One year ago today, we were set free....

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Hate for anyone to lose their job, but possibly no better case to be made for those two to be fired......ever in the history of college sports.

"I've got my man." Stansbury will go to his grave regretting that statement. Got played by a con artist unfortunately. And his dream job at his alma mater went away with the con artist.

Very happy with Key and Batt right now. Feels like we're moving in the right direction on the field and in the AD's office. :gt::buzz:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I somehow see a positive out of the previous mess. Fortunately (sp ?) the previous experiment WAS so bad it caught the attention of the top guy. Don't think this would have happened if we had replaced TFG with another competent coach in the Gailey/Johnson mould who kept us comfortably in the 6-8 win category. For the first time in ????? many years, the current top guy appears to have some skin in the game. That might be the most significant change in the last 30+ years of GT and may possibly be a direct outcome of how bad the TS/CGC experiment was. But I could be (and am oftentimes) wrong.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
6-6 since this day to present. 60% of the wins in just under a 3rd of the time....but yeah keep saying there's no improvement and Key was a poor choice.
Are people saying Key was a poor choice/not an improvement over Geoff? I know there were some people who thought we were settling or cheaping out right when the hire was announced, but haven't really seen anything negative about Key beyond that.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Hate for anyone to lose their job, but possibly no better case to be made for those two to be fired......ever in the history of college sports.

"I've got my man." Stansbury will go to his grave regretting that statement. Got played by a con artist unfortunately. And his dream job at his alma mater went away with the con artist.

Very happy with Key and Batt right now. Feels like we're moving in the right direction on the field and in the AD's office. :gt::buzz:
If you would like to fire me for my current job and pay me say half or what the former guy got, had settle for 5.5 million dollars even if spread out over 5 or 10 years!
So, I don't feel too bad for him.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Looks that way. Unfortunately, I was one of those who bought into the hype that Geoff brought with him but I am a fan prone to such things. Stanbury should have known better, after all, it is his job. Will this team of AD Batt and Coach Key prove to be a winning one for Tech much as Homer Rice era proved to be? Remains to be seen but the improvement is obvious to my untrained eye with still a long way to go especially in recruiting linemen and building depth in all areas except maybe in smallish wide receivers God knows we have an abundance of them.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I somehow see a positive out of the previous mess. Fortunately (sp ?) the previous experiment WAS so bad it caught the attention of the top guy. Don't think this would have happened if we had replaced TFG with another competent coach in the Gailey/Johnson mould who kept us comfortably in the 6-8 win category. For the first time in ????? many years, the current top guy appears to have some skin in the game. That might be the most significant change in the last 30+ years of GT and may possibly be a direct outcome of how bad the TS/CGC experiment was. But I could be (and am oftentimes) wrong.
"But, I could be (and oftentimes wrong)" I got that beat. According to my wife my being wrong is damn near 90% but she confesses to making allowances for my being a church elder so there are brief shining moments when I am right on ecclesiastical matters.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Are people saying Key was a poor choice/not an improvement over Geoff? I know there were some people who thought we were settling or cheaping out right when the hire was announced, but haven't really seen anything negative about Key beyond that.
There’s one specific active poster in here, jacketman17 or something like that, who’s convinced there’s a non-insignificant number of posters here who aren’t holding Key accountable. It’s such an odd, random, yet persistent stance I had to block the poster. Which is disappointing because his posts were usually well thought out, even if I disagreed with them. The attempt to label posters as pro-CPJ, anti-CPJ, pro-Key, anti-Key, is just off-putting and leaves little room for honest and nuanced discussion/debate.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
1695812239653.png

This move to fire those two will be a defining moment in GT history. It caused the school to make a decision about athletics and led to more active involvement from the admin.

Years later, it will be the "fork in the road" moment for GT athletics and we're watching it play out in real time.

For me, it's not about TFG. It's about the GT community deciding that athletics SHOULD be excellent and committing to making that happen.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Looks that way. Unfortunately, I was one of those who bought into the hype that Geoff brought with him but I am a fan prone to such things. Stanbury should have known better, after all, it is his job. Will this team of AD Batt and Coach Key prove to be a winning one for Tech much as Homer Rice era proved to be? Remains to be seen but the improvement is obvious to my untrained eye with still a long way to go especially in recruiting linemen and building depth in all areas except maybe in smallish wide receivers God knows we have an abundance of them.

In your defense, I think a lot of GT fans just wanted to just support GT. "Buying" into the Collins hype was just fans trying to be positive about Collins and GT. He was trash as a coach, but he did raise awareness for GT. For a time, he did have national media talking about GT. The problem is, the way he did it was a double edge sword. If he didn't win (and he didn't) the way he promoted GT turned us into a joke, and also alienated some GT fans.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how well you market something, if you don't have the substance to back it up, it all crumbles into a heaping pile.

Let's move on and enjoy what Key is building. Let's not forget, Key is still reckoning with cleanup as well as trying to build a team. I like where Key has this team, and I like the foundation that's being built. Mea culpa here, but I was not a big fan of Key when Collins brought him back to GT due to some recruiting rumors when Key left GT decades ago. However, I think Key had a job to do, and he had to separate his personal feelings for GT with his professional responsibilities for his employer. I advocated for Key as a candidate due to what he was able to do with the rubble Collins left behind. I had other candidates ahead of Key, but I felt Key would do well for us if he was the ultimate hire. We are fun to watch again...and that's something I haven't felt in a long time.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Right there with you. Though in my own defense I will say that when a decision is made about something over which I have zero control my inclination is to try and see how it can be successful. That doesn't mean I always believe it will be successful but I do try and see the path to success. Anyway just wanted to stand in solidarity with you that you weren't the only fan who felt our previous coach could have been successful.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 14792

This move to fire those two will be a defining moment in GT history. It caused the school to make a decision about athletics and led to more active involvement from the admin.

Years later, it will be the "fork in the road" moment for GT athletics and we're watching it play out in real time.

For me, it's not about TFG. It's about the GT community deciding that athletics SHOULD be excellent and committing to making that happen.
There’s often a lost of good posts on here, this is in the top group. Truly a “fork in the road” moment! Well done, sir!

Secret_AznMan

Georgia Tech Fan
View attachment 14792

If only they made that decision at the end of the 2021 season.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Must bump your post.

The second to last sentence is correct.

All Red and 100-0 was a defining moment that was needed.

Now we will find is it too late to awaken the alumni and the atlanta area sidewalk fans. Angel and Batt are our future.