Other football fans are clueless

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
well, look tech is what it is....we have alot of school hurdles that hold us back. Its just fact. CPJ has done well, but there are still areas we can improve in for sure; but overall he has done things here that many other coaches couldn't, probably in a more restrictive academic environment too.

But lets face it. Clemson is no longer even or comparable with tech. Dabo has them now at another level we don't sniff. Its just fact. They are looking more like a FSU, LSU, UGA, UF, VT in its hayday team than what we used to know clemson to be even 5 years ago. Look at the string of 10+ win seasons. Their recruiting. National title game they probably should have won.

Clemson is going to dominate tech in the near term IMO. They are a cut above us right now as a program. They took the next step we would love to take but simply are not geared to....Does that mean we can't beat them here and there...no...just like we beat uga here and there. But as a total program, they are a step or two above us.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
You sure can not say that about any other team and their O winning a game if they get hot.

Are you being sarcastic? Our offense clearly has quirky strategic benefits:
  1. High rated zone conversion rate. In the red zone the field is compressed limiting passing options. We are usually able to fire off the line/knock 'em back/punch it in b/c that's what we do all the time. We are really good at it and the plays hit faster than any other offense, period.
  2. Crazy time-of-possession tires out the other team's defense while resting our defense. It also frustrates the other team's offense, which gets cold being on the sidelines.
  3. It slows down the pace of the game by limiting possessions. Much like basketball, if the talent gap is large a lot teams want a high scoring back-and-forth game so their talent can emerge and create separation in the score. Our offense is analagous to the the Princeton offense, and is similarly stylized. Slow the game down, keep the margin compressed, hang around, then steal the win.
Other offenses have their unique perks. Clemson's offense runs a lot of plays and tires out the other team's defense by # of plays. And they are good in the 2-minute drill because they are doing it all the time. However our offense--when working--is the perfect antidote for Clemson's (rests our D, keeps the game close, converts in the red zone, frustrates/cools down their offense etc).

Right now the team's biggest issues are pass rush, DL depth (better but still a weak spot), and OL depth and lack of consistent play. Last year you could add to that a whole bunch of young and inexperienced skill players. If 1 or 2 of the big fast tall WRs we've been recruiting can make a move we'll have good skill guys with some experience around Justin this year. Line remains the question.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
well, look tech is what it is....we have alot of school hurdles that hold us back. Its just fact. CPJ has done well, but there are still areas we can improve in for sure; but overall he has done things here that many other coaches couldn't, probably in a more restrictive academic environment too.

But lets face it. Clemson is no longer even or comparable with tech. Dabo has them now at another level we don't sniff. Its just fact. They are looking more like a FSU, LSU, UGA, UF, VT in its hayday team than what we used to know clemson to be even 5 years ago. Look at the string of 10+ win seasons. Their recruiting. National title game they probably should have won.

Clemson is going to dominate tech in the near term IMO. They are a cut above us right now as a program. They took the next step we would love to take but simply are not geared to....Does that mean we can't beat them here and there...no...just like we beat uga here and there. But as a total program, they are a step or two above us.

Hate to admit it but i DO agree with you

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

We were right there 2 years ago. With the recruiting differences, it might not happen as often for us, but we can be there. Heck, in my mind, all it would take for GT with Johnson is a legitimately good DC, and we shoot up to the top level. That's really all Dabo has done. And, he didn't do it on his first 2 tries. He kept his salary relatively low and kept hiring OC's and DC's at a premium until he found bonafides in Venables and Morris (now Morris' disciples). It's not even the recruiting, they've always been great in that arena. It's the coordinators. That's another advantage with Johnson, he comes with a built-in top-notch OC for no extra big salary than the HC already gets. Get Johnson a top-notch DC and we'd be effin' ridiculous.

Disclaimer: I like Roof, I'm not sold on him as GT's best answer. I haven't given up on him and hope he can become great here. I'm also a Tenuta apologist (if Johnson had found a way to keep him, we wouldn't have seen 4 different DC's over the last 8 years, and would've kept a top 25 defense to go along with our offense - just imagine that for a minute).

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Don't forget that two years ago, their QB went out early with an injury and the back up threw 3 or 4 interceptions.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We were right there 2 years ago. With the recruiting differences, it might not happen as often for us, but we can be there. Heck, in my mind, all it would take for GT with Johnson is a legitimately good DC, and we shoot up to the top level. That's really all Dabo has done. And, he didn't do it on his first 2 tries. He kept his salary relatively low and kept hiring OC's and DC's at a premium until he found bonafides in Venables and Morris (now Morris' disciples). It's not even the recruiting, they've always been great in that arena. It's the coordinators. That's another advantage with Johnson, he comes with a built-in top-notch OC for no extra big salary than the HC already gets. Get Johnson a top-notch DC and we'd be effin' ridiculous.

Disclaimer: I like Roof, I'm not sold on him as GT's best answer. I haven't given up on him and hope he can become great here. I'm also a Tenuta apologist (if Johnson had found a way to keep him, we wouldn't have seen 4 different DC's over the last 8 years, and would've kept a top 25 defense to go along with our offense - just imagine that for a minute).

Get out of my head! Stop stealing my thoughts! :punch::meh:

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck

They might. Going back to the 80's we have swapped streaks. They will win three or four in a row and then we return the favor. I cannot remember many times, even in 1990, when they didn't have the more talented team. We have ended so many Clemson dreams, ended so many undefeated seasons for them, beaten them at the wire so often that I can't believe it is going to change permanently. Odds are they will come to Atlanta tight and we will be loose, sorta like FSU last year. We have a history of popping them in the mouth early in Atlanta and then holding them off at the end. I wouldn't be surprised to see that again if we are healthy.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
They might. Going back to the 80's we have swapped streaks. They will win three or four in a row and then we return the favor. I cannot remember many times, even in 1990, when they didn't have the more talented team. We have ended so many Clemson dreams, ended so many undefeated seasons for them, beaten them at the wire so often that I can't believe it is going to change permanently. Odds are they will come to Atlanta tight and we will be loose, sorta like FSU last year. We have a history of popping them in the mouth early in Atlanta and then holding them off at the end. I wouldn't be surprised to see that again if we are healthy.
Fun zayn moyl, in Gots oyer.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
IMO
Clemson will not rehire kevin steel as dc s

To SPLIT FUTURE SERIES we will have to improve our coaching up of our recruits, have good game plans which are executed well.
In 14 the defense against them was a step ahead of Clemson like the 15 ND was against us.
I think a 50/50 split is doable as our defensive recruiting has improved. No tall dt and no skinny defensive ends and some safeties with size.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Pretty much spot on. Dabo has done a great job of recruiting and putting his stamp on the Clemson program. They have achieved "factory status" which is what they have always wanted for years. We are not a factory, never will be a factory, do not aspire to be a factory, which makes ruining someone's dream season that much sweeter. To wit: Clemson 2011 whacked in a raucous BDS, FSU just last year and many others down through the years including Miami, Virginia Tech, Georgia and Auburn.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I was in a car dealership in Anderson yesterday talking with a Clemson Accounting Professor. He told me a story about three football players that were in his class. He said after the first day, they approached him and told him that they thought someone w the athletic dept made a mistake. He never saw them again. ;)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pretty much spot on. Dabo has done a great job of recruiting and putting his stamp on the Clemson program. They have achieved "factory status" which is what they have always wanted for years. We are not a factory, never will be a factory, do not aspire to be a factory, which makes ruining someone's dream season that much sweeter. To wit: Clemson 2011 whacked in a raucous BDS, FSU just last year and many others down through the years including Miami, Virginia Tech, Georgia and Auburn.

I have always been extremely intrigued by the difference in our records against Clemson and Ga. over the years. In my opinion, these two programs have always looked the same in terms of athletes on the field. Both have approx. the same number of players in the league (45 for Clemson, 50 for Uga. Disclaimer: the data was found on the internet so take it for what it is worth.)

What do you all think accounts for the difference? Voodoo and curses? Psychological? Superior coaching at Uga vs. Clemson historically? Has Clemson indeed taken a leap in its coaching (and therefore program) such that our series record with them will begin to resemble what it has been against Ga. over the last 40 years or so? I hope not as the Clemson series and rivalry has easily been the most fun and entertaining over the years. I have had Clemson fans say the same as well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have always been extremely intrigued by the difference in our records against Clemson and Ga. over the years. In my opinion, these two programs have always looked the same in terms of athletes on the field. Both have approx. the same number of players in the league (45 for Clemson, 50 for Uga. Disclaimer: the data was found on the internet so take it for what it is worth.)

What do you all think accounts for the difference? Voodoo and curses? Psychological? Superior coaching at Uga vs. Clemson historically? Has Clemson indeed taken a leap in its coaching (and therefore program) such that our series record with them will begin to resemble what it has been against Ga. over the last 40 years or so? I hope not as the Clemson series and rivalry has easily been the most fun and entertaining over the years. I have had Clemson fans say the same as well.

I don't think players in the league is the best measure of overall talent. If you look at recruiting rankings, georgie has had much more talent longer, iiuc.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't think players in the league is the best measure of overall talent. If you look at recruiting rankings, georgie has had much more talent longer, iiuc.

maybe so. one of my theories is that Clemson's style over the years has been more "finesse" and thus provides a better matchup with us. Ga. has had more of a 'power" approach (or the ability to do so) that is not a god matchup with us due to depth and lack of DT's over the years.I remember in 2009 when we were in the top 10, at home, and Ga. was playing with an intramural type QB. They wore us out by just handing it off to their tailback's and pounding it down our throats.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You are giving Clemson too high a status. We are competitive with them and have an excellent chance to beat them this year. We just had a freak year last year and lost our mojo. Football is 90% attitude and 10% ability. Most games are decided by a turnover, bad call, penalty or bonehead coach/player decision. Once you start losing you start looking over your shoulder to see what is going to happen to cause you to lose this one. Winning works the same way. You get on a roll and then you start looking for something good to happen. Attitude, attitude, attitude. It is the essence of life and the essence of college football.

I would not be surprised if we have a year similar to 2014 or better, There is no one on our schedule we can not compete with and beat if we play with attitude (the right attitude).

Go Jackets!