OT depth

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Our O and D positions are well covered from a depth standpoint except for OT. We were in great shape before Klock and Fromayan departed. ( Center could become an issue without Marshall available as a backup ).

Marshall is certainly a capable starter at OT but he has missed some playing time with dings during his career. Lee is a little undersized and I wonder if he can hold up for a whole season. Keeping Marshall healthy is a big issue. Both of these guys will need some backup relief.

Stickler is the only "long term" backup and our best hope but he haslimited game experience. There was a mention of one of the Morgans moving to OT. ( This makes sense ). Ivenmeyer, a walk-on, played in the two deep last Spring when we were very thin at OL. A freshman is another possibility. Thoughts?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Our O and D positions are well covered from a depth standpoint except for OT. We were in great shape before Klock and Fromayan departed. ( Center could become an issue without Marshall available as a backup ).

Marshall is certainly a capable starter at OT but he has missed some playing time with dings during his career. Lee is a little undersized and I wonder if he can hold up for a whole season. Keeping Marshall healthy is a big issue. Both of these guys will need some backup relief.

Stickler is the only "long term" backup and our best hope but he haslimited game experience. There was a mention of one of the Morgans moving to OT. ( This makes sense ). Ivenmeyer, a walk-on, played in the two deep last Spring when we were very thin at OL. A freshman is another possibility. Thoughts?

If needed, Will can play tackle if our guard depth is stronger.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Lee is no longer undersized. Kid is a beast. Check out the tug of war clips from workouts. I think this O-Line is going to very good, especially the front line of Marshall, Bryan, Cooper, Braun, Lee

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Lee is no longer undersized. Kid is a beast. Check out the tug of war clips from workouts. I think this O-Line is going to very good, especially the front line of Marshall, Bryan, Cooper, Braun, Lee

I completely agree with the comments about the starters. At other O and D positions we have known and capable backups. My point is about OT (and maybe C) backups.

GTFLETCH

Banned
It appears our depth is actually better. We look good at Oline....Obviously we need to stay healthy

Center: Cooper, A Marshall, Tuefele

Guard: BRAUN, BRYAN, DEVINE, B. MORGAN, S. Morgan, C. Hanson

Tackle: Lee, A. Marshall, Stickler, Quinney, Clark, M. Milehan..

This before we get to walkons.. what will be interesting is if Ivenmeyer earns a scholly during spring or fall..

Link
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college/depth-chart-analysis-offensive-line/VYohhZeoBx4c1CoIpRhCGK/

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I still believe that when it is all said and done this year's offensive line will go down as the best in the Johnson era. Perhaps no All Americans like Shaq but still from tackle to tackle the best, perhaps in living memory.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
We need to stay Healthy... You cannot depend on freshmen. Most freshmen are not ready to compete at this level. We need to have the guys already in the program to stay healthy. We have some guys who have been in the strength program and are ready to contribute.

What he said. Listen to the man, he knows what he is talking about.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We need to stay Healthy... You cannot depend on freshmen. Most freshmen are not ready to compete at this level. We need to have the guys already in the program to stay healthy. We have some guys who have been in the strength program and are ready to contribute.

I agee. I assume you are talking the Morgans, Stickler, and maybe Ivenmeyer. Are there others (OL) in the program that we are not hearing anything about?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The Spring Game OL situation will be very interesting. We are not as thin for the game in the OL as we were last year, but we are thin with only 9 schlorship players participating for 10 positions plus backups. One walk-on will have to start on the second team and all OL backups for both teams will be walk-ons. (no true freshmen OL available for the game).

Again, like last year, the Gold Team O will really struggle because of the big drop off in blocking. The drop off in the second team front 7 D is not as pronounced IMO and the Gold team will be hard pressed to score on (run) drives. Gold team passing could be a surprise but not likely because of inexperienced pass blocking (Shamire an exception). I predict a 20+ point victory for the White. Of course turnovers and big plays could prove me wrong, and I would be wrong but happy if the Gold OL can effectively block.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I heard Stickler got injured falling off of a moped. He best get his butt in gear if he plans to play football while at Tech. I think he graduates pretty soon. We need for him, the Morgans and a few others to start earning their way.

Go Jackets!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I heard Stickler got injured falling off of a moped. He best get his butt in gear if he plans to play football while at Tech. I think he graduates pretty soon. We need for him, the Morgans and a few others to start earning their way.

Go Jackets!

Maybe he fell because he was shifting gears ... in his butt. Eeeeeyooo!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't think this is as big a problem as it looks. If push comes to shove (let's hope not) Bryan can move to OT and Shamire can take over at guard. Both of them can play.

There's also The Twins and Stickler plus a bunch of frosh OLs coming in. I'm guessing we can paste together a decent two-deep OL from these components. It'll be interesting to see how things work out next year. Or this spring, for that matter.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not giving up on Shamire. I like what I see from him in games. Hopefully he and the coaches get on the same page regarding the non-film stuff. If Braun & Devine lock down the guards, that frees Bryan to start at a tackle, which solves this problem. Marshall is a clutch multi-tool 6th lineman. I think one of the Morgan twins will be ready this Fall.

Conner Hanson reminds me of Kenny Cooper but in a 300 lb+ body. I think he can play this Fall.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Conner is a big ol boy! I was thinking conditioning could be an issue then IIRC he runs track, so maybe not!