Only off topic coversations!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Anybody factored in the dirty cost of producing electricity needed to charge these vehicles? That is not the spent batteries, but the charging costs, not at the plug but at the power station.

slugboy

Staff member
Anybody factored in the dirty cost of producing electricity needed to charge these vehicles? That is not the spent batteries, but the charging costs, not at the plug but at the power station.
It’s a lot easier to keep a power station clean than a lot of individual cars. And the mix has gotten cleaner and more renewable over the last decade+

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What if we hired a defensive coordinator who had a hybrid car that was powered by cornbread? Has anyone other than me entertained that thought??

slugboy

Staff member
What if we hired a defensive coordinator who had a hybrid car that was powered by cornbread? Has anyone other than me entertained that thought??
Anyone seen (smelled) a biodiesel car lately? It an be corn oil. Pretty close to what you want.

Peppers for the afterburners

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Only if they are willing to throw in jalapenos and habaneros on third down, to spice things up.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Popeyes is running a BOGO+$1 on wings
I have had two orders.
They use regular Popeyes fried chicken wings and squirt sauce on them.
One time there was so much sauce the wings were swimming. The other time the wings went for thirst.
I found the sauce to be overly hot, even the mild sauce, and overwhelmed the chicken flavor.
I had one drum that was exactly 1/2 the size of another drum. I was still charged for a full-size wing, though.
I saved all that extra sauce for use later.
I think I’ll just stick with Publix wings.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I did a small study on CO2 emissions to generate the electricity and it was interesting. Some states generate more CO2 to drive a care one mile and some were better. ie less CO2 to drive electric.

But the states are always changing. For a little while California was really bad because of the huge coal plants just across their borders. But they have switched. Oregan and Washington state used to be good but in their push to remove damns a lot of renewable energy was taken off the market so they switched to break even.

Tennessee is good due to all the Nuke and hydro plants they have to generate thanks to TVA.
Georgia was ever so slightly worse to drive an EV car. But it will switch to better once the new nuke plants come online

So it is all over the place on CO2 emissions per mile compared to a car. FYI, I used the Honda Fit at the time for the base comparison

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I did a small study on CO2 emissions to generate the electricity and it was interesting. Some states generate more CO2 to drive a care one mile and some were better. ie less CO2 to drive electric.

But the states are always changing. For a little while California was really bad because of the huge coal plants just across their borders. But they have switched. Oregan and Washington state used to be good but in their push to remove damns a lot of renewable energy was taken off the market so they switched to break even.

Tennessee is good due to all the Nuke and hydro plants they have to generate thanks to TVA.
Georgia was ever so slightly worse to drive an EV car. But it will switch to better once the new nuke plants come online

So it is all over the place on CO2 emissions per mile compared to a car. FYI, I used the Honda Fit at the time for the base comparison

I came to the conclusion if you really want to help and not just drive a status symbol, then a small hybrid that gets close to 60 MPG would generate less CO2 in almost all states.

But then there are also ways to help by each person taking a hard look at their lifestyle and making smart decisions. Total miles driven in a jeep cut by 70% is better for the environment than an EV driving all over the place

Last edited: