Pat McAfee Show Georgia Tech

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
100%

That was a massacre...had our defense played better, it would have been a LOT worse. The offense was slaying defenses the back half of that season. It was really fun to watch.

Very true. We had a couple key stops and at least 1 turnover early that made it a blowout. Without those it would have been a shootout instead.

CGC did leave for UF prior to the bowl game though, so at least you can't blame the prep on him. That matters because it's so different from anything else another team would throw at them.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Very true. We had a couple key stops and at least 1 turnover early that made it a blowout. Without those it would have been a shootout instead.

CGC did leave for UF prior to the bowl game though, so at least you can't blame the prep on him. That matters because it's so different from anything else another team would throw at them.

I highly doubt he didn't leave a game plan. Honestly collin's most endearing thing about him is he cares about his players so i fully expect that even though he was in florida he made a game plan.... it didn't work. We saw similiar attempted things against citadel (firing backside safety to trail a-back to alley spoiler alert ifhe makes the tackle its a 7 yard gain or more etc)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yikes! at 4:04 minute mark, he says they've "been meeting as an SEC head coaches' group every week..."
yeah heard that as well but none of the interviewers reacted so was glad he just moved on. Honest mistake and he was likely thinking about the SEC decision to cancel ACC crossover games.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Lol, to be fair, it was his defense though. People with size. Was his defense undersized vs The Citadel last fall? Size isn’t everything.
To be fair, preparing to play the CPJ's spread option requires extreme discipline and trust in your teammates to do their jobs. We have no idea of how MSU prepared to play us and what their coaches did to get them ready. Would that have been different if CGC was still there? Don't know. What I do know is we kicked some major *** that night.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
To be fair, preparing to play the CPJ's spread option requires extreme discipline and trust in your teammates to do their jobs. We have no idea of how MSU prepared to play us and what their coaches did to get them ready. Would that have been different if CGC was still there? Don't know. What I do know is we kicked some major *** that night.
Basically this. CPJ teams routinely trounced teams the first time they saw the option. Combine that, 2014 being the peak of the offense, and the general disarray around the MSU defense losing their coaching staff, it’s no surprise we ran all over them.

It was a great game. I enjoyed it thoroughly. But to somehow hold that over Geoff as “proof” of some shortcoming is dumb.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Coach Johnson’s offense was awesome and worked but it took a stud QB in that system and consistent OLine play to work. Johnson couldn’t get that consistently at GT. If he would have then he’d still be here. Instead, between Nesbitt and Thomas we had solid QB’s and a game here and there where it gelled. I love Johnson’s offense and I’ll go to my grave lamenting that Johnson didn’t innovate his system. Somewhere a young, smart coach will emerge at a school that will run triple based themes yet be varied for shotgun and a short passing game and that guy will succeed.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach Johnson’s offense was awesome and worked but it took a stud QB in that system and consistent OLine play to work. Johnson couldn’t get that consistently at GT. If he would have then he’d still be here. Instead, between Nesbitt and Thomas we had solid QB’s and a game here and there where it gelled. I love Johnson’s offense and I’ll go to my grave lamenting that Johnson didn’t innovate his system. Somewhere a young, smart coach will emerge at a school that will run triple based themes yet be varied for shotgun and a short passing game and that guy will succeed.
I agree with what you're saying, and don't want to spark another debate, but offense was never the problem in CPJ's tenure. Should he have innovated more? Absolutely. But that wasn't the biggest problem; that was having a competent defense, which we still really haven't had since Tenuta (08 and 13 had fine defenses, I wouldn't say they were above average though)

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree. But part of the reason our defense was weak was the negative recruiting regarding the offense. And as much as I hate to admit it because I like Johnson, it worked. The negative recruiting drumbeat by every team in the southeast absolutely worked and Johnson instead of trying to fight against it just became more entrenched. I kinda, sorta loved it because of the old school take it or leave it attitude, but I’m not a 16-18 year old high school male. And they clearly didn’t buy it which is why our classes were ranked lowly and our depth was not good. With every passing year it (whether true or not) the perception of GT football was all about Johnson and not about GT. Collins has completely turned that over as its all about the 404, Waffle House, GT, etc, etc.

I actually asked a guy at work who is a typical fan of football (not a super fan of any particular team) what he thought of GT going into this year. He had no clue what our coaches name was but he brought up the Waffle House stuff and the barrage of marketing of GT. He said he’s pulling for GT just because of the hype even though he doesn’t know the coach or any players name. That‘s classic marketing success.