Our B-ball Program

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Partner can recruit, but not sure we'd be better off from a coaching perspective.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pastner's most redeeming quality is he was Cal's top assistant. He's a name and not much else.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Look at CBGs record at Dayton.

Watch Memphis play, they are solely reliant on athleticism. I don't think that will play in big boy basketball. No deep tourney runs. Never made it past the round of 32. Granted, he does get there every year.

He would be an upgrade but he would also cost, if youre going to spend the money, chase Marshall.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Look at his record at Memphis.

I'm not fascinated with records considering he recruits at a higher level than any of the teams he's playing against. Look at how they play. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in his actual coaching ability.

Dare I say he'd be Hewitt-esque (but isn't as good a coach as Hew was).

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I am not on the "in" so I can't say who a good HC would be. But I can tell you what I would like in a HC. Someone that obviously can recruit well.
But more so I want a HC with an intimidating presence. Someone with that "I am the General and you are my troops" persona. Somewhere between Bobby Knight and Bobby Cremins.

Also I am not saying these are the solution, but getting Craig Neal and Mark Price back into our basketball program in some form or fashion only seems as though it could help.

Gregory is a great man. A good Christian man. But imo he is not getting it done and doesn't "appear" to be the one to take our program back to prominence.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Look at CBGs record at Dayton.

Watch Memphis play, they are solely reliant on athleticism. I don't think that will play in big boy basketball. No deep tourney runs. Never made it past the round of 32. Granted, he does get there every year.

He would be an upgrade but he would also cost, if youre going to spend the money, chase Marshall.
I love the Marshall idea.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Marshall would be awesome and I hope Bobinski gives it a go, but it will be hard

http://newsok.com/wichita-states-gregg-marshall-mid-majors-keeping-great-coaches/article/3966811

"A power-conference university could give Marshall a hefty raise. But could it give him the kind of relevancy that he talked about at Wichita State? In other words, Marshall might go to Kentucky, but he’s not going to LSU. Marshall might go to Michigan State, but he’s not going to Iowa. Marshall might go to Kansas, but he’s not going to Iowa State."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/99081/what-would-it-take-gregg-marshall

"Does that mean Marshall will retire at Wichita State? Maybe not. It took longer than it might have for others, but he did eventually leave Winthrop. Marshall is, after all, a Division I basketball coach, which means he's an incredibly competitive human being in constant search for more substantial challenges. It would take far more than Texas A&M to lure him away. It would take a program with both a long-established foundation for success and a willingness to give Marshall sole ownership of the operative keys. Oh, and a ton of cash. That too."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Marshall would be awesome and I hope Bobinski gives it a go, but it will be hard

http://newsok.com/wichita-states-gregg-marshall-mid-majors-keeping-great-coaches/article/3966811

"A power-conference university could give Marshall a hefty raise. But could it give him the kind of relevancy that he talked about at Wichita State? In other words, Marshall might go to Kentucky, but he’s not going to LSU. Marshall might go to Michigan State, but he’s not going to Iowa. Marshall might go to Kansas, but he’s not going to Iowa State."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/99081/what-would-it-take-gregg-marshall

"Does that mean Marshall will retire at Wichita State? Maybe not. It took longer than it might have for others, but he did eventually leave Winthrop. Marshall is, after all, a Division I basketball coach, which means he's an incredibly competitive human being in constant search for more substantial challenges. It would take far more than Texas A&M to lure him away. It would take a program with both a long-established foundation for success and a willingness to give Marshall sole ownership of the operative keys. Oh, and a ton of cash. That too."
make-it-so-o.gif

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Firing Paul Hewitt was a bad idea. I could have withstood him for 3 more years rather than hiring a Cheap Coach that know the X's and O' but can't bring in talent.
We had to get out of the co tract because it auto renewed! Waiting three years would've put us in exactly the same situation, o my three years later.

slugboy

Staff member
We had to get out of the co tract because it auto renewed! Waiting three years would've put us in exactly the same situation, o my three years later.
I wouldn't respond to Hewitt posts. He's gone, needed to go, talking about it sends posts off topic, and who would bring him back--so why bother discussing?

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
T
I will have to say that before tonight, Nevada and Alcorn State were making a run at our 3 point percentage. We are now back firmly in last shooting under 20%.

Think about how bad that is. We are dead last out of 351 programs.
That's unbelievable