One year ago today, we were set free....

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
No, it is not like that. It is like focusing your attention and energy on your ex every time someone tries to discuss your current girlfriend.

Also, Key was not asked about TFG.

This comparison literally makes no sense. One’s anniversary of breaking up with a girlfriend rarely lands on the same day as the anniversary of their new relationship.

And yes, he was specifically asked about the anniversary just like this topic is about.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Mostly throughout GT’s history we’ve mostly had good men running our programs. The results may not have been good and we can argue about Pepper and Chan and Paul and Bud and Bill and George and Bobby, but the boys played smart and hard and in a manner distinguishing themselves as GT Men. That’s who were are (or were).

There was much angst about the program and much like other programs nationwide the inability not just to do good, but to win it all. Our system was not going to get us there. Perhaps no system ever will again in the current format.

Hence we ushered in “that regime”. Hate to say it but looking back it was pretty repulsive and folks were either blindly naive or skeptical and stayed mostly silent as the expected train wreck occurred, just didn’t know when. We had hoped that somehow a miracle would occur and we’d somehow be saved, but we doubled down on them and imploded in historic fashion.

Not on the same scale obviously but when history occurs like it did- Great Depression, WWIi, Vietnam War, 9-11, etc people will discuss it for a very long time, decades in fact.

GT is coming out of a mini one of those, our own relatively insignificant version. Many of us cut our teeth during Nam or shortly thereafter. We’re not in 1963 or 1968 or 1973 or 1979. We’re kinda in 1982 where we don’t know where this Key-Batt-Cabrera team is going to take us.

It’s gonna be brought up. Damn near every thread people will either say it, imply it with sly words, make oblique references to it, but it will be there. Gonna take decades to get over the small number of powerful people and directly the 3 people ultimately responsible for the worst period of GT football ever in our history. We didn’t just lose, we became a laughingstock and a joke of a program and that’s hard to let go when you been around The Flats so long.

IIWII.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The more I think about it, this thread serves a couple of important functions besides just being cathartic for getting over the worst period in the history of Ga Tech football.

First, talking about the past is the very definition of sports talk. Historic games, blown calls, magnificent victories, and comparing stats and performances is the stock and trade of what fans do. Several excellent films have been made about this phenomenon but perhaps one of my favorites is “Buffalo ‘66.” Why is this important for fans? It’s how fans bond to each other and to a program. Without these shared memories and discussions a program atrophies. Spend any time at all with uga fans as they rehash games and coaches endlessly and you will understand why their culture is so strong.

Second, reflecting on the disaster of the previous coaching experience can provide a healthy perspective on where we are now. Anyone who doesn’t cut CBK a lot of slack right now isn’t paying attention. Anyone who thinks that it’s simple to turn around a program that had gone this far in the dumpster hasn’t learned the lessons of the previous regime and is going to be susceptible all over again to the next slick talking con man who promises an “elite” program. We better not skim over this lesson.

What sets the previous coach apart from any other coach in Tech history is not just the incompetence and ineptitude, it is that it happened at a time when the Institute was having serious questions about whether football should even be a thing at Tech anymore. It happened when Tech was wondering if we could ever compete again. It happened when social media, in relation to sports PR, is perhaps at its most toxic level, where reputations can be destroyed for a generation. Had this coaching tenure happened in any other decade it would not have had near the destructive level on this program.

We better never forget what the last regime did. Going forward we need to be far more realistic about how long it takes to build a solid foundation at a school like Tech. We all want to see Key turn this around sooner rather than later but if we don’t “give an extra year of support” for every 3 win season in the previous regime we are still very unserious about what it’s going to take here.

Had not thought much at all about the previous guy of late until this thread brought it back up. Now I think there is a valuable lesson in this. We BETTER NOT try to move on too quickly or we will have learned nothing.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
I appreciate both sentiments - the ability to process and learn from the past as well as the desire to move forward without dwelling on what can no longer be changed.

I will say, though, that as we get ready for toe to meet leather at 3:30 today I’m thankful we no longer employ a head coach who regularly refers to the kickoff as the ‘tip’ as if we were preparing to play a basketball game - just another among the myriad of indicators that he was an imposter.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You’re literally the one who started all of this lol. You’re absolutely the one worked up.
LOL! Whatever you need to tell yourself. I actually don't give a crap about you or anyone else on this site, so please feel free to continue to obsess about Collins. Oh, no, I said his name. Ahhhhhhhh!

Also, i literally did not start this because i literally did not start a thread complaining that fonts are obsessed about TFG.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The more I think about it, this thread serves a couple of important functions besides just being cathartic for getting over the worst period in the history of Ga Tech football.

First, talking about the past is the very definition of sports talk. Historic games, blown calls, magnificent victories, and comparing stats and performances is the stock and trade of what fans do. Several excellent films have been made about this phenomenon but perhaps one of my favorites is “Buffalo ‘66.” Why is this important for fans? It’s how fans bond to each other and to a program. Without these shared memories and discussions a program atrophies. Spend any time at all with uga fans as they rehash games and coaches endlessly and you will understand why their culture is so strong.

Second, reflecting on the disaster of the previous coaching experience can provide a healthy perspective on where we are now. Anyone who doesn’t cut CBK a lot of slack right now isn’t paying attention. Anyone who thinks that it’s simple to turn around a program that had gone this far in the dumpster hasn’t learned the lessons of the previous regime and is going to be susceptible all over again to the next slick talking con man who promises an “elite” program. We better not skim over this lesson.

What sets the previous coach apart from any other coach in Tech history is not just the incompetence and ineptitude, it is that it happened at a time when the Institute was having serious questions about whether football should even be a thing at Tech anymore. It happened when Tech was wondering if we could ever compete again. It happened when social media, in relation to sports PR, is perhaps at its most toxic level, where reputations can be destroyed for a generation. Had this coaching tenure happened in any other decade it would not have had near the destructive level on this program.

We better never forget what the last regime did. Going forward we need to be far more realistic about how long it takes to build a solid foundation at a school like Tech. We all want to see Key turn this around sooner rather than later but if we don’t “give an extra year of support” for every 3 win season in the previous regime we are still very unserious about what it’s going to take here.

Had not thought much at all about the previous guy of late until this thread brought it back up. Now I think there is a valuable lesson in this. We BETTER NOT try to move on too quickly or we will have learned nothing.
As someone who was in a toxic relationship and escaped, constantly obsessing about it and talking about how bad they were is not cathartic. It is unhealthy. Best to just move on, act like they never existed, and fix the things in yourself that attracted you to someone so unhealthy.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As someone who was in a toxic relationship and escaped, constantly obsessing about it and talking about how bad they were is not cathartic. It is unhealthy. Best to just move on, act like they never existed, and fix the things in yourself that attracted you to someone so unhealthy.
That’s your truth and you should live it.
I don’t begrudge your very genuine feelings at all.

But don’t discount those who have to spend a few years in therapy before they can “get over it.” Part of getting over it, for some people, is to thoroughly examine what happened and what went wrong so that you actually learn from the experience. Then you can move on. Some people “can’t move on” until they’ve done the work.

This conversation about a former coach is not as serious as the trauma you experienced but, by analogy, this is the talk therapy part.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
LOL! Whatever you need to tell yourself. I actually don't give a crap about you or anyone else on this site, so please feel free to continue to obsess about Collins. Oh, no, I said his name. Ahhhhhhhh!

Also, i literally did not start this because i literally did not start a thread complaining that fonts are obsessed about TFG.

You didn’t give me time to get my popcorn before this meltdown lol

You could have just not posted in this thread. You started it, slick.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
and now we are still the exact same we just have a good qb
You might really be the worst fan ever. I couldn’t pick any specific thread so I just chose this one. You, @JacketFan137 choose to sabotage every thread with your negativity. It’s like you are hoping we lose every game just so you can wallow in your own filth and pity. You, sir, are the worst. I’m tired of reading your garbage posts and you are now on my ignore list. Congrats, I’d love to hear your rebuttal but actually I wouldn’t.

JacketFan137

Banned
You might really be the worst fan ever. I couldn’t pick any specific thread so I just chose this one. You, @JacketFan137 choose to sabotage every thread with your negativity. It’s like you are hoping we lose every game just so you can wallow in your own filth and pity. You, sir, are the worst. I’m tired of reading your garbage posts and you are now on my ignore list. Congrats, I’d love to hear your rebuttal but actually I wouldn’t.
haven’t missed a game in 9 years but i’m glad i’m somehow the worst fan ever because i am demanding more from this coaching staff. i want key to be the guy but it’s hard to see it that way when we are doing exactly what we did with collins

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
haven’t missed a game in 9 years but i’m glad i’m somehow the worst fan ever because i am demanding more from this coaching staff. i want key to be the guy but it’s hard to see it that way when we are doing exactly what we did with collins
No, we are not doing exactly what we did with Collins and you know it. How can you be so dishonest.

Exactly the same would be:

Telling the press all week that we are getting better. Telling the press how all our athletes are training for the pros. Telling the press that we are having great practices. Watching our players lift weights on the sidelines while we are losing. Watching our players dancing and celebrating on the sidelines while we are losing in the fourth quarter. Telling the press that we are an elite program that just got beat by an elite team. Refusing to say anything negative about the team or coaching staff because you love them. Refusing to discuss where the breakdowns were in areas of the game because “the players are hurting.”

To say this is the same is so disingenuous it smacks of an agenda. Collins will accept blame for this loss and he will not sugarcoat it. His players will know he is not happy with him. He will take action. We never saw that with Collins.

JacketFan137

Banned
Exactly the same would be:

Telling the press all week that we are getting better. Telling the press how all our athletes are training for the pros. Telling the press that we are having great practices. Watching our players lift weights on the sidelines while we are losing. Watching our players dancing and celebrating on the sidelines while we are losing in the fourth quarter. Telling the press that we are an elite program that just got beat by an elite team. Refusing to say anything negative about the team or coaching staff because you love them. Refusing to discuss where the breakdowns were in areas of the game because “the players are hurting.”
most of this stuff is just about you thinking what collins did was lame and goofy. the bottom line is the actual important stuff, the on field product, right now is eerily similar. we are not better on special teams. we are not better at the line of scrimmage, we are not tackling well, we are not managing the clock and timeouts well. we even did the patented show some signs of improvement vs wake then completely **** the bed in an easy game the following week

maybe some of this won’t change until we just process out guys who’s development got ****ed by collins being a moron, but as of now the actual on field product is similar and defending it and making excuses is basically coming down to liking key more as a person

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Very sorry to bump this thread, but wasn't sure where to put this.

I'd have to assume that his reputation took a huge hit after his stay in Atlanta. Usually, a good assistant coach who gets fired from his first head coaching gig with get some type of job the next year. He's now been out of work for over a year with nothing beyond some rumors at Nebraska with Rhule and Sims. Not even a stay at the Saban Home for Wayward Coaches. Hope he invests wisely.