Only off topic coversations!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Brisket is the obvious counter to this nonsense
I was going to say the above. Also, if you haven't yet and like to smoke, pick up a picanha (large sirloin roast with untrimmed fat cap). Costco will have them from time to time. Will pulled pork butt is at the top of the pyramid, this dish is the most popular by far when tailgating/entertaining. I think it's bc most folks know and enjoy pulled pork they have had it all the time. Most folks haven't had this and it gets rave reviews. Plus it's about the easiest thing there is to smoke. Cannot recommend it enough.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I was going to say the above. Also, if you haven't yet and like to smoke, pick up a picanha (large sirloin roast with untrimmed fat cap). Costco will have them from time to time. Will pulled pork butt is at the top of the pyramid, this dish is the most popular by far when tailgating/entertaining. I think it's bc most folks know and enjoy pulled pork they have had it all the time. Most folks haven't had this and it gets rave reviews. Plus it's about the easiest thing there is to smoke. Cannot recommend it enough.
How do you cook your picanha? I just did a reverse sear on one for new years and it turned out a perfectly medium rare piece of meat...

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan

Do you have a recommendation for an easily portable electric smoker for tailgating (+ at home use)? Been thinking of getting one for awhile, but haven't pulled the trigger... tempted to finally get one to take to Louisville this year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
How do you cook your picanha? I just did a reverse sear on one for new years and it turned out a perfectly medium rare piece of meat...
I have to look it up but I think it’s about 75 minutes and a sear at the end. Don’t quote me though. Medium rare is how I like it as well. Smoker is at 225 ish.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Do you have a recommendation for an easily portable electric smoker for tailgating (+ at home use)? Been thinking of getting one for awhile, but haven't pulled the trigger... tempted to finally get one to take to Louisville this year.
I can’t help you there. I have an xl Kamado Joe and a Grilla Grill pellet grill. I use each equally as they both have unique strengths and weaknesses. Smoke at home and transport your goodies to the tailgate where any device can reheat them.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I think those that limit to just pork or just vinegar sauce are missing out! I love BBQ and try not to discriminate. Different sauces types have their place in different dishes or even just to change up the flavors. Then in the meats you have pulled pork, brisket, smoked sausage, smoked wings, and even pulled chicken.

To be clear, I am not saying that all brands or restaurants have good BBQ or sauces but in general any BBQ type is a good option!!!

The only exception I have run into is from SC (at least around Columbia) cause they serve their "BBQ" over rice and that is just wrong!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think those that limit to just pork or just vinegar sauce are missing out! I love BBQ and try not to discriminate. Different sauces types have their place in different dishes or even just to change up the flavors. Then in the meats you have pulled pork, brisket, smoked sausage, smoked wings, and even pulled chicken.

To be clear, I am not saying that all brands or restaurants have good BBQ or sauces but in general any BBQ type is a good option!!!

The only exception I have run into is from SC (at least around Columbia) cause they serve their "BBQ" over rice and that is just wrong!
Yes. I like good BBQ. Period.

The hardest decision for me would be to be in a restaurant that does ALL BBQ well -pulled pork, brisket, ribs, chicken, beef ribs etc. But I’ve never had to face that because most places that serve good BBQ only know how to do one kind well.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Brisket is the obvious counter to this nonsense
kg is going to need extra lists if we start talking about bbq. One for those in the South, where opinions vary but debate is acceptable; one for those west of the river who are misguided about the differences between steak and bbq; and one for those north of good bbq who are just Yankees and by default, wrong, especially about bbq.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Was that BBQ or hash? Cause hash IS served over rice.
It is hash but regardless rice doesn't belong in a BBQ restaurant. To me hash is basically just a thicker Brunswick stew with out corn and some other stuff. It's what my wife grew up with and her dad still brings some when he comes to visit. I usually just make a pulled pork sandwich and put the hash on top of the pork like sauce.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It is hash but regardless rice doesn't belong in a BBQ restaurant. To me hash is basically just a thicker Brunswick stew with out corn and some other stuff. It's what my wife grew up with and her dad still brings some when he comes to visit. I usually just make a pulled pork sandwich and put the hash on top of the pork like sauce.
When i first moved out of state from Ga., I ordered a sandwich with a bowl of Brunswick stew as a side. When the waitress asked me what that was, I thought she was joking at first. I just thought Brunswick stew came with a pulled pork sandwich the same way french fries are served with hamburgers. Sadly, that is NOT the case.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
When i first moved out of state from Ga., I ordered a sandwich with a bowl of Brunswick stew as a side. When the waitress asked me what that was, I thought she was joking at first. I just thought Brunswick stew came with a pulled pork sandwich the same way french fries are served with hamburgers. Sadly, that is NOT the case.
I ordered Brunswick Stew at a "BBQ" place in Miami before the Orange Bowl in 09, big mistake. Was basically a bowl of mostly broth vegetable soup, not sure there was any meat in it at all.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This. It still breaks my heart. [Cries in Colorado.]