Our problem is the most part is we need ball players!!!

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
This isn't flooding with CPJ talk, I'm sick of it too.
But I'm sick of fans blaming our team kids. Some or them called out the lack of fans at the stadium today, and how it was hard as a senior to see bobby Dodd full of read.
There is no excuse for blaming 18-20 year olds for coaches that aren't peeping them well

I agree CPJ played dirty, but you can't deny that he still coached up well. We are missing that now

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
We are to small and two slow at the most important positions. We are to small on the o line. We have to small and slow on the d line. We are to small and slow at linebacker position and we are very very very slow in the defensive backfield. I don’t care who the coach is until this improves it never going to change. We need a top notch strength coaches. When you look at the top teams compare to us we look like middle school to college in their size.
I happen to agree that we are still at a talent deficit. But one can't ignore the fact that our coordinators struggle frequently to signal in plays. Why? I don't know but I've seen it cause us to call timeouts numerous times. We all have. We all know this to be true. It causes our guys on defense to not be ready to play when the other team snaps the ball. And I'm not talking only about when other teams are in tempo or hurry up. I can't count the number of times I've watched our defenders standing there waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting while the other team huddles up, gets their play, jogs over to the line of scrimmage, while our guys are still looking at the sideline waiting, and finally the play is called, our guys turn to each other to confirm their responsibilities and the ball is snapped while our guys are still interpreting the call based on the player groups and formations of the other team. That has ZERO to do with talent. You can't win with any scheme when you do that.

flygtfly

Georgia Tech Fan
The problem is clearly coaching. And part of that is holding players accountable. That is not being done and results in OLinemen who take no pride in their job. Today we saw an Olineman who could have had his QB killed. I’ve watched UGA play most of their games and if they had a player blow an assignment like that he would have had hell to pay from his teammates and coaches. It’s what we saw in our team in 2014. You saw Laskey, Days, Shaq Mason holding guys accountable. And we know Johnson would have been suspended for raging on that player. Collins has created a soft, no account team. Receivers run poor routes - nothing, just jog off the field. OLine can’t block - no problem, just jog off the field. Our DB’s get shown up by a freshman TE all game and no one lays a glove on him - no problem just jog off. I agree we need more talent, but come on, we have similar talent to 9 of 12 teams we play and we definitely have enough talent not to finish out 100-0.
Collins is about loving his players even when they screw up. CPJ got into their arses when needed. It made his players mentally tough. You fumbled, your a.. was coming off the field. CGC created a mentally soft team and the record shows it.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We have had 2 classes of Ol and DL recruits, 2020 and 2021. The 2020 class has a very small advantage in time with S&C over the 2021 class. This year, we had guys on the field putting their one year of strength and conditioning up against guys with 1 to 6 years of training. That is why we look small, slow and lacking strength. Time and hard work are the only cures.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
We have had 2 classes of Ol and DL recruits, 2020 and 2021. The 2020 class has a very small advantage in time with S&C over the 2021 class. This year, we had guys on the field putting their one year of strength and conditioning up against guys with 1 to 6 years of training. That is why we look small, slow and lacking strength. Time and hard work are the only cures.
This is correct - the O and D lineman we've recruited the past two years need time to physically mature. Top tier programs don't have Freshman and Sophomore lineman playing as many plays as we've had to play this season. The program just doesn't have the depth of maturity, size and talent on the O and D lines required to be more competitive yet. That said, given our Oline transfers, it's hard to explain why our starting Oline didn't at perform better at the beginning of the season (before we started losing them to injuries). The directional Illinois team dominated our healthy, starting Oline - no excuses for that to happen...

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I did not watch the game yesterday but did see a few segment replays and it was to me blatantly obvious we were really slow, really small, not physical in a lot of places we needed to be physical, I don't know about the coaching and will not know until we get players. We have recruiters, IMO we better leave them alone and let them recruit and then figure out if they can coach. It is the only thing that makes any sense to me, but again that is just me, I'm sure there are many, maybe a lot making their thoughts out of emotions - that has always led to disaster for me personally. This was from the beginning a monumental job ahead of of this coaching staff, it was never going to be pretty, this is me personally, but glad I have a life and my worth or being is not wrapped up in CFB or it's players, that's just me, not saying it should be anyone else.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I happen to agree that we are still at a talent deficit. But one can't ignore the fact that our coordinators struggle frequently to signal in plays. Why? I don't know but I've seen it cause us to call timeouts numerous times. We all have. We all know this to be true. It causes our guys on defense to not be ready to play when the other team snaps the ball. And I'm not talking only about when other teams are in tempo or hurry up. I can't count the number of times I've watched our defenders standing there waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting while the other team huddles up, gets their play, jogs over to the line of scrimmage, while our guys are still looking at the sideline waiting, and finally the play is called, our guys turn to each other to confirm their responsibilities and the ball is snapped while our guys are still interpreting the call based on the player groups and formations of the other team. That has ZERO to do with talent. You can't win with any scheme when you do that.
Not to disagree but I watched the same slow signally by OK St last night and yet in the last instant they got lined up and ready. btw--Their DEF was nasty. I don't think the guys are coached well during the week to be ready. Poor prep leads to poor results.Of course being too slow doesn't help.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins is about loving his players even when they screw up. CPJ got into their arses when needed. It made his players mentally tough. You fumbled, your a.. was coming off the field. CGC created a mentally soft team and the record shows it.
This is my single biggest criticism of CGC and society as a whole. He (and society) is raising a bunch of soft *** kids that can't take any criticism. You can still love them and be tough on them when it is needed.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Not sure why G_ _ _ _ C _ _ _ _ _ _ scheduled an in-home visit with a recruit the day after playing a game where you were forecasted to get a waxing by your state rival?

FrytownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
We are to small and two slow at the most important positions. We are to small on the o line. We have to small and slow on the d line. We are to small and slow at linebacker position and we are very very very slow in the defensive backfield. I don’t care who the coach is until this improves it never going to change. We need a top notch strength coaches. When you look at the top teams compare to us we look like middle school to college in their size.
Nothing to do with size or speed, this is all on the coaching staff.... We play confused and not knowing your assignments will make you look like your playing with ankle weights on... Should have worked through that by end of year one and yet here we are after year three with the same issues....There's only one excuse for this mess and its lack of coaching, period. These guys deserve better !

D715

Georgia Tech Fan
To, too, and two funny

FrytownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with this and I'll add that all the talk about this historical rebuild seems to have instilled a built in excuse for losing for the players and it doesn't look like they've shook that mentality.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Comparing us to this year's Georgia team is maybe not a great idea. But I couldn't help but notice their speed advantage, especially on defense. When we had a play which might have gained a few yards someone would show up in a flash to make sure we didn't get much. On our side, our defensive backs were slower than pretty much all of their backs and receivers.

flygtfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Comparing us to this year's Georgia team is maybe not a great idea. But I couldn't help but notice their speed advantage, especially on defense. When we had a play which might have gained a few yards someone would show up in a flash to make sure we didn't get much. On our side, our defensive backs were slower than pretty much all of their backs and receivers.
Their TE out ran our secondary... Collins has had 3 years to get his system installed and to get his players. That's plenty enough time to at least be competitive.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
This isn't flooding with CPJ talk, I'm sick of it too.
But I'm sick of fans blaming our team kids. Some or them called out the lack of fans at the stadium today, and how it was hard as a senior to see bobby Dodd full of read.
There is no excuse for blaming 18-20 year olds for coaches that aren't peeping them well

I agree CPJ played dirty, but you can't deny that he still coached up well. We are missing that now
How did he play dirty?

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
You would think CGC coming from the O'Leary coaching tree would be tough on these kids. I heard O'Leary was tough on the players and had them wanting to quit.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

you don't know any of that.