremely well, but with Dedrick we're undefeated today, imho. Now I'm hoping for 7 - 4, mainly because we have the Turkies at home.

But … we could win out. We have a pretty good team and all our ranked opponents remaining are, again imho, overrated. But let's get Wake out of the way first. That won't be easy and I hope we're up for the effort after the disappointment in Miami.
I don't quite understand how you think we would be undefeated with Mills playing. Maybe Mills and Benson together, or even Marshall and Benson together, but Benson has been great until the injury. I'm not sure that either Mills or Marshall would have made a difference in the Tenn game, but we sure needed a good partner for Benson in the Miami game.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Two ways to realistically win the division. We win it and got 7-1, Miami loses 2.

More realistic...Miami loses to VT and one other DIVISION team (Virginia has the best shot). We win the rest of our division games, but lose to Clemson. VT wins the rest of their conference games.

Three way tie with VT, Miami, GT AT 6-2. All three teams 1-1 against among the group. Miami 4-2 in division, VT and GT 5-1 in division. Miami eliminated by tiebreaker #2, division record. Tiebreaker starts over, VT eliminated by head to head matchup with GT.

...we win rematch with Clemson, go to Orange Bowl at 9-3. Beat Georgia for a second time to finish at 10-3.

[mic drop]