Our commitment must begin to match our expectations

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
You *do* realize they are literally twice our size, right? Almost twice our undergraduate enrollment, and more than twice the size of the alumni base living in their state....so is it any great surprise that they should have twice as big a stadium (oh, wait...they don't) and twice our average attendance (oh wait, ...again, they don't)

my main point is they show up and support their team not the stadium size and they do it good team or bad

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Again its just the nature of GT, esspecially with noon games. More students would rather study, sleep in or sit and play on their xbox than go to a football game. When I was at Clemson for our game, it was night and day, got a tour of campus including the library. Didn't see hardly anyone studying, its like the entire campus was out tailgating. Thats just not GT

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I get that. My main point is we would look much the same if our stadium only held about 35,000 fans capacity. Impressed now?

What does that even mean? As an argument it quite weak. Tech fans by and large are not die hard fans, if things are good show up, if not sell your tickets. I pulled into the Klaus deck today and saw as many mutt flags as I did Tech. I've been a fan for 50 plus years and a season ticket holder as a sidewalk fan for 25 plus. Never have I seen a fan base as lazy as Tech's. SC has never won a conference championship, National Championship and has played in FAR fewer bowl games than Tech and yet their fan base is unwavering. Is it too much to ask to see at least an effort from Tech fans to be as supportive?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What does that even mean? As an argument it quite weak. Tech fans by and large are not die hard fans, if things are good show up, if not sell your tickets. I pulled into the Klaus deck today and saw as many mutt flags as I did Tech. I've been a fan for 50 plus years and a season ticket holder as a sidewalk fan for 25 plus. Never have I seen a fan base as lazy as Tech's. SC has never won a conference championship, National Championship and has played in FAR fewer bowl games than Tech and yet their fan base is unwavering. Is it too much to ask to see at least an effort from Tech fans to be as supportive?
I'll try this again then....USCe has almost twice as many undergrad students as GT and more than twice as many alumni living in state. Ergo, if their support levels and ours were equal, they would have twice as many fans as we do at football game,s twice a much in contribution dollars etc etc. Soon, if their football stadium holds 80,000 fans...and their support is the same as ours, they should fill it since we have no trouble filling a 40,000 seat stadium....are you getting this yet? A school with 5,000 students will NEVER have as much fan support as a school with 50,000 students (to exaggerate my point). Are you beginning to see where I am going with this? SIZE MATTERS!

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it’s too much to ask. Far easier to sit on a couch and ***** about the team losing a game than it is to actually show up and support them financially and emotionally. Our fan base is lazy and entitled.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the lack of consistency part. Its mind boggling how we do great one year and absolutely atrocious the very next.

A few bounces another way this year we aren't having this conversation. We could feasibly with a few different bits of luck have only lost to duke clemson and georgia. We don't score as quickly against UVA on the play action we coudl have eat the rest of the clock then scored. OR ricky is able to catch that last bomb marshall threw etc. Tenn we pitch the ball or jj holds onto it, miami, the ball falls a different way. That's 3 more wins and we are talking about beign 8-3 going to a ball for a shot at back to back 9 win seasons.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
A few bounces another way this year we aren't having this conversation. We could feasibly with a few different bits of luck have only lost to duke clemson and georgia. We don't score as quickly against UVA on the play action we coudl have eat the rest of the clock then scored. OR ricky is able to catch that last bomb marshall threw etc. Tenn we pitch the ball or jj holds onto it, miami, the ball falls a different way. That's 3 more wins and we are talking about beign 8-3 going to a ball for a shot at back to back 9 win seasons.

Most of the time I would agree, but the problem with that argument is that the TN and UVA games shouldn’t have been that close to begin with. Tennessee, in particular.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
See it’s always if if if. Well if my aunt had a ***** she would be my uncle. Enough with the what if’s.

I agree that GT isn't better than what GT's record shows. Others should agree that GT isn't worse than what GT's record shows. GT was not competitive in the second half of the Duke game of the UGA game. GT was barely competitive in the Clemson game. Other than those two halves and one game, GT was very competitive in every game this year. A play or two away from winning most of the losses, and a play or two away from losing the VT game. The what ifs do nothing to say that GT is better than 5-6, but they do a lot to say that GT isn't in the gutter.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Never did I say we were in the gutter. But when you want investment in a program mediocre returns don’t cut it.

GTAA has gotten less than mediocre investments from the fans. The returns have been far above the "investment" that the fans have put into it. If you want better results, "invest" more.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’m a sidewalk fan and donate sounds to me like you need to contact your “1 in 6 millionaire” alumni and correct that problem.

A fan is a fan. If fans want results, then fans need to do what other fan bases do. I would be willing to bet that many if not most of the donors to the mutts are sidewalk fans. Fans, alum or not, cannot expect outstanding results with bottom of the ACC and bottom of Power 5 resources. Fans, alum or not, need to either raise their commitment to GTAA or lower their expectations.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Ok so I guess your saying accept the ocassional 8- 10 win season but settle more more for the 3-5 wins ok. Whatever dude

I'm saying that if the fan base wants 8-15 win seasons, then the fan base must give the program the same level of resources that Clemson/Alabama/Auburn/UGA have. To demand a Laborghini but only pay for a Nissan is wacky. That is where the expectation of GT football is. That is also where funding for GT football is. It is not up to the school, the state, or the students to pay for football. It is up to the fans. Keep demanding results while not providing resources to achieve those results is settling for the 5 win seasons. GT fans appear to be more than happy to only pay for 5 win seasons.