Pass more?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
If we can catch them napping a time or two, that is our best bet. But only an incredible catch kept us from being 0 for 8 vs uva. Passing game will have to wait until next year, imo. We will see.
A passing game like we had against Miami could give us a chance. 3 for 4 with some very clutch receptions. They're probably about the same level defensively, but Ugag is much better offensively.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
A passing game like we had against Miami could give us a chance. 3 for 4 with some very clutch receptions. They're probably about the same level defensively, but Ugag is much better offensively.

Yeah. I think UVA has a better D than uga. Not quite as good as Clemson’s. Mutt D may be about as good as Duke’s was. But the mutts may be better offensively than Clemson is. Gonna be a tough hill to climb and I won’t complain if they overlook us ahead of Bama and wet the bed against us.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
To be clear, I am not expecting whatever we do Saturday to work either. But that is more because of who is running our system this year instead of the system itself. More importantly, not many systems have had much success against this group of UGA players the last couple of years.

I feel pretty confident saying I think we get blown out if we pass 25 times though.

I was thinking more along the lines of 12-15 passes, tops. We need to complete at least four times the average of the 1.5 passes we've averaged completing over the last 4 games to have a chance. I don't think we need a completely balanced offense, but we need more balance than was necessary to win the last four.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I was thinking more along the lines of 12-15 passes, tops. We need to complete at least four times the average of the 1.5 passes we've averaged completing over the last 4 games to have a chance. I don't think we need a completely balanced offense, but we need more balance than was necessary to win the last four.
The question would be, how good is Ugag's defense compared to the last few defenses we've faced. If they're Miami level, or UVA level, then, if we play well (if good Georgia Tech rolls into Athens), we could score 30'ish on them. If we can play EXTREMELY opportunistic defense with some help from them, then we'll have a chance. Boy, I'd love to see an upset!!! We need that. CFB needs that. I'd honestly love for GT to beat Ugag, then Ugag to beat Alabama just to send CFB into a circus, and destroy narratives.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
This year seems as if we’ve passed less than any other year that I can remember.

We’re gonna have to pass some this week though. I guarantee, or we will get demolished.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Miami also fumbled 3X and handed us that game. Check the stats - the QB Keeper got stuffed by da U.
Marshall had 92 yards. A lot of it off of keep plays that were designed as such. Again you show you have no grasp on football knowledge. A QB run for no gain in this offense is the same thing as a throwaway in an air raid or a checkdown to a back for 1 yard.

slugboy

Staff member
To be clear, I am not expecting whatever we do Saturday to work either. But that is more because of who is running our system this year instead of the system itself. More importantly, not many systems have had much success against this group of UGA players the last couple of years.

I feel pretty confident saying I think we get blown out if we pass 25 times though.

I think you’ve got correlation and causation backwards here. Passing won’t cause a blowout, but if we’re getting blown out we’ll be passing a lot more. I think it’s the case with the other numbers you’re posting too.

CPJ avoids passing unless he has to. If he’s winning, he doesn’t have to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah. I think UVA has a better D than uga. Not quite as good as Clemson’s. Mutt D may be about as good as Duke’s was. But the mutts may be better offensively than Clemson is. Gonna be a tough hill to climb and I won’t complain if they overlook us ahead of Bama and wet the bed against us.

I know you’re saying in your opinion. I’d agree they aren’t as good as Clemson, but they’re better than UVA or Duke by a good bit. Fairly close to Miami on defense but much better on offense. I think their front seven is going to be one of the better ones we played outside of Clemson

Pittsburgh is nothing close, and we did nothing for a half against them

I also hope they’re prepping for Alabama instead of us

Let’s look at the stats

FEI Defense
=========
1 Alabama
2. Clemson
11 Miami
12 App State
14 Kentucky
20 Auburn
24 Georgia
26 Boston College
30 Virginia
36 Florida
38 Duke
49 FSU
59 Army
60 Tennessee
86 Pittsburgh
91 South Florida
92 GT

S&P Defense
========
1. Clemson
5. Alabama
9. Kentucky
10 Miami
15 Georgia
16 App State
20 Auburn
25 Boston College
34 Florida
37 Virginia
43 FSU
46 Duke
73 South Florida
77 Pittsburgh
96 Georgia Tech

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To me, just saying "we need to pass more" is like saying we need to "kick more field goals". Kicking more field goals isn't going to win us more games. But not being able to kick a field goal certainly could lose us games. But we shouldn't be lining up on 1st and 10 from the 25 to kick field goals just for the heck of it.

If
we're moving the ball, scoring TDs and winning with the run, why should we pass more? But if running first isn't working, we should be good enough to complete passes.

It's not a zero sum thing. We should try to be good enough running to not have to pass and good enough passing to be successful when we need/want to. Quality, not quantity.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Huge fan of our offense, especially those games that we control TOP with demoralizing drives without throwing a single pass. We don't have to pass to win, nor should we.

However, for this offense to click on all cylinders, especially against good teams that put 9 in the box, we need to make them respect a legitimate passing threat. Right now we don't do that reliably, but it's not a scheme problem.

The problem is how do you answer the question of how to have a legitimate passing threat in this scheme? It does no good to say that in theory our scheme is fine if we can get x y and z, if in reality we can't get x,y, and z. I think most people will say something along the lines of "we just need the right QB". I have two issues with that. The first is that passing ability isn't just some innate thing. You have to practice it, and you have to have a QB get in rhythm during games. I think so many people look at missed passes and say, oh with just a better throw...., but don't stop to consider that perhaps the reason for the poor throw is that the QB has no rhythm passing. WHy do you think when back up QBs are put in, that they either hand it off, have called plays, or if you know they will play the rest of the way, try to get them easy passes? The second thing is I don't think QB is the biggest problem passing. I think pass blocking and WR separation are. Right now our passing game relies almost entirely on fooling defenses to get WRs open. If the defense isn't fooled, we don't get separation, and we also don't give our WRs time to get separation because of poor pass blocking. Occasionally we've had WRs good enough to make play without separation. The two big names in that regard are Bebe who wasn't recruited for this offense, and Smelter who was his own unique situation. While we've had a couple other good (Hill) and solid (Ricky) neither of those led to defenses really respecting the pass.

I think at the end of the day the scheme may not be the issue from a theoretical point when it comes to establishing a passing threat, but i think practically it is.

If we're moving the ball, scoring TDs and winning with the run, why should we pass more? But if running first isn't working, we should be good enough to complete passes.

So can you be good enough to pass when you need to if you never pass when you don't?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Please point out where I EVER EVER EVER said throwing is "key to success"
we need to be a bit more balanced
All I've ever said is that we need more balance and less predictability.

Asking for more balance is literally asking for us to pass more. I have shown several teams with varying amount of pass/run balance that have failed in the previous weeks. The proof is there. We don’t need more balance, we need to be better when we throw it. We threw it 8 times, and if we his just one more (the one we got held on) the game doesn’t see OT.

But our offense looked mostly terrible and that opinion has plenty of basis in reality because I watched every play.
We scored more points per drive against UVA than they average. You can whine that they are a #48 ranked team, but their defense is good and they played us tough. When a good offense and a good defense play, there is going to be struggle. Despite that we scored over 2 points a drive and had help from our ST to add even more points.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Imo
When we pass better we will pass more and win big against very good teams.

W a good defense and special team and a special qb
Uva 7 of 13
Ncst 7 of 8
Clemson 8 of 11
Uga 6 of 16
Fsu 8-14
Msu 7-11
18 it is what it is.
Uva cemented the option at ga tech and coach for the remaining years of his contract.
Question is How do we pass more without a special qb.

We will pass more next year - count on it .

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
To me, just saying "we need to pass more" is like saying we need to "kick more field goals". Kicking more field goals isn't going to win us more games. But not being able to kick a field goal certainly could lose us games. But we shouldn't be lining up on 1st and 10 from the 25 to kick field goals just for the heck of it.

If
we're moving the ball, scoring TDs and winning with the run, why should we pass more? But if running first isn't working, we should be good enough to complete passes.

It's not a zero sum thing. We should try to be good enough running to not have to pass and good enough passing to be successful when we need/want to. Quality, not quantity.

I agree with this. What I'm saying is that we probably won't be good enough running to win with just that so we'd better be prepared to mix some passing. We will need to throw the football, probably more than we have in the four previous games combined.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

This is reasonable, and in line with how much we have passed per game in most seasons under CPJ. I am just not sure that these two particular QBs are the guys to do that against UGA next Saturday. That said, maybe you are right that we need something big and out of the ordinary to get that win and that would be the thing.

If we do hit a bunch of big play action passes, I know I will be the first one cheering!!!

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think you’ve got correlation and causation backwards here. Passing won’t cause a blowout, but if we’re getting blown out we’ll be passing a lot more. I think it’s the case with the other numbers you’re posting too.

CPJ avoids passing unless he has to. If he’s winning, he doesn’t have to.

You are correct that the numbers I cited do not show that we cannot win a lot if we pass a lot. And that was not my intent. My intent was to show that we can, and in fact have, won a lot when we don't pass a lot. In other words, passing a lot is not necessary (not that we can't win if we pass more). My intent was to rebut those that say our scheme basically causes a ceiling that we cannot get above and that we simply cannot beat the best teams without passing a lot. The data flatly refutes that.

Wreckaholic

Georgia Tech Fan
Haven't watched UGA but it comes down to the matchup and specifically [1]how good have they been against power running game teams, [2] how disciplined aremail they, and [3] are current ILBS Roquan Smith types.

I think we will have more success running against them than many anticipate.

Our passing struggles are exactly what was mentioned above- not scheme related but separation and pass blocking. I'd add that our 2018 QBS have two issues. First they tend to lock onto a WR and don't do a very good job of going through progressions. Second, they don't do a good job of stepping up in the pocket to buy a little more time.

These could also be repetition and rhythm issues.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
2010 independence bowl
Air force
5 OF 13

1. GOT to pass before way behind schedule on downs or remaining time.

I was there in 10 .
here i am again today. and it's still near the end of the road.