Only off topic coversations!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hard to find around here now. Knob Creek is my usual suspect.

I haven't heard anything new about a new DC. I also haven't heard anything about Marco Coleman or Kevin Sherrer. I think it's odd that Thacker and Tillman were moved to off-field positions early and there has been no information about the other two. When Gaudin interviewed Key at the docks in Tampa he specifically asked if there were plans for additional changes to the defense. Key very quickly said no and moved on. It was obviously a topic he didn't want to discuss, but he did say no when asked.
Truthfully, we fans make more out of a process that is probably pretty straightforward and prosaic for coach Key. But who can blame us in the off season as we search for “excitement.”

I like Knob Creek also. Very decent with no funny edges. Last bottle I had got completely consumed by some guests who stayed at my vacation home and said, “Hope you don’t mind.” Some of the ones people carry on about, everything from Makers Mark to Woodford Reserve to Elijah Craig leave me a little “meh” because I always expect so much more out of them.
But I’m probably not a refined palate.

There’s a relatively inexpensive bourbon made at Moonrise Distillery in Georgia that is shockingly better than I would have thought. The owner is a former Tech chemistry professor.

So when do you think the dust will settle with the defense?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Alabama's DC has announced his retirement.

That's more competition for us in our quest to find our guy. Sure, we're not shopping in the same price range as Bama, but they will cherry pick somebody at our level and then THAT school becomes our competitor.

Anyhoo...

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
Truthfully, we fans make more out of a process that is probably pretty straightforward and prosaic for coach Key. But who can blame us in the off season as we search for “excitement.”

I like Knob Creek also. Very decent with no funny edges. Last bottle I had got completely consumed by some guests who stayed at my vacation home and said, “Hope you don’t mind.” Some of the ones people carry on about, everything from Makers Mark to Woodford Reserve to Elijah Craig leave me a little “meh” because I always expect so much more out of them.
But I’m probably not a refined palate.

There’s a relatively inexpensive bourbon made at Moonrise Distillery in Georgia that is shockingly better than I would have thought. The owner is a former Tech chemistry professor.

So when do you think the dust will settle with the defense?
I'll keep my eyes out for Moonrise Distillery. If you like rum, give Highland a try. Georgia made and almost drinks like a bourbon. Buddy got me some when he went down to St. Simon's and it's out of this world good.

On the bourbon front, my #1 recently is New Riff Single Barrel. Made in Newport, KY, relatively new distillery, but still fairly easy to find and not allocated yet.

Edit: so I don't break any rules

I'll add that I'm glad Key is taking his time with the search, but the longer it goes, the more I think he needs to nail it. The more I've thought about it, I feel like we need to hit on a strong recruiter. Seems like we haven't had a strong DL or LB class since the Gailey days and it's an area that seems harder to develop. Not a lot of Keion Whites coming through and, when they do, you don't get them for long.

Last edited:

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Alabama's DC has announced his retirement.

That's more competition for us in our quest to find our guy. Sure, we're not shopping in the same price range as Bama, but they will cherry pick somebody at our level and then THAT school becomes our competitor.

Anyhoo...
Bama fan second here - word going around the fanbase is the replacement will be Travaris Robinson. KQ already said we are not interviewing him

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'll keep my eyes out for Moonrise Distillery. If you like rum, give Highland a try. Georgia made and almost drinks like a bourbon. Buddy got me some when he went down to St. Simon's and it's out of this world good.

On the bourbon front, my #1 recently is New Riff Single Barrel. Made in Newport, KY, relatively new distillery, but still fairly easy to find and not allocated yet.

I'll add that I'm glad Key is taking his time with the search, but the longer it goes, the more I think he needs to nail it. The more I've thought about it, I feel like we need to hit on a strong recruiter. Seems like we haven't had a strong DL or LB class since the Gailey days and it's an area that seems harder to develop. Not a lot of Keion Whites coming through and, when they do, you don't get them for long.
According to Forbes the best rum distillery in America is made in Brunswick. The name is Richland, not highland. 5 different runs and one tastes like one of the best bourbons I’ve ever had.

Thanks for the tip on New Riff.

We are making an announcement on DC soon.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
According to Forbes the best rum distillery in America is made in Brunswick. The name is Richland, not highland. 5 different runs and one tastes like one of the best bourbons I’ve ever had.

Define "soon" please. Like in 5 minutes? Tomorrow? End of the week/month?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
We are making an announcement on DC soon
Hold On Waiting GIF by Fleischer Studios

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow

Yes, Richland! That's what I get for being lazy and not checking the bottle before posting. I'll update my original post.

It's out of this world good and 100% agree on the bourbon taste. Super unique and worth every penny.

Not sure if New Riff is available in GA now that I think of it. My in-laws live in Ohio, so we're up there all the time. State run liquor means much easier access to that stuff + a lot of the Buffalo Trace bourbons. Recent great bottle I snagged was Stagg.

Thanks for the tip on the DC. You happy with the decision?

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll put it this way. We are closer now than we ever have been,
On a more serious note, has something changed/happened? Did Key have a great interview today or did we have an offer out and that candidate finally accepted, etc? Or do you just feel Key is nearing a decision? You don't have to say what happened if something did.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On a more serious note, has something changed/happened? Did Key have a great interview today or did we have an offer out and that candidate finally accepted, etc? Or do you just feel Key is nearing a decision? You don't have to say what happened if something did.
Disclaimer: I know nothing.

What’s going on? Decision has been made. Announcement at appropriate time. It’s paper work and professional decorum.

Addendum: I still know nothing.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Richland! That's what I get for being lazy and not checking the bottle before posting. I'll update my original post.

It's out of this world good and 100% agree on the bourbon taste. Super unique and worth every penny.

Not sure if New Riff is available in GA now that I think of it. My in-laws live in Ohio, so we're up there all the time. State run liquor means much easier access to that stuff + a lot of the Buffalo Trace bourbons. Recent great bottle I snagged was Stagg.

Thanks for the tip on the DC. You happy with the decision?
Stagg is also good.

My wife has always said she doesn’t like rum. She insisted that we buy two bottles. The distiller knows his stuff and fun to talk to.

I am happy at this point with every decision Key is making. Even if whoever he chooses for DC looks underwhelming to some, I trust that the person will fit perfectly with what Key is building.

I’m going to relax and not obsess anymore about it. I think we’ve got this.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

There are no rules, just an attempt to intimidate those of us that tend to lose focus. New Riff is fantastic. The owner and his story is great.

Still no word on a new DC.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

Let the other guys recruit, I want someone that has us prepared and can make adjustments.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

There's a GPB show called a Fork in the Road that ran a segment on Richland Rum about 5 years ago. Richland being in Brunswick must be relatively new. That show focused on the entire operation being in Richland.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There's a GPB show called a Fork in the Road that ran a segment on Richland Rum about 5 years ago. Richland being in Brunswick must be relatively new. That show focused on the entire operation being in Richland.
Everything is sourced in Richland and the sugarcane is grown and ground there. The distilling and aging is in Brunswick. It’s a really cool building in downtown.

May have started as a smaller operation in Richland? I don’t know. But it’s a definite farm to bottle operation that starts in Richland.