Orange Bowl Redux

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The five MSU guys in front of me kept saying the entire second half, "We can't stop a damn dive play!" Then they would go buy more beer.
That just shows their ignorance. They actually did stop the dive fairly well for much of the game, at least the dive to the A gap. CPJ devised a great counter to their strength at DT. The play that was so successful was us actually stacking 3OLs to the play side of center and then pulling the play side OG in the direction of the play and running the BB to the (what would you call it now?) C gap? They never adjusted.......ever. 6 or 8 yards a pop, over and over, until we decided to run an option play or two. A thing of beauty!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I grew up with that one plus "Mell of a Hess"
Whoa. Ever get the ultimate putdown of "You ain't got sense got gave a billy goat", or "He won't know you from Adam's housecat" (or "Hogan's goat)? Whatever happened to language, anyway?
That just shows their ignorance. They actually did stop the dive fairly well for much of the game, at least the dive to the A gap. CPJ devised a great counter to their strength at DT. The play that was so successful was us actually stacking 3OLs to the play side of center and then pulling the play side OG in the direction of the play and running the BB to the (what would you call it now?) C gap? They never adjusted.......ever. 6 or 8 yards a pop, over and over, until we decided to run an option play or two. A thing of beauty!
That poor temp DC had that "deer" and "headlights" look, didn't he?

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fun though that may be....back to the game.

One thing that stands out to me was how perfect the temperature was at kickoff. 78 degrees in south Florida on December 31. Unbelievable. It had rain a bit that morning, but as the day went on the prettier it seemed to get. We had lunch outside on Ocean Drive in South Beach. Sat out people-watching at the beach. Walked the street and then headed for the stadium late that afternoon. At Fanfest, and inside the stadium, we couldn't believe how comfortable it was.

Contrasted with Nashville the year before, the Orange Bowl really delivered on the fan experience.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
We stayed, too. Even though we had a 1.5 hr drive ahead of us as soon as the game was over, we wanted to savor the moment. We stuck around for the trophy presentations and it was worth it.

I had to catch the hotel shuttle at 0500 for a flight out of Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood. Got back to the hotel about 0145. Stayed up to watch highlights on SportsCenter and some replay. Didn't sleep until I got back to the casa about 10 am that day.
Absolutely worth it.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
If I recall the OB would not allow MSU to bang the bells when Tech had possession. My memory is from TV, but it is of the ace MSU RB groggy on the sidelines after being leveled by Golden and fumbling. (Anybody would have.) There were of course a couple of snapshots of Mullen and the acting DC (Omigo, he must have been thinking) looking thoroughly flummoxed and resigned. And now, after this, I am going to go back and watch it.

I loved that sideline shot. The RB was not only groggy but had spilled his stomach and was feeling horrible. If you notice, once he sees that the camera is trained on him, he jumps up and looks directly into the camera and shakes his head like, "oh, I didn't just vomit from that brutal hit". LOL! Nobody that I've relived the game with remembers that but I saw it live.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I sure liked, "when they pass, they mean it" as Waller pulled in a long touchdown.
That may be the single funniest thing I ever hear about GT football. I think it originated with CPJ. But, it's just so apt. At the ACC championship game in Charlotte, we sat in the end zone. There were mostly GT fans there, but also a handful of Fla State people. One of them turned around several plays into our first or second series. "Y'all ain't thrown the ball yet. When you gonna throw the BALL?!"

I said, "Oh...it's not time to throw the ball yet. Your defense will tell us when it's time to throw the ball." He shook his head and turned around. :(

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I loved that sideline shot. The RB was not only groggy but had spilled his stomach and was feeling horrible. If you notice, once he sees that the camera is trained on him, he jumps up and looks directly into the camera and shakes his head like, "oh, I didn't just vomit from that brutal hit". LOL! Nobody that I've relived the game with remembers that but I saw it live.
I did not see the vomit but I did see him looking queasy and then shaking his head at the camera as if to say, "I'm fine; that devastating hit was not as bad as you think it was." He was hurting.