Option football in the pro's

ponder6168

Georgia Tech Fan
I follow GT because I love the option offense (I am a Missouri fan first) and gather most of the people on this board also love option football so I would like to hear your opinion on whether an option offense could work in the NFL. I know this isn't exactly a GT FB topic, but it might help pass the time until the season starts. I will list some of the reasons given why it wouldn't work and why I disagree.

1) NFL players are too fast.

I don't understand this at all. It seems to me this would apply to all offenses. I assume NFL defenses play their fast players against traditional offenses. Plus speed is relative. The offensive players are faster too. Also, if it is essential to have a speed advantage in the back field for it to work how do you explain all the success the Academies have had running it. I don't think they have a speed advantage game in and game out. I watched Navy shred MU's defense in a bowl game a few years ago and I would bet money MU had faster players on defense than Navy did on offense. I also think you can find lots of backs with great straight line speed if you really need it.

2) NFL defenses would figure it out.

This is another argument which appears to me to apply to any offense. I assume NFL coordinators spend time every summer working on how to defense the traditional NFL offenses and yet teams still score. I also assume a team running the option would spend the summer finding new wrinkles to add in. Plus, how much time are you going to spend on ways to defend an offense you face once or twice a year compared to the 14 traditional offenses. Compare that to the option offensive staff would spend all summer finding better ways to run the offense with the personal they have. Also, who has a better chance of implementing your plan, the offense who works on the same offense every week and consists of players drafted just for that offense or the defense who does it once or twice a year with players drafted to defend a traditional offense. The only actual case study is with Tim Tebow and the Broncos and what did we find. A team which had won 4-12 the season before had gone 1-4 so far that season went 8-5, including 1-1 in the playoffs. This with a head coach and offensive coordinator who didn't believe in the offense and didn't want to run it and admitted they were making it up as they went.. They also had gotten rid of their best receiver and their top two running backs were injured during the season. I don't see the evidence that the off season time would help the defense more than the offense.

3) QB's would get hurt.

Four of the top five all team leading rushers in the NFL were listed at 205 and less (Smith, Dorsett, Martin and Sanders, the bus is the exception), but if I take Tim Tebow at 230 lbs and put a QB number on him he will never be able to take the punishment. Tebow wasn't a running QB, he was a passing RB and I think you could find lots of players like him. I would agree you would need to carry 3 or 4 QB's but you would be able to draft the best option QB out of college every year with a mid-round pick so depth should not be a problem. Maybe you should rotate the QB position like you do the running back position. The Chief's have one of the best RB's in football, but there will be several times in a game the 2nd string RB plays an entire series. I think you could do the same with your QB in an option offense.

The NFL would have advantages colleges don't have. The QB and left tackle positions chew up huge amounts of the salary cap for most teams but that would not be the case for the option team (although if you were successful and other teams started to use it, the option QB salaries would go up). It is much cheaper to sign good run-blocking linemen than good pass-blocking linemen. That would leave a lot of money to build your defense with. If you watched the Broncos during Tebow's season he often had all day to pass because the defense was so focused on the run. You wouldn't have to recruit a good receiver you could draft him. Once he figured out the defense would have to put 9 in the box to stop the run which means he would get 1-1 coverage he might find he liked making 6 catches a game with 2 or 3 tds.

If any of you are interested in this topic I look forward to reading your opinions. Thanks!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The absolute biggest reason the run option isn't used that much is fan perception.

If an owner wanted to do it they would need to be 100% on board and have a GM who is 100% on board to deal with the incessant abuse form fans over the decision. That's why I think if a team were to do it it would be an expansion team just starting out. Look at all the flak Chip Kelly is getting for installing a passing option offense at the Eagles.

The QB issue I think would work out if you have a solid 1 and 2 2's on the roster. Most teams don't want to pay and invest in 3 QB's though with a run option type team you may be able to get 3 guys for cheaper than 1 Drew Brees.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great post. I especially like the idea of 2 QBs who alternate to spread the fatigue and pain. This is what I argued for when JT was a FR and TW was the QB. JT would be even better and maybe not lost the Fluke game last year if he had more experience.

But you need two QBs with near capabilities to be able to justify have the second one coming in.

Pro football is an entertainment business. Gotta go with what sells. There is so much money on the line, that I don't see many owners wanting to try to make a doubly obscene amount of money rather than just an obscene amount. If you had a successful option team, I think the fans would become even more enthused since they were different and winning. But no way to prove it unless you do it, I just hope that no one lures CPJ away for GT.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Without some really creative plays ie rocket toss to ab that can pass as well as. run . , I think the pros would blitz the ab.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is zero doubt in my mind that an option based offense like ours would work in the NFL. There are some issues, however, with getting it started and maybe a disadvantage in the long term. First of all, it would take a huge commitment in terms of personell change over that may take a few years to establish. Are NFL fans that patient? If your franchise went to the flexbone as its offense, you could kiss goodbye the thought of a long tenured QB. There is no way in Hades that the equivalent of a Peyton Manning aged option QB would ever exist. In college, you never have to worry about guys getting too old. 30 years of age might be the breaking point for an option QB in the pros. That doesn't leave a lot of time for maturation and tutelage etc before the shelf life runs out. For this reason, QBs would never be the franchise type of player that they are now. It doesn't mean it would be wrong or wouldn't work, but it would be a paradigm shift.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Great points boomer. I'm not sure the shelf life for an option QB would be quite as short as some think. Though it would be shorter than for a pocket passer no doubt. I think the loss of athleticism as he ages would factor bigger than the physical toll he'd face from hits. Option QBs should typically avoid contact. The toll joints take cutting etc would factor also though. I'd say 35 is probably the ceiling. 30 might be the norm.

The pass happy NFL is ripe for the picking of an option offense. It will never happen due to perceptions. I'd love to see the best college offenses nationally play vs an NFL defense in a series of exhibitions. I'm certain our guys would do comparatively well.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree that an option offense would work in the pros; shoot, the Seahawks have installed limited double options already. True, they have the best QB on football to run them, but there it is. Also, when Tebow ran the Bronco O using a few spread option plays the Broncs led the NFL in rushing. I was looking forward to the next season with them running some spread TO plays with Bebe coming across. That would have been interesting.

I think if I had to pinpoint the main reason none of the pro teams have gone to the option full tilt, it would be roster size. 45 players and a taxi squad is a pretty small roster for a team that is running RBs on to the field every other play. The need for the WRs to block is also a problem. Finally, there's that pesky business about paying the players. If you have several QBs, RBs, and WRs contributing regularly and the team is successful, those players will demand more money and, if you want to keep the O, you'll have to pay it. True, as long as no one else is running the same O, you can hold fast. But what if 4 or 5 teams switch? Then you will be faced with rising personnel costs. Owners hate that.

Still, I expect that sooner or later someone will go whole hog on the TO and succeed with it. We're in the same situation now that the league was in before the Bears switched to the T. It's only a matter of time. The old pro style won't go away, of course, but the NFL will become more fun to watch.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree that an option offense would work in the pros; shoot, the Seahawks have installed limited double options already. True, they have the best QB on football to run them, but there it is. Also, when Tebow ran the Bronco O using a few spread option plays the Broncs led the NFL in rushing. I was looking forward to the next season with them running some spread TO plays with Bebe coming across. That would have been interesting.

I think if I had to pinpoint the main reason none of the pro teams have gone to the option full tilt, it would be roster size. 45 players and a taxi squad is a pretty small roster for a team that is running RBs on to the field every other play. The need for the WRs to block is also a problem. Finally, there's that pesky business about paying the players. If you have several QBs, RBs, and WRs contributing regularly and the team is successful, those players will demand more money and, if you want to keep the O, you'll have to pay it. True, as long as no one else is running the same O, you can hold fast. But what if 4 or 5 teams switch? Then you will be faced with rising personnel costs. Owners hate that.

Still, I expect that sooner or later someone will go whole hog on the TO and succeed with it. We're in the same situation now that the league was in before the Bears switched to the T. It's only a matter of time. The old pro style won't go away, of course, but the NFL will become more fun to watch.
The NFL's target market is the dumb masses. Appreciating the run game requires a football sophistication beyond their target market.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The main reason is QB. 120 million dollar player running the ball? No way in Hades if I'm the owner. They have turned or are trying to turn all of the runners into passers. RG3, Vick, Wilson, and the guy from SF.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The main reason is QB. 120 million dollar player running the ball? No way in Hades if I'm the owner. They have turned or are trying to turn all of the runners into passers. RG3, Vick, Wilson, and the guy from SF.
Yes, to solve that problem, an NFL team would need three $20million quarterbacks!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On second thought, maybe the ga tech option could work.
It could work if Nfl allows holding on run plays like they do on pass plays.

Or
On third thought _ refs would call chop blocking on any play gaining 10 or more yards.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Some of you are missing the point. You don't need top dollar nfl qbs and rbs to be successful. You pay for linemen and a D. A successful qb in your system wouldn't necessarily be high market qb elsewhere.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Cut back on halfbacks and of course TE's.
Options work every where for certain, but with every other reason expressed why it wouldn't t, this one foremost: I am trying to picture Ray Lewis with a shot at an exposed QB 40-60 pounds lighter. He would grow fangs and salivate en route. How many times can a team say about a QB, "Next man up"?

The other reason of course is that the team would have to be innovative. Innovative and NFL do not go in the same sentence.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great points boomer. I'm not sure the shelf life for an option QB would be quite as short as some think. Though it would be shorter than for a pocket passer no doubt. I think the loss of athleticism as he ages would factor bigger than the physical toll he'd face from hits. Option QBs should typically avoid contact. The toll joints take cutting etc would factor also though. I'd say 35 is probably the ceiling. 30 might be the norm.

The pass happy NFL is ripe for the picking of an option offense. It will never happen due to perceptions. I'd love to see the best college offenses nationally play vs an NFL defense in a series of exhibitions. I'm certain our guys would do comparatively well.
Yeah, I'm not talking about hits either necessarily. It is just that you have to be quick to run this. You are really only quick for so long. The hits do add up however, and I am not talking about injuries ending careers, but rather a general pounding. When you consider the average RB career in the NFL is about 4 years, it is hard to project that an option QB would be a whole lot longer.

If this were to come to pass (sorry about the pun), you wouldn't find $20MM QBs on these teams. They would probably be paid more like an average player and the teams would have to be signing a guy pretty much every year at that position in order to keep the shelves stocked. The good news is that you might be the only team who would want to take them, so it could go late round and low dollars, maybe even UDFA.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I think it would work. I don't see where some teams would have anything to lose in trying it out. Cleveland has been bad as long as I can remember, if they could bring it in and get to the playoffs it would prove it could be done. Like you say you could draft an elite option QB every year in a mid round. Also get guys that could be amazing weapons as AB in later rounds. You can draft 4.3 speed guys and have them disposable at AB, then get a couple of decent 230 BB and then you have a squad.

ponder6168

Georgia Tech Fan
Options work every where for certain, but with every other reason expressed why it wouldn't t, this one foremost: I am trying to picture Ray Lewis with a shot at an exposed QB 40-60 pounds lighter. He would grow fangs and salivate en route. How many times can a team say about a QB, "Next man up"?

The other reason of course is that the team would have to be innovative. Innovative and NFL do not go in the same sentence.
How is that any different than Payton, Martin, Sanders and Dorsett playing against those same defenses for 10+ years at 205 lbs or less? Tebow was closer to Lewis's size than their size. It seems to me the option QB should take no more of a pounding than a typical RB, maybe less, depending on the rotation and how they call the plays.

ponder6168

Georgia Tech Fan
I think that is because these guys are running QB's, not passing RB's like Tebow or back in my day Thomas Lott at OK and Norman Cromwell at KU. Both had long careers in the NFL at other positions.