Out Coached By Assist Coach

conyersmike

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought BG concentrated on defense. Ours was pathetic in the second half. Coach needs to go. Yep still a fan.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Lammers - who I like a lot - Should not be guarding Ingram and if he is - he should get some help.
2. Duke did what they do - find one-on one matchups and take advantage of them. We, on the other hand, start rushing and shooting bad shots instead of "doing what we do" which is feed it inside.
3. Call 3 time outs in 3 minutes to stop a run if that is what it takes. Gregory just let's it get worse.
4. Some of the lineups out there had no scorer -

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
3. Call 3 time outs in 3 minutes to stop a run if that is what it takes. Gregory just let's it get worse. ........

Agree 100%.

He learned that from Roof/CPJ in their failing to call D time outs in the Fluke football game (among others) when the Fluke O got into a rhythm. Need to save those time outs to go to half or the end when the game may be out of reach. {sarcasm}

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I said in chat it was stupid to play Lammers on Ingram. The commentators said Gregory was dead set on playing two bigs even though Lammers or Chuck would have to match up with Ingram. Any advantage gained on O (not much as Lammers is 90% defense) doesn't offset the liability on D in my eyes.

Hung tough though thanks to Nick and Adam.

We still play foolishly low IQ basketball. I would sit Jax every time he shoots before using his dribble but they just keep letting him fling up terrible 3s at terrible times.

Just more of the same. I fell asleep at about 57-51 (or 52) it was close but you knew the result when Ingram started getting to the line when he couldn't get his shot to fall. Smart move getting BL his 3rd and 4th foul in about 30 seconds. Takes our best defender off the floor. Brilliant strategy Brian.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
We've been out coached in every ACC game we have played this year except for Virginia.

Even Gottfried at NC State outcoached Gregory. That game was too close for comfort in the final minutes until somehow we managed to pull away.

The fact that we have had an opportunity to win a significant number of our ACC games this season and last season. Especially when leading in the final minutes, but have been unable to close. Speaks volumes against our coaching staff and coaching philosophy. It it time for a change. I know the buyout situation is ****ty, but it is time for a change.

It really is frustrating when we play great basketball for 20-30 minutes lay down for 10-15 minutes and then play hard at the end but come up short. The lull in the middle is too much we allow other teams to come back and Gregory knows that but has done nothing to fix it. I have not seen us play a single ACC game for a full 40 minutes.

Time for a change.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Who's surprised? It was kinda comical seeing Duke make the 'attack whoever's on Ingram' adjustment and us to simply watch the game fade away. I'm sure Duke's coaches were like, "Wait, he's not going to take Lammers out? Run it again!"

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Who's surprised? It was kinda comical seeing Duke make the 'attack whoever's on Ingram' adjustment and us to simply watch the game fade away. I'm sure Duke's coaches were like, "Wait, he's not going to take Lammers out? Run it again!"

Because watching them run a clear out and Ingram taking Ben to the hole to get his 3rd foul wasn't enough, we had to see it again 20 seconds later when Ben rcvd his 4th before that light came on.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Because watching them run a clear out and Ingram taking Ben to the hole to get his 3rd foul wasn't enough, we had to see it again 20 seconds later when Ben rcvd his 4th before that light came on.

Sad but true. Reminds me of a scene on the Simpsons years ago where IIRC Homer was trying to hammer a nail or something and he kept hitting his thumb (I'm totally misremembering the circumstances but you get the gist). Anyway, he hits his thumb the first time, "D'oh!", the 2nd time, "D'oh!", 3rd time, "D'oh!", the 4th time he goes, "This time ... D'oh!"

Somebody take the hammer away from our Homer.

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
Has anyone ever listened to Gregory's radio show? It's tough to follow his answers. He's all over the place and scattered. Contrast that to CPJ's radio show. It's clear he's an intelligent football mind. I love listening to his detailed and clear thoughts on football.

For the life of me, I can't understand how this "nice guy" rose to where he is today. It's baffling.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't always listen to the radio show, but typically, his pre & post game press conferences indicate he's pretty knowledgeable about the game and understanding potential game plans & assessments of what went right or wrong. The biggest issue is his ability to flex that game plan & win, so he's talking more about what went right than what went wrong.

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the top responsibilities of a coach is to adapt during the game and during the season. No plan ever goes as constructed. I don't think I've ever been in a meeting and it's gone completely to plan. If you can tell me what went right and wrong post game, can't you explain that at halftime and make the proper adjustments?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BG, apparently, cannot explain that at half time. I think all of the other teams are playing a trick on us. We do well 1st half. They make adjustments, while we think we're just gonna do what we're doing. Then... the trap is sprung!

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
BG, apparently, cannot explain that at half time. I think all of the other teams are playing a trick on us. We do well 1st half. They make adjustments, while we think we're just gonna do what we're doing. Then... the trap is sprung!

Lol. It's like Groundhog day over and over again..