Option question?

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I am hoping someone can help me answer this and I feel like we may have done it once before. But while we are running the true triple option and JT has faked the dive, runs out to the side with the option to pitch, can he pass downfield or a crossing WR?

I ask because it seems teams are loading the box sending 8 players to stop us from running the triple option and if we could do this then the LB would have to stay back. The only catch would be the OL would have to stay back a bit so it would not be a penalty.

Ideas/thoughts?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I am hoping someone can help me answer this and I feel like we may have done it once before. But while we are running the true triple option and JT has faked the dive, runs out to the side with the option to pitch, can he pass downfield or a crossing WR?

I ask because it seems teams are loading the box sending 8 players to stop us from running the triple option and if we could do this then the LB would have to stay back. The only catch would be the OL would have to stay back a bit so it would not be a penalty.

Ideas/thoughts?

I'm sure we've playactioned off 3-O action. However, as you stated, getting everyone on the same page so it doesn't end up in a penalty is the issue this year. Joe was flagged for being downfield this past game IIRC.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Ideas/thoughts?
I think you answered your own question. It really cannot be a "read" play where the pass happens off a "run" call in the huddle. Half our OL is shooting out to get to the next level. That is a flag. We have lots of "play action" where the backfield looks like a run, but on those plays the OL is not heading up field to get blocks at the second level. However, those are called passes in the huddle.

If we tell the OL to "stay back a little" it won't be a run play at all. Our entire offense is predicated on speedy OLs getting down field.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe the NCAA rule is that ineligible players have to stay within 3 yards of the LOS on a pass beyond the LOS. Screens and laterals are exempt from this rule.

There are offenses that do a run-pass option like you're talking about (this used to be a big part of Chip Kelly's offense, for example, and Baylor and Auburn still use it extensively), but it is almost always out of the shotgun or pistol. They'll run read or speed option action in the backfield, with the QB having a third option of a quick slant or hitch to the play-side WR if the CB crashes the backfield.

A lot of announcers will misdiagnose this as a play-action pass, when it was actually a triple option play.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
A lot of announcers will misdiagnose this as a play-action pass, when it was actually a triple option play.

Speaking of announcers misdiagnosing things, the CLEM broadcast really pissed me off. IMHO we made CLEM look light years better due to our lack of execution including leaving the wrong guy unblocked, blocking the wrong guy, etc. On every missed play the announcer fell over himself about how CLEM was totally unblockable and had totally figured us out. I'm sitting at home like, "well, no that was clearly a bad read by ... everybody". Not that it matters, just had to get that rant out. Sorry dude.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, Mike Patrick did not cover himself in glory with the calls in this game. It seems like they spent a lot more time preparing Clemson notes than GT stuff. Probably justified, but still.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The closest thing we done to what you're describing is "play action" off the counter motion. We've had guys WIDE OPEN on those.

I've always thought we could run a "packaged play" off the triple, but as some have alluded to, it would require the OL to be disciplined. I think it's a play that NEEDS to be instituted given how teams are just loading the box and not even respecting our passing game. That way the CBs and safeties have to think twice before firing to the play side or motion side.

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Really just watching us play Sat when we ran a play to the side and Clemson has 8 guys all over us I just kept thinking dude there has to be something just right over their heads.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This conversation got me thinking. . .If we're running the true 3-O, and on the pitch, the trailing back gets ahead of the QB, and it becomes a legal forward pass, could we then be flagged for an ineligible receiver down field because the OL has released to the 2nd level to block?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This conversation got me thinking. . .If we're running the true 3-O, and on the pitch, the trailing back gets ahead of the QB, and it becomes a legal forward pass, could we then be flagged for an ineligible receiver down field because the OL has released to the 2nd level to block?

Dude, don't give them any ideas. You should delete that post in an hour or so.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't think so if both the pass and completion are on our side of the LOS. If the ball crosses the LOS in the air during the "pass", I think it is.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Depends on whether the received pass is behind the LOS or not. I believe you can block downfield on a pass reception behind the LOS.