Only off topic coversations!

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The fact that everything has been so quiet with so leaks is a good thing, but it's driving us crazy.

I think I remember reading or hearing something about Sherrer preferring to be a position coach? Possibly not wanting the DC role?

Either way, I think Pope and Simpson bring a lot to the table and show a clear intent to improve the defense, especially the DL/pass rush. Simpson will be a dynamite recruiter and brings a lot of experience.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The fact that everything has been so quiet with so leaks is a good thing, but it's driving us crazy.

I think I remember reading or hearing something about Sherrer preferring to be a position coach? Possibly not wanting the DC role?

Either way, I think Pope and Simpson bring a lot to the table and show a clear intent to improve the defense, especially the DL/pass rush. Simpson will be a dynamite recruiter and brings a lot of experience.

Until the defensive staff assignments come out, right now we have Pope and Simpson that were DL coaches at their previous stops, and Coleman who is currently assigned to the DL.

JTS

Georgia Tech Fan
Key seems to like Co-Coordinators. It could be that Scherer is going to be retained as a Co-DC and roles will be determined bases on who the new Co-DC is. If we are able to get a bigger name DC that wants to be the sole DC then we can re-jigger the titles to make people happy.

The exciting thing is that we have added 2 excellent DL / Run Game Coordinator coaches who are excellent recruiters with good relationships. We are taking the steps to improve on our biggest weakness. When you are ~130th against the run#, you have more than personnel issues.

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
Until the defensive staff assignments come out, right now we have Pope and Simpson that were DL coaches at their previous stops, and Coleman who is currently assigned to the DL.
Yes they both have been DL coaches in their pervious stop. But both have coach LB's as well. I think Pope will be the LB coach and Simpson the Co-DC and DL coach.

From what I have seen and heard it looks like Sherrer might be a Defensive analyst position.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If Key doesn't name a DC soon, I'm gonna go ahead and name one for him.

Right now it's Patriot's Bill Belichick and Michigan's Jesse Minter are the two finalist. I haven't made a decision yet...gonna have a bowl of ice cream and sleep on it. I will say both interviews were strong...lots to think about.
If Belichick gets out of his contract in NE, he could very likely be in Atl coaching but with us. This from a source I have that is extremely, extremely close to Arthur. Seriously.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes they both have been DL coaches in their pervious stop. But both have coach LB's as well. I think Pope will be the LB coach and Simpson the Co-DC and DL coach.

From what I have seen and heard it looks like Sherrer might be a Defensive analyst position.

Yep...I would assume there will be some shuffling/different roles. Otherwise, the DL is gonna be well coached!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Belichick gets out of his contract in NE, he could very likely be in Atl coaching but with us. This from a source I have that is extremely, extremely close to Arthur. Seriously.

There's a LOT of heat about that on Twitter. I hope not. Belichick was a great coach, but I think the game, and the way to manage players has passed him by.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
There's a LOT of heat about that on Twitter. I hope not. Belichick was a great coach, but I think the game, and the way to manage players has passed him by.
I tend to disagree here. I think it would be a very smart move. Its not every day a HoF coach falls into your lap. If you have the opportunity I think you have to take it. Maybe he lets Terry keep working the Free Agent/Personnel side. I do worry about who is making draft decisions though. Bill hasn't been great there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I tend to disagree here. I think it would be a very smart move. Its not every day a HoF coach falls into your lap. If you have the opportunity I think you have to take it. Maybe he lets Terry keep working the Free Agent/Personnel side. I do worry about who is making draft decisions though. Bill hasn't been great there.

I've listened to some podcast with current and ex NFL players. Players do not want to play for him, and his ability to "coach up" players like he once did just isn't there anymore.

It would be a bad move for the Falcons. IMO, the "Patriot Way", which is essentially Belichick, is well past its prime.

yellowjacket144

Georgia Tech Fan
? experience at DL, yes.
At LB no Pope 1 year Simoson 0 unless you go back to his coaching high school.
I stand corrected. I think I got them confused with someone else. But this might be a situation were Simpson is the Co-DC and DL coach. Pope is the DE/OLB coach. If we hire Santucci as the DC then he runs the defense and coaches the LB's. Simular to how Thacker, Colman, and Knight did in the early days of Collins.

Santucci has worked a lot with LB's over his career.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
With J Batt and Pope on board, I would not be surprised to see Key go back to the well at Alabama. Lupoi is probably too expensive, but Kuligowski, Scott and Perry are options. And I would not rule out a return of Jeremy Pruitt either.