Other NCAA Regionals

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
Makeup of the Supers:
10 x #1s
0 x #2s
5 x #3s
1 x #4
It seems like Oklahoma St is in a rut similar to where we were at in the 2008-2013 timeframe. It seems like they have been a regional host several times the last few years and manage to find a way to lose. I haven't done the formal check on this, but that is sure how it seems.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
So, here are the statistics since 2006.

We have been to 12 Regionals and are 0-12. We are the only team with that many CWS appearances without a Regional win. One other team has had 12 Regional losses (Oral Roberts), but they won one Regional and are 1-12. Three teams have 11 Regional losses, Oklahoma State (4-11), Coastal Carolina (3-11), and Dallas Baptist (2-11). Four teams have ten Regional losses, Da U (4-10), Clemson (4-10), Southern Miss (3-10), and Army (0-10). That means the team with the closest Regional winless streak to us is Army. Army! The next two after Army are Bethune Cookman and UNC Wilmington, both at 0-9 in Regionals. This is the company we keep; Army, Bethune Cookman and UNC Wilmington. Yeah!

We have hosted four Regionals since 2006 and are 0-4. Regional hosts win 67% of the time. No team that has hosted a Regional at least three times is winless. Well, no one but us. The next closest team without a Regional win as a host is Houston, who are 0-2 as a Regional host. Of course, they also won a Regional as a visitor, but that is another story.

Two of those years, we were national ranked. Nationally ranked Regional hosts win 75% of the time. Only one program that has been nationally ranked at least two times has never won a Regional. Yep, us.

The reality is if we were just an average tournament team we would have at least five Super Regional and at least two CWS appearances. We have zip, zero, zilch, nada nothing, a goose egg.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think we all agreed that they are good enough to make a run, a la Ole Miss in 2022. In fact I wrote exactly that. The issue is that they showed over a 3 month span of time that they didn't deserve being given the chance. I will stand by that assessment even if they do in fact win the championship.
100%

If the only thing we were trying to do was get the 64 teams with a chance of winning, we wouldn't have automatic qualifiers. At some point the regular season needs to matter. Florida is fine, but they did not have an NCAA tournament worth season.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Current teams in the 2024 CWS:

Florida State
Virginia

ACC 2- Others 0

Clearly other conferences will make their mark, but a strong start for the ACC