Paul Johnson era recruiting

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Air Force/Wofford....did you see the offer list from out latest running back commit? Let me know what see there.

I truly hope the kids brought in the past few classes pan out for us. I love our school and want nothing more than for us to succeed. I just see history repeating itself lately.

Back to recruiting - for example, an "elite" QB is graduating from the ATL metro area this year. He is even considered a dual-threat QB and the kid is not even considering us due to the system we run. It's tough to win 9+ games a year if you can't recruit elite talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I saw it and I also so his video. You seem to think that a service academy is the equivalent of a D3 school. History is not repeating itself, these last 3 classes are showing that from a pure talent standpoint. I'm sure the ONLY reason this dual threat QB is not considering Tech on the O. BTW are you talking about Fields? If so, many other factors went into his decision other than Tech's O.

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes I saw it and I also so his video. You seem to think that a service academy is the equivalent of a D3 school. History is not repeating itself, these last 3 classes are showing that from a pure talent standpoint. I'm sure the ONLY reason this dual threat QB is not considering Tech on the O. BTW are you talking about Fields? If so, many other factors went into his decision other than Tech's O.

Yes, Fields is the player I was talking about.

When PJ first came on board, I honestly thought we would get the attention of more elite dual threat QBs. That has not happened which has been surprising.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Fields is the player I was talking about.

When PJ first came on board, I honestly thought we would get the attention of more elite dual threat QBs. That has not happened which has been surprising.

I agree with you in that it has been surprising, the O is tailor made for a top flight dual threat. IMO it's not the O that is keeping QBs away but more of the traditional issues faced by Tech in recruiting. Going back and looking at the QBs offered shows me that PJ and the coaches are doing their level best to get the best QBs they can. I have a lot of optimism with LJ and TO going forward, I know there 2 others they would like to get this year but the coaches feel good if they don't pick up a QB in the '18 class

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will get fast kids that don't fit the typical QB profile of size and passing ability. We will get guys who are athletes that major colleges want as wr's or db's but they want to still play QB in college. We need another JT to really move the needle on offense.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
It is hard to bring in superior talented QBs to play in our system like JT. Most of them want to avoid the hits that they take in the option offense. Michael Barrett would be perfect in our O, but will probably go somewhere else to play another position with hopes of going to the next level.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
What really surprises me is that we aren’t bringing in the top OL recruits to play in this offense. O-Linemen love to go on the attack and run the ball, way more than playing defense pass-blocking. At Tech we run it all day so why aren’t the best OL’s lining-up to come to what should be “THE O-Line Institute”? Sure the academics, but guys who play on OL are generally a smart group, and the fun of paving the way for 300 rushing yards a game should make Tech pretty attractive regardless.

And don’t give me that tired old crap about not getting noticed by the NFL. If you’ve got the tools for the next level, the NFL will *find* you no matter whether you play football at New Mexico or North Dakota State! And they for DAMN sure don’t miss someone in the freaking ACC. Hell the League has discovered & drafted FOUR wide receivers out of Paul Johnson’s tenure here (Jeune may be #5) and lord knows they get the least action of anybody on the team!
Ok backing off the soapbox now...

Don’t get me wrong I love CPJ and his system is clearly perfect for GT. I appreciate what he’s able to do overcoming our recruiting limitations, obstacles, and the fact we’re surrounded by 8 giants of college football. But it just seems like Offensive Linemen should be the easiest sell and the recruiting area where we excel. What’s the problem here?

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
What really surprises me is that we aren’t bringing in the top OL recruits to play in this offense. O-Linemen love to go on the attack and run the ball, way more than playing defense pass-blocking. At Tech we run it all day so why aren’t the best OL’s lining-up to come to what should be “THE O-Line Institute”? Sure the academics but guys who play on OL are generally a smart group and the fun of paving the way for 300 rushing yards a game should make Tech pretty attractive regardless.

And don’t give me that tired old crap about not getting noticed by the NFL. If you’ve got the tools for the next level, the NFL will *find* you whether you play football at New Mexico or North Dakota State, and they for DAMN sure don’t miss anyone in the freaking ACC. Hell the League has discovered & drafted FOUR wide receivers out of Paul Johnson’s tenure here (Jeune May be #5) and lord knows they get the least action of anybody on the team. Ok backing off the soapbox now.

Don’t get me wrong I love CPJ and his system is perfect for GT. I appreciate what he’s able to do overcoming our recruiting limitations, obstacles, and the fact we’re surrounded by 8 giants of college football. But it just seems like Offensive Linemen should be the easiest sell and the area where we excel.

I am not a fan of Tech's (Sewak's) philosophy in recruiting O linemen. It's almost impossible for an O lineman to get an offer from Tech without coming to camp. Since there is only one camp/year it really limits the pool that can be seen. This has to change to open the door to more options!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am not a fan of Tech's (Sewak's) philosophy in recruiting O linemen. It's almost impossible for an O lineman to get an offer from Tech without coming to camp. Since there is only one camp/year it really limits the pool that can be seen. This has to change to open the door to more options!
Did jazz Lee come via sewek? Iirc coach saw him on trip for big Campbell. Without Lee 16 would have been more like 17.
I wish sewak would retire.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech has finished with a top 3 class in the ACC only 1 time in school history. We have always been below average at recruiting, it’s not a recent development.

This is simultaneously, at least for me, amazing and disconcerting. Amazing that we have had the truly great years like 2016 and 2014 with what seems to be fewer resources and fewer high rated recruits. Disconcerting in that it is virtually impossible to continue with the smoke and mirrors for very long. Eventually, the recruiting has to get better. We made some strides last year and hopefully the administration will provide more in the way of staffing and resources to improve recruiting in the future. I presume that the one year we were in the top 3 in the ACC was 2007? We had some really mediocre if not downright poor recruiting classes in 2012 and 2013 thereabouts for reasons that escape me.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Historically though, this is about on par with other coaching tenures at GT. Some people on here think that recruiting is this way because of CPJ, its not all on him, CPJ still has a good record of sending guys to the NFL. Look bigger picture at GT though from academics to crowd size.

Posters on saying that some of us are ok with mediocrity or average players = average wins, this is all true. However again, what do you change. How do you get guys like Nick Cubb to pick GT over Georgia?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ gets an additional coach this year, maybe he will approach Megatron for the job. If nothing else, the star power alone should help with recruiting. He might even be able to inspire our QBs to improve their passing skills.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ gets an additional coach this year, maybe he will approach Megatron for the job. If nothing else, the star power alone should help with recruiting. He might even be able to inspire our QBs to improve their passing skills.
my friends like to joke that Calvin's WR coaching would be like... why didnt you just run a 4.3 and jump up between those 3 guys and catch it? it's easy

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This is simultaneously, at least for me, amazing and disconcerting. Amazing that we have had the truly great years like 2016 and 2014 with what seems to be fewer resources and fewer high rated recruits. Disconcerting in that it is virtually impossible to continue with the smoke and mirrors for very long. Eventually, the recruiting has to get better. We made some strides last year and hopefully the administration will provide more in the way of staffing and resources to improve recruiting in the future. I presume that the one year we were in the top 3 in the ACC was 2007? We had some really mediocre if not downright poor recruiting classes in 2012 and 2013 thereabouts for reasons that escape me.
It’s hilarious to me that Tech “fans” think we should be top 3 in recruiting in the ACC. Y’all really expect Tech to out-recruit FSU, Clemson, and Miami on our budget? It’s laughable. Louisville, NC State and VT also throw a substantially higher amount of money at recruiting than Tech does.

Let me spell it out for y’all. The actual Institute is UNattractive to a lot of potential student-athletes for a lot of reasons. Tech is not a “traditional” college experience, there are an extremely limited amount of majors, and not everyone wants to live in a city (gasp). All of those issues, among many others, must be overcome by the staff before we even get to issues with the actual football program. i.e. lacking competitive facilities, Russell contract, poor attendance, horrible budget.

Our “fans” then have the audacity to question why our current staff can’t recruit with major, national football powers while being handed a shoestring budget. Y’all are either trolling or ignorant to what it takes to run a competitive football program.

Frankly, it’s amazing that CPJ has accomplished what he has at Tech. Two of the past four years have been very good years, one was full of injuries, and this year wasn’t good. The staff is aware; they understand this year was not sufficient and are working to improve.

The point: If you’re going to criticize, provide valid criticism with knowledge of the barriers that the staff has to consistently overcome.

GTFLETCH

Banned
It’s hilarious to me that Tech “fans” think we should be top 3 in recruiting in the ACC. Y’all really expect Tech to out-recruit FSU, Clemson, and Miami on our budget? It’s laughable. Louisville, NC State and VT also throw a substantially higher amount of money at recruiting than Tech does.

Let me spell it out for y’all. The actual Institute is UNattractive to a lot of potential student-athletes for a lot of reasons. Tech is not a “traditional” college experience, there are an extremely limited amount of majors, and not everyone wants to live in a city (gasp). All of those issues, among many others, must be overcome by the staff before we even get to issues with the actual football program. i.e. lacking competitive facilities, Russell contract, poor attendance, horrible budget.

Our “fans” then have the audacity to question why our current staff can’t recruit with major, national football powers while being handed a shoestring budget. Y’all are either trolling or ignorant to what it takes to run a competitive football program.

Frankly, it’s amazing that CPJ has accomplished what he has at Tech. Two of the past four years have been very good years, one was full of injuries, and this year wasn’t good. The staff is aware; they understand this year was not sufficient and are working to improve.

The point: If you’re going to criticize, provide valid criticism with knowledge of the barriers that the staff has to consistently overcome.
#Truth

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yep, this is so true. We are competing with schools like Air Force and Wofford for recruits right now. Until that changes, we can expect 5-7 wins per year.

We were within a hair's breath of beating Miami and Tennessee. Same players. Was it athletic ability? I don't think so.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Last night, I went to dinner in Athens. Just as we ordered, the waitress comes over over and says, "the UGA football team is coming and will be entertaining a number of recruits. Please stand and cheer when they arrive."

I couldn't bring myself to do it, but I didn't want to embarrass my date either. So I went through the motions.

What was interesting to me was the smiles on these kids faces ... on walking into a crowded restaurant and receiving standing O's.

I've lived in Atlanta for 35 years and never seen this with a Tech squad. Intangibles like this, it seems to me, just scream "please join us".