Paul Johnson era recruiting

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Last night, I went to dinner in Athens. Just as we ordered, the waitress comes over over and says, "the UGA football team is coming and will be entertaining a number of recruits. Please stand and cheer when they arrive."

I couldn't bring myself to do it, but I didn't want to embarrass my date either. So I went through the motions.

What was interesting to me was the smiles on these kids faces ... on walking into a crowded restaurant and receiving standing O's.

I've lived in Atlanta for 35 years and never seen this with a Tech squad. Intangibles like this, it seems to me, just scream "please join us".

Wait, you stood up and cheered for future dwags?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Last night, I went to dinner in Athens. Just as we ordered, the waitress comes over over and says, "the UGA football team is coming and will be entertaining a number of recruits. Please stand and cheer when they arrive."

I couldn't bring myself to do it, but I didn't want to embarrass my date either. So I went through the motions.

What was interesting to me was the smiles on these kids faces ... on walking into a crowded restaurant and receiving standing O's.

I've lived in Atlanta for 35 years and never seen this with a Tech squad. Intangibles like this, it seems to me, just scream "please join us".
Maybe they were smiling at all the hundred dollar handshakes they were getting?

northgajacket

Banned
It’s hilarious to me that Tech “fans” think we should be top 3 in recruiting in the ACC. Y’all really expect Tech to out-recruit FSU, Clemson, and Miami on our budget? It’s laughable. Louisville, NC State and VT also throw a substantially higher amount of money at recruiting than Tech does.

Let me spell it out for y’all. The actual Institute is UNattractive to a lot of potential student-athletes for a lot of reasons. Tech is not a “traditional” college experience, there are an extremely limited amount of majors, and not everyone wants to live in a city (gasp). All of those issues, among many others, must be overcome by the staff before we even get to issues with the actual football program. i.e. lacking competitive facilities, Russell contract, poor attendance, horrible budget.

Our “fans” then have the audacity to question why our current staff can’t recruit with major, national football powers while being handed a shoestring budget. Y’all are either trolling or ignorant to what it takes to run a competitive football program.

Frankly, it’s amazing that CPJ has accomplished what he has at Tech. Two of the past four years have been very good years, one was full of injuries, and this year wasn’t good. The staff is aware; they understand this year was not sufficient and are working to improve.

The point: If you’re going to criticize, provide valid criticism with knowledge of the barriers that the staff has to consistently overcome.

Wow somebody is angry

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know how many of you know but on the subject of recruiting did you know that Tech was the first school to offer Nick Chubb? How would you have liked to had him at B Back?
Tech has always approached good H.S. players, the problem is , we can't or don't close the deal. To me it's all about curriculum,GPA,the TO and the HC.I really wonder if our recruiters ever ask questions when they lose a recruit.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Tech has always approached good H.S. players, the problem is , we can't or don't close the deal. To me it's all about curriculum,GPA,the TO and the HC.I really wonder if our recruiters ever ask questions when they lose a recruit.

I would think they would. Part of being good at what you do is finding out why you came up short. I don't know why you seem to think PJ is part of the issues, every parent, every SA that I've seen anything from is always supportive and upbeat in that regard. Maybe you want to reach out to @flea77 or @Coachbraun72 and ask them about PJ.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I would think they would. Part of being good at what you do is finding out why you came up short. I don't know why you seem to think PJ is part of the issues, every parent, every SA that I've seen anything from is always supportive and upbeat in that regard. Maybe you want to reach out to @flea77 or @Coachbraun72 and ask them about PJ.
I agree OJF, so I respectfully ask First&ten to give us a specific example of what he/she is talking about. Every player and parent I have spoken to has had nothing but praise for CPJ, so I would like to know why specifically first&ten made the statement.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
It’s hilarious to me that Tech “fans” think e should be top 3 in recruiting in the ACC. Y’all really expect Tech to out-recruit FSU, Clemson, and Miami on our budget? It’s laughable. Louisville, NC State and VT also throw a substantially higher amount of money at recruiting than Tech does.

Let me spell it out for y’all. The actual Institute is UNattractive to a lot of potential student-athletes for a lot of reasons. Tech is not a “traditional” college experience, there are an extremely limited amount of majors, and not everyone wants to live in a city (gasp). All of those issues, among many others, must be overcome by the staff before we even get to issues with the actual football program. i.e. lacking competitive facilities, Russell contract, poor attendance, horrible budget.

Our “fans” then have the audacity to question why our current staff can’t recruit with major, national football powers while being handed a shoestring budget. Y’all are either trolling or ignorant to what it takes to run a competitive football program.

Frankly, it’s amazing that CPJ has accomplished what he has at Tech. Two of the past four years have been very good years, one was full of injuries, and this year wasn’t good. The staff is aware; they understand this year was not sufficient and are working to improve.

The point: If you’re going to criticize, provide valid criticism with knowledge of the barriers that the staff has to consistently overcome.

This pretty much sums it up. We are trying to recruit with the likes of Miami, Virginia Tech, FSU, and Clemson with one hand tied behind our back. There needs to be across the board changes made unless our fan base and the Hill are content to slowly drift down into mediocrity then maybe we should leave the ACC and join say the Sun Belt.

northgajacket

Banned
This pretty much sums it up. We are trying to recruit with the likes of Miami, Virginia Tech, FSU, and Clemson with one hand tied behind our back. There needs to be across the board changes made unless our fan base and the Hill are content to slowly drift down into mediocrity then maybe we should leave the ACC and join say the Sun Belt.

Fact is college football is an arms race now. Idaho figured this out and that is why they dropped down to FCS.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Fact is college football is an arms race now. Idaho figured this out and that is why they dropped down to FCS.

While the first statement is true, the second isn't entirely accurate. Idaho dropped down because they were spending an *** load of money on travel playing in a conference 3000 miles away. They bid for entry into the MWC twice but the unfortunate truth is most of their regional opponents are all in the big sky.

I guess I will just post this on this thread as recently all the threads are fairly negative. Lets see, three years ago we won 11 games and an Orange bowl. The next year we lost a Senior laden team, 10 starters on offense and we went 3-9. Losing 6 games by 6 points or less but having probably the most memorable win of all time. The next year we go 9-4 and win the Gator bowl. This year we don't play 12 games, lose 3 on basically the last play of the game and end the season on two let down games. And have the toughest schedule we have had in 20 years.

And now we complain about recruiting, CPJ, facilities, that offense. Do we need some improvements, sure. But let's just ask some of our ACC brethren if they would like to have had our record in the last 4 years. NC State, Wake Forest, UNC, UVA, Duke. Pitt, Syracuse.

northgajacket

Banned
While the first statement is true, the second isn't entirely accurate. Idaho dropped down because they were spending an *** load of money on travel playing in a conference 3000 miles away. They bid for entry into the MWC twice but the unfortunate truth is most of their regional opponents are all in the big sky.

Idaho even said that they couldn't keep up in the arms race. They begged the Sun Belt to keep them in the conference.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I guess I will just post this on this thread as recently all the threads are fairly negative. Lets see, three years ago we won 11 games and an Orange bowl. The next year we lost a Senior laden team, 10 starters on offense and we went 3-9. Losing 6 games by 6 points or less but having probably the most memorable win of all time. The next year we go 9-4 and win the Gator bowl. This year we don't play 12 games, lose 3 on basically the last play of the game and end the season on two let down games. And have the toughest schedule we have had in 20 years.

And now we complain about recruiting, CPJ, facilities, that offense. Do we need some improvements, sure. But let's just ask some of our ACC brethren if they would like to have had our record in the last 4 years. NC State, Wake Forest, UNC, UVA, Duke. Pitt, Syracuse.

Agree coach is good guy for gt and the schedule for 17 was very tough. He really needs more staff ( recruiting, tutorial, etc).
As to the 4 years you sight, it seems that 14 and 15 have to be considered in combination. Almost no serious injuries on senior skill position 14 team to disaster on very young 15 team. I just combine them in mind mind as very good and very bad is possible for gt.

Next year in your 4 season range, we will drop off 14, keep the disaster 15 which is really not fair. We will have the good 16, and the what the HXxX duke spanked our axx 17 season and 18. IMO we will have a very tough schedule again in 18. It will be very telling about the state of our program.
GETTING BETTER AS THE SEASON GOES ON.
In 14 and 15 our guys got better every game . We won close games big time in 14 and lost them in 15 but the kids were scraping till the last game. In 16 we had some issues early but finished strong. In 17 I thought we could count on finishing strong, but the decline was massive from the 600 YDS rushing in game 1 to the 190 YDS in game 11. We ended 17 final 6 quarters gt 7 other guys 61 and lots of mirrors for every body in the off-season.

In 18 We will return a lot of skill players and the great majority of the O line. Others in our division also return a lot of players. Over last 4 years we are 50 50 with your brethren , so this is the " money" year. A good year will be measured by the way we play and not just the record. We play 3 top teams uga, clem, mia , 2 very competitive teams Louisville, Vt , 2 unknown team UNC and usf t, 2 crumy teams fcs and bowling green, and 3 average teams pitt, uva, and Duke (.Note we lost to of the 3 average teams and the one we beat got way better when they went with freshman qb in last game).

I will be satisfied with coach and players we are 6-6 and finish strong and play as a team. I love the 15 team that was baptised in fire and now are grown men. These men will have young talent amounst them and be lead by Coach that is going to PERSONALLY prove the end of 17 was an anomaly. A great season with this schedule is 8 and 4.
Let's go hire coach some recruiter so he can build on next year.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Historically though, this is about on par with other coaching tenures at GT. Some people on here think that recruiting is this way because of CPJ, its not all on him, CPJ still has a good record of sending guys to the NFL. Look bigger picture at GT though from academics to crowd size.

Posters on saying that some of us are ok with mediocrity or average players = average wins, this is all true. However again, what do you change. How do you get guys like Nick Cubb to pick GT over Georgia?
Simple. You hire a coach that can get it done.

:rolleyes:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

As to your last sentence posted, maybe the question should also be asked of VT, UM, FSU, CU as well?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Almost every post in this thread misses the point. This issue isn't recruiting on a UGa, Clemson, etc level. We aren't even close to that.

If you look at 247's list of top players in Georgia, I counted 24 schools who have a commit from a higher rated Georgia HS player than we do. That's just ridiculous. We are recruiting at an FCS level in our own state. You can't blame facilities or funding for that. There are very few good recruiters on this staff, combined with the fact that kids don't want to play in this offense or practice against it. That's the problem.

Johnson needs to quit being so stubborn. Get rid of his Navy buddies, hire some recruiters, and add some spice to his offense. But it won't happen, and the decline of the program will continue.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Any true academic institution is at a disadvantage under the current system which is driven by big money. The only way it will change is if the college presidents decide to take control, change the entrance minimums and stop letting their athletic departments run their universities. Not likely to happen as long as the money rolls in. They also know that donations increase with the success of their athletic programs. Look at UNC as the poster child of academic fraud with basically no penalty. Just embarrassing that they got caught.