Out Coached By Assist Coach

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Lol. It's like Groundhog day over and over again..
giphy.gif

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... Helps having higher quality equipment, in this case basketball skills/players, to work with.

I am pretty sure I can be the "coach" of the Atlanta Hawks team and face a chosen high school team "coached" by John Wooden, and my team would still kick their ***.

Bottom line, both benches don't have the same pieces to work with.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow this thread is nuts. The difference in the game was this: Duke hit 11 3's, Tech hit 2. That's at least a 12 point swing based on pure luck.

Our boys played their gutz out but halfway through the 2nd half Duke started getting crazy lucky with shots from beyond the arc dropping while our points in the paint that had been working all game stopped falling. How are you gonna blame a coach for Duke going almost 50% from 3-point land while we go 10%? Yes I know we often struggle in the 2nd half but this game was different

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Wide open my a$$! But even if we disagree there, what do you think BG just ordered his troops to ignore the outside shot? Of course not.

This was a heartbreaking loss because Tech played well enough to upset a better team, but the basketball gods had different ideas. Bashing the coach is utterly ridiculous, desperately grasping for something to blame.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Coach could've made better adjustments. Certain players could've executed better or played smarter.

That said, Allen had multiple wide open 3s to open the 2nd half. They had way better talent on the floor at times (5 McD AAs at times). Their assistant coach was previously a head coach proven to be better than BG (Took VCU to the NCAA before later taking Oklahoma to the Elite 8, IIRC).

In the beginning of the dook game thread, I said, our defense wouldn't hold up, so we needed a flawless offensive game to essentially overwhelm them. We shot 58% in the 1st half and were winning. We finished the game shooting in the low to mid 40s & like 11% from 3, while dook switched to a zone we were capable of penetrating when playing Syracuse. Plenty of blame to go around. Plenty on our coach. It was because he repeatedly proves himself in over his head in ACC play. Not because we got beat by an Assistant Coach.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Coach could've made better adjustments. Certain players could've executed better or played smarter.

That said, Allen had multiple wide open 3s to open the 2nd half. They had way better talent on the floor at times (5 McD AAs at times). Their assistant coach was previously a head coach proven to be better than BG (Took VCU to the NCAA before later taking Oklahoma to the Elite 8, IIRC).

In the beginning of the dook game thread, I said, our defense wouldn't hold up, so we needed a flawless offensive game to essentially overwhelm them. We shot 58% in the 1st half and were winning. We finished the game shooting in the low to mid 40s & like 11% from 3, while dook switched to a zone we were capable of penetrating when playing Syracuse. Plenty of blame to go around. Plenty on our coach. It was because he repeatedly proves himself in over his head in ACC play. Not because we got beat by an Assistant Coach.
I would trade for Capel in a NY minute.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let me also add that this was not a heartbreaking loss. A heartbreaking loss isn't one where you get DOMINATED in the 2nd half, whether it was on players, coaches or both. A heartbreaking loss was probably VT or UNC or Cuse, where we absolutely hung with them the entire game only to just miss at the end.

This was an annoying loss because it was probably our best shot at beating them in years and we didn't come through. The only redeeming factor in how nervous I am about Jayson Tatum putting in WORK on us next season is that Josh Okogie might actually be capable of defending him 1v1.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Wide open my a$$! But even if we disagree there, what do you think BG just ordered his troops to ignore the outside shot? Of course not.

This was a heartbreaking loss because Tech played well enough to upset a better team, but the basketball gods had different ideas. Bashing the coach is utterly ridiculous, desperately grasping for something to blame.

When all the troops were the best recruited and signed by BG for this year and when this problem has been recurring during his tenure, your argument loses its logic.