passing more on first down

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This may sound crazy, but I think it's what we are gonna have to do to start moving the ball consistently again. We are a running team first and foremost. But our passing game has the potential to deliver massive blows to the opposition. It works well when the defense expects run. It works less well when the defense expects pass.

I think it was the Vandy game last year that we opened with a pass on first down and went for a TD.

In general, I like CPJ's play calling ... but we don't seem to execute big plays like that with consistency. It's a good thought though.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This may sound crazy, but I think it's what we are gonna have to do to start moving the ball consistently again. We are a running team first and foremost. But our passing game has the potential to deliver massive blows to the opposition. It works well when the defense expects run. It works less well when the defense expects pass.

The real trick is getting the the defense to expect run and to amass assets to stop it. Well guess what, they already are and they're doing it ON FIRST DOWN. It's the best time throw, imo. I know, I know, staying "on schedule" is critical in this offense, but if we're not moving the sticks on the ground with our usual bag of actions and counteractions, we must do something else. I also know our qb is not the best passer, but we have some big/strong receivers with sure hands most of the time, we have to give them the opportunity to make plays.

Where has the smoke route gone? It's usually good for at least five and usually a lot more if the wr can make the first guy miss.

We tell receivers in their recruiting "you're gonna see man coverage" and then we hear receivers say "man coverage is a receiver's dream." Well it's about time we start taking advantage of it.... early, when they least expect it, when they're the most vulnerable.

Instead of running to throw, we're gonna have to flip the script... throw to run.

Been saying this for a long time.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Yet every route we run seems to be a vertical. What do we expect to happen?

I still don't understand why we don't exploit the middle of the field with our passing game. Everyone else does. We are supposed to see run and shoot options in the passing game, but we mostly only see vertical routes.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Teams have figured out that we do not have an effective passing game so until we can punish 8 or 9 in the box we will not be able to sustain long drives. We may hit a few long passes for TD's but they better be enough to open up the run game. So far we have not shown any reason to change their alignments.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Since running Benson up the middle has been our most effective play lately, I think it would be good for us to run some classic play-action passes. We probably need to change up the routes a bit and vary the first read. Since TaQuon doesn’t have time to make progressions, some variation could really burn defenses that think they have us figured out. Right now it seems like defenses just need to load the box and cover Ricky.

Jmonty71

Banned
Is there anything about GT Football you like?
Right now? Not really. I like the idea of how the offense works. We've seen it work. When it works, it's like a fine oiled machine. But, right now.. Just too many misses. I think if we are going to open the passing game, we need to work on route running. I think TM has some mad skills. His accuracy needs to be improved. But, he has the skill set. The O line should be better, but (for some reason) is not. I am pleasantly surprised with the D. We are doing better than I thought, we would. However; there is room for improvement.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
There are a several problems with our pass game.--Having a new QB is huge one.--Oddly the rain has been a big factor for the whole OFF,we have to establish run to pass and can't.-- The Off does not lend itself to passing well
(no TE so a 190 lb Aback blocking on a 240 LB/DE and our Oline is light built for running/moving,etc)--- also, The Oline has just not blocked well esp a certain guy,not to be mentioned.
Of course this has been an ongoing problem for yrs .see '15, etc

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
To have an effective passing game you must have an OL that can pass block and receivers who can get free and run good, consistent routes and then catch balls that are delivered by the QB on time and on target. Seems like one or more of these necessities are missing from game to game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Right now? Not really. I like the idea of how the offense works. We've seen it work. When it works, it's like a fine oiled machine. But, right now.. Just too many misses. I think if we are going to open the passing game, we need to work on route running. I think TM has some mad skills. His accuracy needs to be improved. But, he has the skill set. The O line should be better, but (for some reason) is not. I am pleasantly surprised with the D. We are doing better than I thought, we would. However; there is room for improvement.
It's not like we've never had teams stack the box and dare us to throw before. What did we do in the past? We did what we tried to do at Uva and failed. There were multiple reasons why it failed, not just the qb, but he was primary.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To have an effective passing game you must have an OL that can pass block and receivers who can get free and run good, consistent routes and then catch balls that are delivered by the QB on time and on target. Seems like one or more of these necessities are missing from game to game.
Yep. Sometimes time heals all wounds. Next year we'll have Andy Marshall back at tackle and Jaz Lee will be a year older/more experienced, a huge piece of the pass pro puzzle is tackle. TM will be a year older as will the two young guns behind him. Juene will be gone, but he's not exactly the trump card Jet had in Smelter. We have to develop/find another one. Maybe Camp can be that guy.

I was hoping it was Stewart, but it just hasn't happened. The thing I liked the most about his hs film was the way he beat defenders... not with speed, but with position and physicality. That's exactly what we need now. Speed would be a nice bonus.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
This thread needs a bump. You nailed it Cheese. Quon overthrew Ricky on the first play of the game but after that he made the throws, and had time to throw it. None bigger than the last one. Man we needed that.