Over/under on sacks

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
But that's not the discussion.
what's your point? If you don't like my comment, ignore it. My comment is more relevant to the discussion than your WAG at a sack total.

The sacks may not change much from last year, but I think we'll have many more hurries,

which will lower:

1) Opponents completion percentage
2) Opponents 3rd down efficiency
3) Opponents time of possesion

and increase:

1) Number of interceptions
2) Number of passes defended

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Reasonable--I'd spot it about 25.

Tackles for loss was 61 last year. What do you think the over/under is for that?
I would probably say about the same 15-25% improvement. A 15% improvement in total defense will put us in top 25 for defense. I've always said if we limit turnovers on offense and have top 25 defense we will win 10 games at minimum

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
34, 25, 17, 22, 28, 34, 20
35, 36, 35, 41, 35, 39, 48

The top line is our sack total per year since 2008. The bottom line is vpi's.

I'd probably put the over/under at 30 but be inclined to the over.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
34, 25, 17, 22, 28, 34, 20
35, 36, 35, 41, 35, 39, 48

The top line is our sack total per year since 2008. The bottom line is vpi's.

I'd probably put the over/under at 30 but be inclined to the over.
Wow, only 25 in Derrick Morgan's final year. Also, 34 sacks 2 yrs ago is a surprise.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I may be wrong but I believe VPI blitzes more than we do. The pressure called by CTR will influence the sack total. I think in a CTR perfect world we pressure without as many blitzes. Thus get fewer sacks but may play the run better and play better coverage.

I am a huge CTR fan. But was also a big fan of Tenuta's scheme. I've always thought CPJ + a Tenuta type scheme would be the perfect combo.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I may be wrong but I believe VPI blitzes more than we do. The pressure called by CTR will influence the sack total. I think in a CTR perfect world we pressure without as many blitzes. Thus get fewer sacks but may play the run better and play better coverage.

I am a huge CTR fan. But was also a big fan of Tenuta's scheme. I've always thought CPJ + a Tenuta type scheme would be the perfect combo.
Of course, some of us (including CPJ) thought the CPJ + a Groh scheme would be an impossible combination for opposing teams to prepare for. Oh well.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Put me in the camp that is more concerned about consistent pressure vs actual sack totals. Obviously sacks are great. They are drive killers. However, just think about the number of times you saw a QB drop back last year and look all day without pressure, picking us apart in the process. I want to, first, get a QB off his spot, AND second, force him to throw off his time. If we do that, without any more sacks, it will be a huge net gain.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Put me in the camp that is more concerned about consistent pressure vs actual sack totals. Obviously sacks are great. They are drive killers. However, just think about the number of times you saw a QB drop back last year and look all day without pressure, picking us apart in the process. I want to, first, get a QB off his spot, AND second,force him to throw off his time. If we do that, without any more sacks, it will be a huge net gain.

I suspect that if we're getting more of that pressure, we'll also be getting more sacks. They're kind of related.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I suspect that if we're getting more of that pressure, we'll also be getting more sacks. They're kind of related.
You are correct sir. I guess I am making the statement that pressure is more important. Obviously, if we get that, then the other numbers, including sacks, will improve.