One year ago today, we were set free....

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I
If only they made that decision at the end of the 2021 season.
i think it was the money he was still owed. That came down to giving the previous coach a 7 year contract. Whether Key works out or not, he clearly sees this as his big chance. Turning over the majority of his staff certainly seems like he has a definitive plan

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There’s one specific active poster in here, jacketman17 or something like that, who’s convinced there’s a non-insignificant number of posters here who aren’t holding Key accountable. It’s such an odd, random, yet persistent stance I had to block the poster. Which is disappointing because his posts were usually well thought out, even if I disagreed with them. The attempt to label posters as pro-CPJ, anti-CPJ, pro-Key, anti-Key, is just off-putting and leaves little room for honest and nuanced discussion/debate.
I am pro Georgia Tech and whoever is wearing white and gold and whoever is coaching the "Brave and Bold".

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I

i think it was the money he was still owed. That came down to giving the previous coach a 7 year contract. Whether Key works out or not, he clearly sees this as his big chance. Turning over the majority of his staff certainly seems like he has a definitive plan
He definitely bet on himself. High reward potential plus being a legend at your alma mater.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He definitely bet on himself. High reward potential plus being a legend at your alma mater.
"...being a legend at your alma mater." That is a tremendous lure for some coaches, not so much for others but the results have been a mixed bag. It did not work out for Pepper or Bill Fulcher but Bill Curry did better than many will acknowledge considering the wreckage he inherited. Maybe this fourth turning will be the charm for both Coach Key and Georgia Tech football. Other noteworthy coaches who responded to the clarion call from their alma mater were Bear Bryant at Alabama (Mama called he famously said), Phil Fulcher at Tennessee, Steve Spurrier at Florida, Johnny Majors at Tennessee,, George Welch at Navy, among many others.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Two cautionary tales: Mike McGhee was an All ACC lineman for Duke in the early 1960s and played on a team that won the only Cotton Bowl in the program's history. As coach in the early 1970s his tenure was a disaster contributing to Duke not going to a bowl nearly three decades after he went as a player. Scott Frost was an All American quarterback on a national championship team at Nebraska and was a successful coach at UCF. Wildly hailed as the "golden boy" to return Nebraska to greatness, his tenure was a monumental failure whose repercussions reverberate in a program that has become a symbol of a football factory in tatters. IIWII

Last edited:

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Dude, let him go. Not sure why so many fonts continue to harp on TFG. He is gone and good riddance.

It’s the one year anniversary of Key taking over. It’s perfectly reasonable to talk about it and you can’t talk about it without mentioning the guy he replaced. Key was even asked about it today at the presser. It’s not weird.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
"...being a legend at your alma mater." That is a tremendous lure for some coaches, not so much for others but the results have been a mixed bag. It did not work out for Pepper or Bill Fulcher but Bill Curry did better than many will acknowledge considering the wreckage he inherited. Maybe this fourth turning will be the charm for both Coach Key and Georgia Tech football. Other noteworthy coaches who responded to the clarion call from their alma mater were Bear Bryant at Alabama (Mama called he famously said), Phil Fulcher at Tennessee, Steve Spurrier at Florida, Johnny Majors at Tennessee,, George Welch at Navy, among many others.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Two cautionary tales: Mike McGhee was an All ACC lineman for Duke in the early 1960s and played on a team that won the only Cotton Bowl in the program's history. As coach in the early 1970s his tenure was a disaster contributing to Duke not going to a bowl nearly three decades after he went as a player. Scott Frost was an All American quarterback on a national championship team at Nebraska and was a successful coach at UCF. Wildly hailed as the "golden boy" to return Nebraska to greatness, his tenure was a monumental failure whose repercussions reverberate in a program that has become a symbol of a football factory in tatters. IIWII
I look back on Curry’s time at Tech now and don’t feel like it was all that successful. He was solid but unspectacular and I doubt he could have put together back to back winning seasons.

Fulcher, on the other hand, was trying to turn around an absolute disaster of a program and did a remarkable job.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I look back on Curry’s time at Tech now and don’t feel like it was all that successful. He was solid but unspectacular and I doubt he could have put together back to back winning seasons.

Fulcher, on the other hand, was trying to turn around an absolute disaster of a program and did a remarkable job.
Fulcher was loved by his players but was going through a nasty divorce and according to Dodd had lost his "fire" and wanted out after the first year. Dodd told him he could not find another head coach that late in the year and begged him to stay another year. Fulcher guided Tech to a Liberty Bowl win over a favored Iowa State team. A good man caught in bad circumstances. As for Curry, he may have been the only man that Dodd could get to take the job. Tech had the worst facilities in division one football by far and recruiting had fallen off the map. A Georgia coach looking over Tech's players after the Curry's first year opined there was at best one or two players that could make UGA's first or second team. It was that bad.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s the one year anniversary of Key taking over. It’s perfectly reasonable to talk about it and you can’t talk about it without mentioning the guy he replaced. Key was even asked about it today at the presser. It’s not weird.
You are speaking as if this was an isolated on this site. There are numerous fonts who cannot seem to move on

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
You are speaking as if this was an isolated on this site. There are numerous fonts who cannot seem to move on

Regardless, bringing him up in this particular topic makes sense. This would be like complaining that people talk about a celebrity too much and then that celebrity dies and you’re frustrated they are being talked about the day they die. Even if something/someone is discussed too much, that doesn’t negate talking about it/them when it’s actually appropriate. Again, Key was even asked this at the presser. It’s seems perfectly appropriate to discuss it.

JacketFan137

Banned
There’s one specific active poster in here, jacketman17 or something like that, who’s convinced there’s a non-insignificant number of posters here who aren’t holding Key accountable. It’s such an odd, random, yet persistent stance I had to block the poster. Which is disappointing because his posts were usually well thought out, even if I disagreed with them. The attempt to label posters as pro-CPJ, anti-CPJ, pro-Key, anti-Key, is just off-putting and leaves little room for honest and nuanced discussion/debate.
i’m glad i have some fans.

i still have some questions about key and everyone should as we have made some fundamental mistakes in big moments and still have some carry over from mistakes made under the previous regime. why special teams is still an issue is honestly baffling and i don’t really have any patience for key continuing to make that mistake.

i am happy with key and the entire time i only wanted (the coach we aren’t allowed to discuss anymore) or key and i thought any other suggestions were pretty silly. i’m hoping key gets it right because that ultimately benefits us all.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Fulcher was loved by his players but was going through a nasty divorce and according to Dodd had lost his "fire" and wanted out after the first year. Dodd told him he could not find another head coach that late in the year and begged him to stay another year. Fulcher guided Tech to a Liberty Bowl win over a favored Iowa State team. A good man caught in bad circumstances. As for Curry, he may have been the only man that Dodd could get to take the job. Tech had the worst facilities in division one football by far and recruiting had fallen off the map. A Georgia coach looking over Tech's players after the Curry's first year opined there was at best one or two players that could make UGA's first or second team. It was that bad.
Nice info.
Was in Texas doing life and no info.
Seems like Dodd was so good at on field adjustments he wasn't giving attention to what others were doing off field.

Wish he had put foot downto get the then large fan base to fund facilities and recruiting. That treñd has continued till our New Prez.
Had we stayed in SEC, imo , with our solid fan base we would have changed way sooner.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Regardless, bringing him up in this particular topic makes sense. This would be like complaining that people talk about a celebrity too much and then that celebrity dies and you’re frustrated they are being talked about the day they die. Even if something/someone is discussed too much, that doesn’t negate talking about it/them when it’s actually appropriate. Again, Key was even asked this at the presser. It’s seems perfectly appropriate to discuss it.
“Just move on” seems like such a weird response. If I commented on every topic I was not interested in with “just move on” I would be commenting “just move on” constantly. Instead, I just don’t comment if it’s a topic or comment that doesn’t float my boat. I guess you could say I just “move on” from the comment.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
“Just move on” seems like such a weird response. If I commented on every topic I was not interested in with “just move on” I would be commenting “just move on” constantly. Instead, I just don’t comment if it’s a topic or comment that doesn’t float my boat. I guess you could say I just “move on” from the comment.
Who says discussing Key"s one year anniversary is not a topic on which I do not wish to comment or one that does not interest me? I just do not think every conversation on Key needs to rehash how bad TFG was. It is like some of you left a toxic relationship and now are in a healthy one, but all you want to talk about is how bad your old relationship was.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
No, it is not like that. It is like focusing your attention and energy on your ex every time someone tries to discuss your current girlfriend.

Also, Key was not asked about TFG.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Who says discussing Key"s one year anniversary is not a topic on which I do not wish to comment or one that does not interest me? I just do not think every conversation on Key needs to rehash how bad TFG was. It is like some of you left a toxic relationship and now are in a healthy one, but all you want to talk about is how bad your old relationship was.
Seems like you are taking way too seriously something other people are just having fun with. Sorry it got you so worked up.