passing more on first down

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This may sound crazy, but I think it's what we are gonna have to do to start moving the ball consistently again. We are a running team first and foremost. But our passing game has the potential to deliver massive blows to the opposition. It works well when the defense expects run. It works less well when the defense expects pass.

The real trick is getting the the defense to expect run and to amass assets to stop it. Well guess what, they already are and they're doing it ON FIRST DOWN. It's the best time throw, imo. I know, I know, staying "on schedule" is critical in this offense, but if we're not moving the sticks on the ground with our usual bag of actions and counteractions, we must do something else. I also know our qb is not the best passer, but we have some big/strong receivers with sure hands most of the time, we have to give them the opportunity to make plays.

Where has the smoke route gone? It's usually good for at least five and usually a lot more if the wr can make the first guy miss.

We tell receivers in their recruiting "you're gonna see man coverage" and then we hear receivers say "man coverage is a receiver's dream." Well it's about time we start taking advantage of it.... early, when they least expect it, when they're the most vulnerable.

Instead of running to throw, we're gonna have to flip the script... throw to run.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
This may sound crazy, but I think it's what we are gonna have to do to start moving the ball consistently again. We are a running team first and foremost. But our passing game has the potential to deliver massive blows to the opposition. It works well when the defense expects run. It works less well when the defense expects pass.

The real trick is getting the the defense to expect run and to amass assets to stop it. Well guess what, they already are and they're doing it ON FIRST DOWN. It's the best time throw, imo. I know, I know, staying "on schedule" is critical in this offense, but if we're not moving the sticks on the ground with our usual bag of actions and counteractions, we must do something else. I also know our qb is not the best passer, but we have some big/strong receivers with sure hands most of the time, we have to give them the opportunity to make plays.

Where has the smoke route gone? It's usually good for at least five and usually a lot more if the wr can make the first guy miss.

We tell receivers in their recruiting "you're gonna see man coverage" and then we hear receivers say "man coverage is a receiver's dream." Well it's about time we start taking advantage of it.... early, when they least expect it, when they're the most vulnerable.

Instead of running to throw, we're gonna have to flip the script... throw to run.
I think we've seen some of that. The problem is we can't consistently make defenses pay for loading the box. The last few games I kept asking myself why do we throw so much when we aren't very good at it....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we've seen some of that. The problem is we can't consistently make defenses pay for loading the box. The last few games I kept asking myself why do we throw so much when we aren't very good at it....
That's why you go to leverage throws rather than ones that require separation. Throw it up where only your guy can get it and let him go get it. JT and Smelter made a hot living off of this. We have to be able to give TM 3 seconds, if not, all bets are off anyway.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
That's why you go to leverage throws rather than ones that require separation. Throw it up where only your guy can get it and let him go get it. JT and Smelter made a hot living off of this. We have to be able to give TM 3 seconds, if not, all bets are off anyway.
Wish we could have that duo back again. Dy-no-mite!!

Jmonty71

Banned

That sounds all great. But, the issue is... We are very limited on passing routes. TM drops back, to throw it 30+ yards down the field. No quick slants. No quick outs, no screens... Just poor blocking, TM running for his life and TM either running or throwing a crappy pass. The idea of passing to loosen the 7-9 in the box, is valid. However; the OL is so terrible at blocking, it does not do any good.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It seems like everytime we throw the ball it's for a long, low percentage success rate pass, where's the intermediate get the 1st down routes gone too?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't trying to call anyone out. We typically throw deep and complete 50%. Nobody was complaining last November when we threw deep against the Dwags.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The "trick" is to give or players plays they can execute. And have enough imagination to realize that sometimes it is not always best to drop back from under center.

Unless, of course, your real motive is to give our guys things they can not execute so you can claim "we tried that and it did not work.".

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The way UVA was playing, and I believe Clemson and Wake as well, was selling out to stop the outside pitch and controlling the middle with 3 guys. CPJ said that yesterday. Not disagreeing on 1st down pass just saying it's been available and so has the inside. We just aren't doing it. Maybe throwing on 1st down would make pass blocking and getting open easier. Whatever, but we are going to have to hit some passes or people are going to just keep selling out with their safeties. Our QB needs to learn to step up and throw the ball as well instead of first impulse to always flush to the outside and run. He has missed some. Green was wide open for a TD against Clemson and he was too focused on the rush. A step back or two in that case would have been an easy TD. I think Marshall offers some interesting benefits including unreal quickness and speed as well as slippery but his in pocket presence has not been good. It's not all him, the tackle blocking has been very weak.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That sounds all great. But, the issue is... We are very limited on passing routes. TM drops back, to throw it 30+ yards down the field. No quick slants. No quick outs, no screens... Just poor blocking, TM running for his life and TM either running or throwing a crappy pass. The idea of passing to loosen the 7-9 in the box, is valid. However; the OL is so terrible at blocking, it does not do any good.

Is there anything about GT Football you like?

The way UVA was playing, and I believe Clemson and Wake as well, was selling out to stop the outside pitch and controlling the middle with 3 guys. CPJ said that yesterday. Not disagreeing on 1st down pass just saying it's been available and so has the inside. We just aren't doing it. Maybe throwing on 1st down would make pass blocking and getting open easier. Whatever, but we are going to have to hit some passes or people are going to just keep selling out with their safeties. Our QB needs to learn to step up and throw the ball as well instead of first impulse to always flush to the outside and run. He has missed some. Green was wide open for a TD against Clemson and he was too focused on the rush. A step back or two in that case would have been an easy TD. I think Marshall offers some interesting benefits including unreal quickness and speed as well as slippery but his in pocket presence has not been good. It's not all him, the tackle blocking has been very weak.

And as we always seem to miss and forget, last Saturday was his 8th game as a starting quarterback in College. Basically meaning a Freshman.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

We've run several screens. Haven't gotten much out of them, like the screen to Jeune against Miami when he went one way and the O line went the other.
There are underneath routes, when we don't keep an A back in for extra protection. Maybe Taquon has his heart and mind set on going for the big play every time. We had some underneath stuff against Virginia, but it looked covered.