Passing game

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So I have just a question/observation about last night's performance. I was at the game and it sure seemed that Graham was way off the mark on most throws. Granted accuracy has not been consistent but yesterday was bad. Also seems like we are missing multiple open outlets and locking onto certain reads. However, in many attempts when a blitz was evidently coming we didn't seem to have an easy throw or check down crossing the middle of the field. Am I just missing it? And its there? In general I just wonder what caused such a poor performance or just a one off game?

From Graham's side he had a bad game, and that isn't to be unexpected from a freshman QB playing behind a bad line. It may be a one off game, but

From a scheme standpoint, if the opponent is playing tight coverage it's not easy to get a short pass in. And when opponents blitz there is probably a hole where the blitzer came from but being able to take advantage of that relies on having a receiver in the area vacated by the blitzing defender. Having a crossing route probably doesn't help if the opponent sends a corner blitz. So either you have to get "lucky" and call a play that already has that, or you have to have a team experienced enough to be able to recognize the defense and make the adjustments at the line. The other solution is to have good enough blocking to some times pick up the blitz and give the WRs time to get open to burn opponents that way. And even so, you can have checkdowns and easier throws but they aren't instant and it isn't instant for a freshman QB to go through his progressions to find it. There are too many times where the blocking has allowed defenders in the backfield almost untouched and there is no solution for that.

There isn't always a magic solution a coach can find.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
We have an Ole Miss Transfer and a Vandy Transfer along with a TE from UConn starting.... I am tired of hearing that this OLine is not D1.... The issue us we need P5 Coaching....
I don't like to mention players exactly but have you watched our Vandy transfer on passing downs. He has consistently given up pressure and sacks ever since he's been moved from guard to tackle. Jack Defoor is a quality player, but Jared Southers just doesn't have the feet to play tackle. And William Lay, although he's played well, is not the starting D1 center that Kenny Cooper is. He's a really good depth piece. While I have no clue what the future holds with this staff, I'm fairly sure you won't keep this same energy toward the coaching staff once we start winning more games

You act as though Tyler Davis is David Njoku transferring to us, he is not. Jared Southers is not Quenton Nelson transferring to us. And while Jack Defoor is good he'd be better served at tackle.

Last edited:

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
You act as though Tyler Davis is David Njoku transferring to us, he is not. Jared Southers is not Quenton Nelson transferring to us. And while Jack Defoor is good he'd be better served at tackle.

I don't like to mention players exactly but have you watched our Vandy transfer on passing downs. He has consistently given up pressure and sacks ever since he's been moved from guard to tackle. Jack Defoor is a quality player, but Jared Southers just doesn't have the feet to play tackle. And William Lay, although he's played well, is not the starting D1 center that Kenny Cooper is. He's a really good depth piece. While I have no clue what the future holds with this staff, I'm fairly sure you won't keep this same energy toward the coaching staff once we start winning more games

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Considering the circumstances, i thought the OL was decent for what we were trying to execute

Graham just had a Freshman who only has 4 starts game yesterday. Not a fan of pulling bc everyone you go thru the growing pains together but i get bc you are still trying to win.

The right side of the OL play is particularly bad. But, we are starting/playing walk-ons against P5 DLs. Why would anyone expect anything from JG except limited success?

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Go watch SMU or WAKE throw the ball all over the field and tell me why we can't complete more than 3 passes per game. I'm waiting.

I get the idea of giving this staff time to develop, recruit their players, get time in the film/weight room...BUT I just don't see PatenFraude doing anything to give us hope for the future. His offense makes mental mistakes and yes...missed blocks, dropped passes, fumbles and missed throws are mental mistakes. The whole idea of waiting three years for them to get their sheet together is garbage.
Not to mention incredibly long snap counts, and at the most crucial point of the game, when we at least had a chance to make a move. That is also my chief gripe about Lucas. He takes longer snap counts than any of the QBs we have used.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Go watch SMU or WAKE throw the ball all over the field and tell me why we can't complete more than 3 passes per game. I'm waiting.
Not so sure about Wake but SMU getting a transfer QB that was a 4* coming out of high school and started as a true freshman at Texas has a lot to do with their success.

Deleted member 2897

So I have just a question/observation about last night's performance. I was at the game and it sure seemed that Graham was way off the mark on most throws. Granted accuracy has not been consistent but yesterday was bad. Also seems like we are missing multiple open outlets and locking onto certain reads. However, in many attempts when a blitz was evidently coming we didn't seem to have an easy throw or check down crossing the middle of the field. Am I just missing it? And its there? In general I just wonder what caused such a poor performance or just a one off game?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, and no offense to JG (I really like him), but he’s an athlete trying to play QB. I don’t mean that to sound as negative as that probably seems. But there’s a whole range of reading the defense, setting your feet, recognizing blitzes, etc etc etc that he’s trying to learn on the job.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I get the idea of giving this staff time to develop, recruit their players, get time in the film/weight room...BUT I just don't see PatenFraude doing anything to give us hope for the future. His offense makes mental mistakes and yes...missed blocks, dropped passes, fumbles and missed throws are mental mistakes. The whole idea of waiting three years for them to get their sheet together is garbage.
Thank You!!! & Penalties

GTFLETCH

Banned
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, and no offense to JG (I really like him), but he’s an athlete trying to play QB. I don’t mean that to sound as negative as that probably seems. But there’s a whole range of reading the defense, setting your feet, recognizing blitzes, etc etc etc that he’s trying to learn on the job.
I agree and that is why coaching is so important.....