Other football fans are clueless

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was recently in Daytona on vacation and met a Clemson fan. Asked him how he thought they would do this year and he replied about what I expected from a fan that's team played in the title game. When I told him I was a Tech fan he immediately got to ranting how Tech needs to fire Johnson that no recruit wants to play in that archaic offense. Said Tech needs to be good again that no highly ranked recruit would want to play that style of football. I told him Tech's number one issue with recruits was academics and the system we run makes us competitive. Asked him how well was we doing with Chan as our coach. I agree that most players aren't interested in our style of offense. Point is that most fans of other teams have no idea of the hurdles Tech faces putting a competitive team on the field.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, he may not have even gone to Clemson.

Maybe it was this guy:
poor-poor-clemson-fan-o.gif

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pro travel tip: avoid places like Daytona, PCB, Orlando, Gatlinburg et al when going on vacation. Discussions of this nature with Climpsun or Dwag fans can be easily avoided. If the best restaurant in town is a Golden Corral or Waffle House, it is NOT a desired vacation destination.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Daytona has some good seafood. Hulls, Boondocks, Our deck just to name a few... I went deep sea fishing on the boat that catches food for Hulls. The Grouper was Devine!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pro travel tip: avoid places like Daytona, PCB, Orlando, Gatlinburg et al when going on vacation. Discussions of this nature with Climpsun or Dwag fans can be easily avoided. If the best restaurant in town is a Golden Corral or Waffle House, it is NOT a desired vacation destination.
Not meaning to be argumentative but I will take a waffle dark, bacon crisp, hashbrowns scattered & covered over some fru-fru restaurant any day!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here in Pensacola an avid fsu fan who owns Wing King ( greasy spoon) loves the gt option. He is diehard fsu fan who respects what we do. He says that Jimbo said that they have 27 (?) players go to NFL in last 3 years -"with all that gt has played us double tough the last 3 years". When I told that on one play in the miami game we had 9 freshman on the field, he says" crap we will have to play you guys in a couple of years when they are men".
Guy does follow football and over his peewee coaching career has 6 players in NFL.
His burgers and wings are cheap but good and football discussion pretty lively .

If you know football you love gt football.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here in Pensacola an avid fsu fan who owns Wing King ( greasy spoon) loves the gt option. He is diehard fsu fan who respects what we do. He says that Jimbo said that they have 27 (?) players go to NFL in last 3 years -"with all that gt has played us double tough the last 3 years". When I told that on one play in the miami game we had 9 freshman on the field, he says" crap we will have to play you guys in a couple of years when they are men".
Guy does follow football and over his peewee coaching career has 6 players in NFL.
His burgers and wings are cheap but good and football discussion pretty lively .

If you know football you love gt football.

I just rewatched that dohU game. Crazy. After first drive, Jordan came in and did alright but turnovers killed us.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Reminds me of the line: "If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******."

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally, it is more frustrating when I run into causal GT fans who say we need to get rid of GT because the offense is boring and CPJ is a terrible coach. If the offense if boring, that is your opinion. Saying CPJ is a terrible coach is as far from the truth as possible. SMH

I'm with you but don't buy the boring argument at all. Taking 2015 out of the discussion we have always been at the top in plays over 20 yards and average between 28-34 points a game. If that's boring sign me up for boring.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you but don't buy the boring argument at all. Taking 2015 out of the discussion we have always been at the top in plays over 20 yards and average between 28-34 points a game. If that's boring sign me up for boring.
Last year was like a perfect storm for everyone's smack talk about our offense coming true, and they just love it that they were finally "proven right". It's gonna be fun this year when we are right back on track to see everyone fall over themselves trying to make excuses for why they can't stop us. We're going to hear a lot of "but we figured out how to stop it last year...why don't we just do the same thing?"

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This is largely true. Tech's offense is difficult to execute and difficult to defend. Under the current academic restrictions, it is literally the only way we can compete. Unfortunate, but true. If we did what every one else is doing we would be lucky to win 5 games a year. Fans of other teams do not understand the reality of what it is like to recruit at the Institute. If anyone has a better solution than what we are currently doing, I am all ears but frankly, until the recruiting environment changes this is who we are and what we do. Embrace it. Let's play ball.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Last year was like a perfect storm for everyone's smack talk about our offense coming true, and they just love it that they were finally "proven right". It's gonna be fun this year when we are right back on track to see everyone fall over themselves trying to make excuses for why they can't stop us. We're going to hear a lot of "but we figured out how to stop it last year...why don't we just do the same thing?"
I know I can't wait for us to get back to our normal offense this year, people are going to be baffled and fans are going to be going crazy as to why they can't stop us this year like last year. What people don't understand is we lost 6 or 7 games by one possession with two injured BBacks In the spring, 6 AB during the season a QB that was getting beat up a center who was going through a whole lot of stuff, we lost a tackle to an acl injury before the season started a promising WR was injured in the spring and at one point had 9 freshman on the field at once and still we were playing competitively almost every game. Now, all these guys have a year under their belts, guys have healed from injury and we have very good depth. I think we are going to surprise a ton of fans, and that includes GT fans that don't know much. If we mesh well people shouldn't be surprised if those 6 or 7 games we lost turn into wins.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
From my experience, it's the casual football fans of other teams that talk about how boring our offense is. The people who pretty much never watch us anyway. It's an "old style" so it must be boring. Our offense gets lots of appreciation from fans of other teams among the more fervent followers on the sport. There were fans from all sorts of schools recommending our games and asking for highlights on reddit for example especially in 2014 for how exciting they thought our offense was. Basically, the people who say we are just a boring team either don't watch us or don't like anything that isn't a cookie cutter offense these days.

Navy and GT especially seem to be a pretty popular teams among Nebraska fans longing for the old days :cool:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Its amazing how many fans of other teams say the same thing about CPJ and his offense. It really comes down to fear. Every opponents fans knows if we play well on offense it can lead to an L any Saturday

You sure can not say that about any other team and their O winning a game if they get hot.