Opening Weekend - BYU/ Marshall / Western Michigan

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Having a whiskey to celebrate.

How far did that Kel HR go? Off Brock! I can't find any stats......

But giving up 11 hits to 7 is bad. Curry and Ryan were solid; otherwise .........

BYU had 3 errors to our 1........

Win any way is good. 21 in a row weekend non-conference wins. Need to run it up to 23 by Sunday!

Xavion Curry on WREK says one of the best days for his life to get opening day win. It's just baseball. He loves Chase for the OF put out at home!

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sweep!

Great weekend for the Jackets. Curry, Hughes, and Gibson all looked good. Pretty much all the relievers got to throw an inning or so.

Austin Wilhite and Craport were the offensive MVP's, but pretty much everyone hit well.

On to Ga Southern this week for another W!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sweep!

Great weekend for the Jackets. Curry, Hughes, and Gibson all looked good. Pretty much all the relievers got to throw an inning or so.

Austin Wilhite and Craport were the offensive MVP's, but pretty much everyone hit well.

On to Ga Southern this week for another W!

GS has been tough for us iirc.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, what did we learn this weekend? I missed parts of all three game, gotta do better ........

#1. We learned the ACC is not that good out of the box.
  • GT is one of four teams in the ACC to win all their games.
  • The other 10 ACC teams lost at least one. Fluke and BC got swept. Clemson lost a series to Wright State.
  • I think the ACC is 25-20 with a game to go. Hardly the stuff of the best conference in baseball against what was supposed to be inferior competition. This weekend will not help the ACC team's RPIs. If the ACC doesn't do better, a lot better, and there will be fewer ACC teams in the NCAAs.
  • Did I mention we won all three? Last year, BYU had a 57 rpi, Marshall 63 and Western Michigan 214. Not top 50 caliber, but we won.
#2. We have pitching depth. The quality remains to be seen as the competition ramps up but we have depth.
  • A 2.33 ERA is ok. Good for the beginning of the season, bad for the caliber of two of the teams.
  • Curry by far the best.
  • Hughes is a head scratcher ..... 3 four pitch walks . Two of the walks were lead off hitters. But then he got his control later in the innings with 7 strike outs.
  • Gibson and King I wasn't able to listen to. What do people think of those two? Gibson's stats look real good with 17 batters and only two hits (one HR) but 3 SO and only one walk.
  • Zac Attack is a closing stud.
#3. Early season defense wasn't stellar.
  • Infield is solid other than 1st. Austin all over the place and fabulous fielding.
  • I'm not at all sure Kel is good at first from the way WREK called it. At least four bobbles or missed plays that were discussed.
  • The outfield has lost nothin' from last year throwing out those trying to take home.
#4. We haven't forgot how to hit.
  • Back to back to back HRs. Murder's row from top to bottom.
  • Team batting .327 and slugging .533.

Last edited:

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, what did we learn this weekend? I missed parts of all three game, gotta do better ........

• The other 10 ACC teams lost at least one. Fluke and BC got swept. Clemson lost a series to Wright State.
  • I think the ACC is 25-20 with a game to go. Hardly the stuff of the best conference in baseball against what was supposed to be inferior competition. This weekend will not help the ACC team's RPIs. If the ACC doesn't do better, a lot better, and there will be fewer ACC teams in the NCAAs.
  • Did I mention we won all three? Last year, BYU had a 57 rpi, Marshall 63 and Western Michigan 214. Not top 50 caliber, but we won.
#2. We have pitching depth. The quality remains to be seen as the competition ramps up but we have depth.
  • A 2.33 ERA is ok. Good for the beginning of the season, bad for the caliber of two of the teams.
  • Curry by far the best.
  • Hughes is a head scratcher ..... 3 four pitch walks . Two of the walks were lead off hitters. But then he got his control later in the innings with 7 strike outs.
  • Gibson and King I wasn't able to listen to. What do people think of those two? Gibson's stats look real good with 17 batters and only two hits (one HR) but 3 SO and only one walk.
  • Infield is solid other than 1st. Austin all over the place and fabulous fielding.
  • I'm not at all sure Kel is good at first from the way WREK called it. At least four bobbles or missed plays that were discussed.
  • The outfield has lost nothin' from last year throwing out those trying to take home.
If I remember correctly (which it's very likely I don't), ACC didn't do great the opening weekend last year either.

I didn't get to see Curry, but did get to see Hughes and Gibson live. Both looked pretty good. Hughes hadn't pitched in a real game in almost 11 months, so he wasn't super sharp, but still flashed some really good stuff. I think he probably threw 70-75 pitches in 4 innings. Gibson--was great to see him have some better command than last year with only 1 walk in 5 innings. Just threw that one fastball too much over the middle of the plate on the HR. King struggled in his 2/3 inning.

Was very encouraged by both Hughes and Gibson as well as some of the relievers. Obviously not ACC caliber hitting we faced, but a great way to start the season.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I'm not sure I would be so harsh about the ACC just yet. Some of the results are solid...UNC swept Kentucky...and other than Duke the ACC Coastal is 17-1 this past weekend. Duke is (1) not that great and (2) was on the road to some pretty good west coast teams.

Teams like Pitt, Boston College and even Notre Dame are fundamentally northern teams with all the disadvantages that implies (especially early in the year). Let's see what they're like in April. I would argue only Clemson really disappointed...their series loss to Wright State was...embarrassing.

The SEC had some surprises as well. No only did the Dawgs drop a series to College of Charleston (who finished sixth in their conference last year), but a number of other teams dropped one game in their series....Tennessee lost one to Memphis, Alabama lost one to Presbyterian, Auburn dropped a game to George Washington, and South Carolina lost one to UNC-Greensboro. Those aren't exactly results to be proud of. Overall record is better than the ACC, yes...but that is largely because the ACC includes northern teams and the SEC doesn't. Their one marque series win was Ole Miss besting East Carolina. Then there was Kentucky, as already mentioned...getting swept in the only ACC SEC matchup so far.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
They haven't used a freshman pitcher named Gooden. I thought he was highly rated coming in,butI may be wrong.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

• Curry by far the best.
Nice little post-weekend "debrief"...& like you, I caught bits & pieces of the weekend action.

Having made that clear, my biggest concern based on 1st three games is defense at 1st base. I'd appreciate anyone who actually saw the action live weighing in on this. Should we worry about below average defensive play from that position?

Nice surprises of the weekend... Freshman play. A.Wilhite & Murray are leading team in BA. Curry as Opening Day starter holding BYU scoreless in 5IP.

3-0 is what we should have expected. Glad the team handled their business.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Having made that clear, my biggest concern based on 1st three games is defense at 1st base. I'd appreciate anyone who actually saw the action live weighing in on this. Should we worry about below average defensive play from that position?
I wouldn't be too worried about it because most of the throws that were bobbles were bad hops or shot hops. It is something that we definitely need to clean up though before ACC play.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Don't read too much into a single weekend. It's way too early to be worried about conference RPIs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If I remember correctly (which it's very likely I don't), ACC didn't do great the opening weekend last year either. ......

Looking at the ACC games where I could easily find the scores on from Gametracker, for the 2016 opening weekend the ACC was 10-2 ...... obviously a lot of other games but that's more in line with what I remember....... http://www.cstv.com/gametracker/sco...ol=ncaa&sport=mbasebl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Don't read too much into a single weekend. It's way too early to be worried about conference RPIs.

I'm not worried, I recognize it's the end of the season as we know it.......
(that counts most).

"I say it’s never too early to start fueling up the pain train. Just like Jake the Snake’s DDT, cruel but fair. So let’s get the whippin’ stick out and start lashing out at those who disappointed the college baseball world this weekend.

Here it is, the Ouch List." https://d1baseball.com/columns/ouch-list-debut/

3 of the 8 spots were held by the ACC; Clemson, BC and Duke. FSU dropping the season opener could have been there too ........