Overall ACC Finish

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
With today's results we finished 2nd in the Coastal and tied for 4th overall in the ACC.

1. Clemson (8-0)
2. Pittsburgh (6-2)
2. Syracuse (6-2)
4. Georgia Tech (5-3)
4. NC State (5-3)
6. Virginia (4-4)
6. Miami (4-4)
6. Virginia Tech (4-4)
6. Boston College (4-4)
10. Duke (3-5)
10. Florida State (3-5)
10. Wake Forest (3-5)
13. North Carolina (1-7)
14. Louisville (0-8)

On another level, this is very sad.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
With today's results we finished 2nd in the Coastal and tied for 4th overall in the ACC.

1. Clemson (8-0)
2. Pittsburgh (6-2) hasn’t played Clem yet
2. Syracuse (6-2)
4. Georgia Tech (5-3)
4. NC State (5-3)
6. Virginia (4-4) didn’t play Clem
6. Miami (4-4) didn’t play Clem
6. Virginia Tech (4-4) didn’t play Clem
6. Boston College (4-4)
10. Duke (3-5)
10. Florida State (3-5)
10. Wake Forest (3-5)
13. North Carolina (1-7) didn’t play Clem
14. Louisville (0-8)

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
How did Syracuse pass us?
In 13 we beat them 56 To 0.
What changed beside the coach?
While the coastal has UNC and a bunch of mediocre teams the Atlantic has a few more bottom dwellers that Syracuse pulled themselves out of. Means they can beat up on the trash tier Atlantic teams now and get more ACC wins.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
While the coastal has UNC and a bunch of mediocre teams the Atlantic has a few more bottom dwellers that Syracuse pulled themselves out of. Means they can beat up on the trash tier Atlantic teams now and get more ACC wins.

Not sure I agree with that. If you look at when Dino took over there were two teams in the 10-win range (FSU, Clemson) and two teams that were consistently 7-5-ish (Louisville, NC State). The bottom was Boston College, Syracuse, and Wake. This year the bottom dwellers swapped spots: FSU and Louisville went down while BC, Syracuse, and Wake moved up. You could say that Syracuse is playing well while FSU and Louisville and playing well below their talent level. Wake is still Wake: the occasional 7-5/6-6 sanwiched around a bunch of 4-8's.

Honestly, the whole "what changed, besides the coach?" question is a big deal. That previous Syracuse coaching staff was about as inept as I had seen and Dino's got them on the right track. They're trending up and it'll be interesting to see if he can maintain them at the 8-win level.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Where we finish is part of the bowl equation, but bowls also look at which team will bring them the most ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. GT, with its passionate, but small fanbase, sometimes gets skipped over. I am hoping that the Music City will be interested in us, as for me, that is a great location.
No way in heck GT goes to a Tier 1 Bowl after not even showing up in Athens. Not going to happen. You can take that to the bank. They will be among the least desirable selections at 7 wins because any chance of the fans showing up in numbers died somewhere around the 2nd Qtr in Athens. It will be Annapolis if we are lucky and otherwise Shreveport or maybe even Detroit. Annapolis might get 5k fans. The other two will get less than 2k.

GTFLETCH

Banned

1. Clemson (8-0)
2. Pittsburgh (6-2)
2. Syracuse (6-2)
4. Georgia Tech (5-3)
4. NC State (5-3)
6. Virginia (4-4)
6. Miami (4-4)
6. Virginia Tech (4-4)
6. Boston College (4-4)
10. Duke (3-5)
10. Florida State (3-5)
10. Wake Forest (3-5)
13. North Carolina (1-7)
14. Louisville (0-8)

Bowl Eligible
1. Clemson (8-0) 12-0 Won vs USCe
2. Pittsburgh (6-2) 7-5 lost bad to Miami
2. Syracuse (6-2) 9-3 Won vs BC
3. NC State (5-3) 8-3 Won vs UNC
3. Georgia Tech (5-3) 7-5 lost bad to UGA
4. Boston College (4-4) 7-5 lost to Cuse
4. Miami (4-4) 7-5 Won Big vs Pitt
4. Virginia (4-4) 7-5 Lost to VT
4. Virginia Tech (4-4) 5-6 Beat UVA
5. Duke (3-5) 7-5 Destroyed by Wake Forest
5. Wake Forest (3-5) 6-6 Destroyed Duke

My best guess: (UVA played Military Last Year, Duke palyed in Quick Lane)

1. CFP: Clemson
2. Camping World: Syracuse
3. Tier 1
--- Pinstripe: Pitt
--- Belk: NC State
--- Music City/Gator: Miami
--- Sun: Boston College
4. Military: Georgia Tech or VT
5. Independence: Georgia Tech or VT
6. Quick Lane: Virginia
7. Gasparilla: Duke
8. Birmingham Bowl: Wake Forest

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I believe the problem is CPJs *COACHING*, backed up by his stubbornness. How many times have you heard him insist the plays were there, but so-and-so didn't run the play right (and you can see that on the video that he's right). But here's the thing - after 10 years through players of all kinds of ratings, intelligence, talent, and tenure, if he can't coach his players to run the system, then that's on him. I don't care what the system is, but you have to be able to coach it. We've had very senior offensive lines at times (for example), like 2015 and strangely we couldn't figure out what to do half the time.

I think the "lose the fanbase" problem started with that TN game. The repose since then has been constant:
- No defense (the D is actually better this year, but the result isn't different enough to translate onto the scoreboard)
- Atrocious special teams
- An offense that can't deliver when it actually seriously matters and, worse than that, tends to turn it over when it really matters
Self-destruction and being mentally unprepared is the fastest way to lose the GT fanbase. That's been the case for two years now.

I remember when Bill Curry was fired or let go and in walked in Bobby Ross (No one thought he could turn Tech around) and then whammy....1990 happened.... Anyone else amazed at what Bronco Mendenhall has done thus far at Virginia, Dino Babers at Cuse?? I do love Tech and Coach Johnson... But to act like we need to shut the football program down when he leaves or retires is being foolish.
Bill Curry took the head coaching job at Alabama

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
1. Their QB, Eric Dungey. He's going to play on Sunday.
2. ?
3. ?

I'm sure there are other reasons but I watched a little of them this year and their QB is a difference maker for them. They should fall back some without him around.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Last edited:

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I agree with that. If you look at when Dino took over there were two teams in the 10-win range (FSU, Clemson) and two teams that were consistently 7-5-ish (Louisville, NC State). The bottom was Boston College, Syracuse, and Wake. This year the bottom dwellers swapped spots: FSU and Louisville went down while BC, Syracuse, and Wake moved up. You could say that Syracuse is playing well while FSU and Louisville and playing well below their talent level. Wake is still Wake: the occasional 7-5/6-6 sanwiched around a bunch of 4-8's.

Honestly, the whole "what changed, besides the coach?" question is a big deal. That previous Syracuse coaching staff was about as inept as I had seen and Dino's got them on the right track. They're trending up and it'll be interesting to see if he can maintain them at the 8-win level.
I see what you’re saying but I think you misinterpreted my “bottom dwellers” I didn’t mean any particular teams (well maybe WF) I just meant the Atlantic consistently has the highest ACC teams as well as more of the lowest whereas the coastal has a lot of the mid-range teams. If you’re a mid-range team in the Atlantic you can rack up more ACC wins than being a mid range team in the coastal.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
1. Their QB, Eric Dungey. He's going to play on Sunday.
2. ?
3. ?

I'm sure there are other reasons but I watched a little of them this year and their QB is a difference maker for them. They should fall back some without him around.

This. Perfect example is UL and Lamar Jackson. They plummeted back to earth right fast once he left.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Syracuse, at the simplest level, it's two things this year.
  1. Dungey, as others have said. They do not have a back-up that can run or throw like he can. Step back next year.
  2. Turnovers. They gained 30 turnovers. Think about that. 30. TO Margin was 14, good for #5 in the country. Not repeatable/predictable as GT, Miami and others have shown year to year. For context, Alabama had 21 turnovers gained on the year.
This year's Syracuse team is a 7 win team in last year's ACC. They will come back to earth next year. I do think they were a slightly better team than us this year, however the margin for error was thin. Someone had to separate from the pack e.g., Syracuse and Pitt this year, but it wasn't by much more than the bounce of the ball.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Goal posts aren't centered in the right place to have a reasonable discussion.

Imo, the Syracuse team we beat 56-0 might have been about as good as GT that year. One horrible gameplan does not make a season.

GT
upload_2018-11-26_9-20-48.png

Syracuse
upload_2018-11-26_9-21-14.png

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Ehhh

GT and Syracuse played about the same conference schedule this year. Both played Clemson, Pitt, UNC (lucky for Cuse) and Louisville (lucky for GT).

What's the difference between Wake Forest and Duke? One has to be careful how they answer that...

upload_2018-11-26_9-31-20.png