one guy?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Laskey.

I picked him because:
a. If we had redshirted him he'd be playing for us now.
b. He is the fastest BB to the mesh we've ever had and that takes advantage of quick-closing holes.
c. He is a great blocker and a good pass receiver.

Other picks are also defensible; I was hard pressed to pick Zach over Shaq or Smelter. But I think our biggest problem this year on O has been the lack of a BB who can "enforce" 4 - 6 ypc on the dive. With the talent we have now and only one choice of a player, I go with Zach since I think that even with our present OL he would be the BB we need. (Why not Days? Too slow to the mesh, hence vulnerable to blitzes.)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Smelter. I estimate 3rd down conversion would be up 10% with him and the perimeter blocking would be improved tremendously
With Shaq our our 3 and longs turn into 3rd and shorts. Then with Shaq our 3rd and shorts turn into 3rd and Shaq.

Either guy would be a huge asset. Imagine if we had both.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
With Shaq our our 3 and longs turn into 3rd and shorts. Then with Shaq our 3rd and shorts turn into 3rd and Shaq.

Either guy would be a huge asset. Imagine if we had both.

Do you think it is by coincidence that that our 3 best seasons was partly due that we had a reliable physical WR on the edge? Not say Shaq isn't sorely missed, but he was also part of teams that currently look like the present one

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you think it is by coincidence that that our 3 best seasons was partly due that we had a reliable physical WR on the edge? Not say Shaq isn't sorely missed, but he was also part of teams that currently look like the present one
All I know is there are times when Ricky Juene has clean shot on a crack back block, and he makes the block. Smelter, with the same opportunity, made the block and almost knocked the player unconscious. That has to open up other plays.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree, Smelter. Nobody could cover him one on one. That changes the whole equation. He wasn't "stretch the field" fast, but he could separate from anybody coming out of breaks. He won contested balls and he CAME BACK for the football. His blocking was as good as anybody including BeyBey. I guess the biggest difference was he kept working when plays broke down.

I really don't know what is going on with the OL without Shaq. Was his leadership missed THAT MUCH? It almost defies logic. Yes Shaq was great on his own. Did he elevate others? Was he the catalyst? Was he the brains? I just don't know.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Smelter or....Shawn Greene. Would have been nice having him all season long, let alone where we are at DT today. Put Gamble back at SDE and who knows.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Smelter. We win ACC championship last year with him and much of our trouble on offense this year goes away. He opens up the field. Without his season ending injury, I think he would have gone surprisingly early in the draft.

Initially, I thought Shaq because of our troubles on the O line but, with the way defenses are killing us without a big play threat, not sure he would have as much of an impact as we'd like to think.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Smelter - per game
First down - 2each 20-30 yd passes per game,
Second down - 3 each 10-20 each sideline back shoulder grabs
3rd down and shortbread-- 1 each key blockey block when he crushes safety for jet to get big gain to break back of defense.

2 bailouts of jet per game.

Per one coach I meet at norte dame, "smelter bailed us out a lot last year"

But any time if he is not feeling good - hell yes get Shaq asap

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
All I could think of was Shaq till I thought of all the a-back injuries we have had. If the a-back injuries are a given, maybe having another experienced a-back like Perkins would be more valuable.
It's a shame Perkins couldn't stay healthier here. He was a real stud coming out of HS. Finally brought what I thought he could to the team senior year.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Isaiah Johnson really came on the second half of last year and was a thumper that is missing this year at safety (run support force causing turnovers)...

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Isaiah Johnson. Sit Golden and Play Johnson and Gray side by side. Isaiah is our All Time leader in tackles played a bigger role than most of you think.

You think Isaiah Johnson over Jamal Golden is a significant enough difference to change the outcome of our season? I don't think Johnson over Golden would give us 2 or 3 more wins, especially compared to some of the other players we lost. Plus, we don't beat FSU without Golden.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Smelter made a living coming back to the ball to bail out JT. I don't know if that was instinct or what, because we rarely have anyone coming back toward the LOS when passing plays break down.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
You think Isaiah Johnson over Jamal Golden is a significant enough difference to change the outcome of our season? I don't think Johnson over Golden would give us 2 or 3 more wins, especially compared to some of the other players we lost. Plus, we don't beat FSU without Golden.
Golden is slow. Period one good game against FSU doesn't change that.