OT depth

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This should be an exciting year to watch Mills and the other B backs behind Bryan cooper and Braun. Might be close to unstoppable, and if a teams sells out to stop it then we can burn them on the outside.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This should be an exciting year to watch Mills and the other B backs behind Bryan cooper and Braun. Might be close to unstoppable, and if a teams sells out to stop it then we can burn them on the outside.
I say Mills/Jordan, assuming he starts. Having a qb that can run effectively between the tackles does wonders for the inside run game. The D can't key on one guy, if they do, it's an easy read for the qb and he has a nice crease to exploit. When they are forced to put more resources in the middle to contain the two-headed monster, the outside is wide open and we have guys who can do damage out there. Same goes for the passing game. It all starts with dominating the inside run.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I say Mills/Jordan, assuming he starts. Having a qb that can run effectively between the tackles does wonders for the inside run game. The D can't key on one guy, if they do, it's an easy read for the qb and he has a nice crease to exploit. When they are forced to put more resources in the middle to contain the two-headed monster, the outside is wide open and we have guys who can do damage out there. Same goes for the passing game. It all starts with dominating the inside run.

If Jordan/Mills starts and stay healthy along with Oline health we will be in the ACC Championship.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Tackles in our O are lighter and quicker. We put our bulk at G-C-G.

SD is a perfect G in our O, but would really struggle at T.

Worst case is to move Bryan back to T, not a move to make except in emergency. Best case is Marshall and Lee stay healthy and Stickler steps up or a frosh emerges. (Ivenmeyer could be in the OT backup picture). Devine and the Morgans have our Gs backed up. Marshall staying healthy is very key to both our OT and backup C situation.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Even if our OGCs are executing, we still need OTs, ABs, and WR's blocking their butts off to bust lots of long rushes from the inside run game. Otherwise you get 3 yards and a cloud of dust which can be stymied with a single negative gainer. I don't expect this will be a problem but skill position blocking is my biggest concern outside of injuries.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Worst case is to move Bryan back to T, not a move to make except in emergency. Best case is Marshall and Lee stay healthy and Stickler steps up or a frosh emerges. (Ivenmeyer could be in the OT backup picture). Devine and the Morgans have our Gs backed up. Marshall staying healthy is very key to both our OT and backup C situation.
It could also be the case that Lee will get replaced. I keep hearing from those who pay attention to this kind of thing that he had a "bad spring". I doubt it was that bad, but you never can tell. Will having experience at OT and Shamire being a former starter gives us a lot of flexibility so long as only one OT has to be replaced or gets demoted. If we loose both Marshall and Lee through some kind of tsunami then we are in potential trouble.

I would say that "couldn't happen" then I remember pre-season in 2015. It can. Hope it doesn't.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Our O and D positions are well covered from a depth standpoint except for OT. We were in great shape before Klock and Fromayan departed. ( Center could become an issue without Marshall available as a backup ).

Marshall is certainly a capable starter at OT but he has missed some playing time with dings during his career. Lee is a little undersized and I wonder if he can hold up for a whole season. Keeping Marshall healthy is a big issue. Both of these guys will need some backup relief.

Stickler is the only "long term" backup and our best hope but he haslimited game experience. There was a mention of one of the Morgans moving to OT. ( This makes sense ). Ivenmeyer, a walk-on, played in the two deep last Spring when we were very thin at OL. A freshman is another possibility. Thoughts?

Offensive line depth? It does not appear that we have very much. I really wish Klock and Fromayan were back. I guess we best pray that no one gets hurt or that someone really steps up to fill the gap. I pray that Stickler and the twins recognize the gravity of this situation and the opportunity therein to get better over the summer. I do not know if any of the freshmen will be good enough to play right off the bat. Coach Johnson does not appear to be unduly concerned so maybe its not as dire as we seem to think.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I'm not giving up on Shamire. I like what I see from him in games. Hopefully he and the coaches get on the same page regarding the non-film stuff. If Braun & Devine lock down the guards, that frees Bryan to start at a tackle, which solves this problem. Marshall is a clutch multi-tool 6th lineman. I think one of the Morgan twins will be ready this Fall.

Conner Hanson reminds me of Kenny Cooper but in a 300 lb+ body. I think he can play this Fall.

This is encouraging. I forgot about Shamire. He certainly has all the tools and is battle tested so there is that.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Offensive line depth? It does not appear that we have very much. I really wish Klock and Fromayan were back. I guess we best pray that no one gets hurt or that someone really steps up to fill the gap. I pray that Stickler and the twins recognize the gravity of this situation and the opportunity therein to get better over the summer. I do not know if any of the freshmen will be good enough to play right off the bat. Coach Johnson does not appear to be unduly concerned so maybe its not as dire as we seem to think.

Good news is we crosstrain our OL, starting them all from C and working out to T. If we have a solid 8, we'll be ok. I think we're pretty high on a couple of incoming freshmen, too.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Good news is we crosstrain our OL, starting them all from C and working out to T. If we have a solid 8, we'll be ok. I think we're pretty high on a couple of incoming freshmen, too.
CPJ mentioned that he thinks Boe T. can compete for a two deep spot inside. I agree that a solid 8 would be good, so long as the permutations work out.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
It could also be the case that Lee will get replaced. I keep hearing from those who pay attention to this kind of thing that he had a "bad spring". I doubt it was that bad, but you never can tell. Will having experience at OT and Shamire being a former starter gives us a lot of flexibility so long as only one OT has to be replaced or gets demoted. If we loose both Marshall and Lee through some kind of tsunami then we are in potential trouble.

I would say that "couldn't happen" then I remember pre-season in 2015. It can. Hope it doesn't.

It can and has happened. Besides 2015, 1967 had not one, not two, but three quarterbacks go down with injuries. It was so bad that Bill Eastman, a defensive back, had to play quarterback and a team that had won its first four games lost six in a row as the injuries piled up. Depth at Tech has almost always been a precarious and precious commodity. It seems we never have enough although we appear to be in good shape at the skill positions and in most spots on defense. I will say that 2015 was just about the worst in modern Tech football history. I can't remember another year as bad especially to Abacks.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Because our "horrid" D made some plays? (n)

Don't forget the squad was split in two and injuries limited participation. Bit early for your take imo.

Actually. My take has not been given. The OT change is a repetitive point for years referring more to allowing more 2pt vs blocking out of 3 pt as much as we do. But our O is generally good so this is small in relativity.

my take on the D has been right in the past. I will give my take again in fall per my other post once i see fall practices and HOW they are being coached

i just dont wear gold colored glasses exclusively.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Lee and Marshall will be solid. We have to find a third guy to rotate here. Hopefully Stickler will be the guy. Behind those 3 we will have to scramble to find another quality Tackle. Ron West best be working the possible subs hard this off season. We are very thin unless some freshman comes in and is another Parker Braun type player.

Go Jackets!