On too... Syracuse at GT, Saturday

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest, I think we attacked the zone well enough to win. Was it executed consistently? No. We could have done better. Lammers and White were available on the alley-oop lob more times than we tried it. We left a few post entries on the table, but it wasn't the difference to me. 3 of our 4 big guys took the most shots (Jacobs - 15, Lammers - 8, Mitchell - 6) with Smith at 14.

I think we wasted minutes with a few players on the floor who were destined to have more trouble today than others (e.g., Heath instead of Q). Our guys settled too soon in the shot clock in the first half i.e., the strategy seemed to be in place after we went inside relentlessly during the first 8 minutes, but we failed to get it done as much the remainder of the first half. Mitchell and Lammers took 2 mid-range jumpshotturnovers.. hard to tell who is at fault but I tend to not blame the players this far into the year.

Ultimately we got thru Coleman with enough time to make a difference and almost got thru Roberson. Maybe a little too late, but it was there for the taking. In the end BG thought too much. As soon as Syracuse had to go small with Coleman out of the game, BG went small. He said in the presser he thought we were better with Coleman in the game due to match-ups... like, huh? Boeheim clearly liked Coleman in the game for match-up reasons because we were playing big. That comment confuses me more than anything. Coaches are overthinking things and getting in our own way. Without a purpose or identity, we get what we're getting.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, I think we attacked the zone well enough to win. Was it executed consistently? No. We could have done better. Lammers and White were available on the alley-oop lob more times than we tried it. We left a few post entries on the table, but it wasn't the difference to me. 3 of our 4 big guys took the most shots (Jacobs - 15, Lammers - 8, Mitchell - 6) with Smith at 14.

Too bad none of those 4 are anywhere near our best player who was regulated to 5 shots all from behind the arc. But sure. We attacked the zone fine and we're wondering why we ended up with 57 points.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Just an awful loss. This one was ours for the taking and we just handed it over.

Well maybe we only have 1 more season of this. We can look forward to that hopefully.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.........****ing Harvard is out recruiting us. HARVARD

Why come to GT out of HS and be eclipsed by 1 and done transfers? Plus why come with the coaching record?

Does Harvard have a lot of one & dones (transfer type not HS type)?

19 days and 23 hours to first pitch. I couldn't watch much of the game, I knew the likely ending.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Too bad none of those 4 are anywhere near our best player who was regulated to 5 shots all from behind the arc. But sure. We attacked the zone fine and we're wondering why we ended up with 57 points.
Maybe our best player was intentionally taken away by Syracuse? By virtue of his presence we stretched the zone and had better passing lanes to our bigs inside.

My interpretation of your post is a hindsight, 20/20 type of deal. How would you have improved MGH's attempts and what lineup would you have had in the game to do it?

If we're just taking a simplistic box score view, you overlooked or ignored MGH's four free throws which were not off of three point attempts.

You're welcome to participate in the pregame and in-game discussions as well. Not necessary obviously, but it would at least give me confidence and the ability to know where you're coming from.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I didn't watch the end, but listened from the car. It sounded like we didn't even get a shot off on two of those last few possessions...and I think one might have been after a timeout, but I could be wrong.

I think it's all over but he crying at this point. What a disappointing season. It's very similar to the football season in how much of a letdown it's been...maybe not quite as much as he football team, but similar on a smaller scale.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Why come to GT out of HS and be eclipsed by 1 and done transfers? Plus why come with the coaching record?

Does Harvard have a lot of one & dones (transfer type not HS type)?

19 days and 23 hours to first pitch. I couldn't watch much of the game, I knew the likely ending.

I agree. 100%

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Maybe our best player was intentionally taken away by Syracuse? By virtue of his presence we stretched the zone and had better passing lanes to our bigs inside.

My interpretation of your post is a hindsight, 20/20 type of deal. How would you have improved MGH's attempts and what lineup would you have had in the game to do it?

If we're just taking a simplistic box score view, you overlooked or ignored MGH's four free throws which were not off of three point attempts.

Or maybe we had no idea how to attack the zone when the lob wasn't there. Nah, that couldn't have been. It's not like we had numerous possessions of just lazily tossing the ball around the perimeter before settling for a low percentage shot. Our post players shot just 43.75% so it's not like the "better passing lanes" to our bigs inside were resulting in a ton of high percentage shots.

Also, you think it's only in hindsight that I think Hunt getting only 5 shots all 3s is a bad offensive strategy? Really? Come on. How could anyone have been watching that game and not been wondering where Hunt was? What should we have done? How about have Hunt work the high post and attack from there? Or have him drive off the dribble splitting the guards? Especially off quick ball reversal.

2 of his FTAs came off an intended foul with 10 seconds left in the game when cuse was up 3. It wasn't a result of him getting a two point shot and getting fouled from it. So I missed one whole shot attempt where he got fouled. How does that change the point?

I think it's all over but he crying at this point. What a disappointing season. It's very similar to the football season in how much of a letdown it's been...maybe not quite as much as he football team, but similar on a smaller scale.

How could anyone be disappointed? There was no reason to expect anything different than we've seen before. The football team followed up an Orange bowl season with a 3-9 season. This team is coming off a year where we went 3-15 in conference. The two aren't in the same realm of disappointing. The only thing that was disappointing about this season was that gregory was still here for it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I will not assume when or how much you watched. But in all honesty, we attacked that zone pretty well most of the time.

Personnel was once again the issue.

At the risk of breaking my own rules, Josh Heath would rarely see the floor if I am running this team but, whatever. I thought we looked better against this zone today than that of days gone by.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
By watching the game, I deducted that we attacked the zone well.

We screened the zone. We posted the zone well. We did not move the ball around the perimeter with intent the way I'd like but compared to how we played the 2-3 in the past, It was fair to midland. Which for BG is exceptional.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We posted well? Are you talking strictly low post because we certainly didn't utilize the high post well enough, because when we tried we put somebody there who didn't have the skills needed to do what we needed them to do from there. We also rarely looked to split the defenders off the dribble to get someone into the high post that could get something out of it. We also constantly also did the exact thing you don't do against the zone and just pass it around the perimeter with no purpose until the shot clock forced a bad shot.

We attacked the zone well on a handful of plays. But more often than not we didn't. And only attacking the zone well on a couple of plays means you didn't attack the zone well.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
you may notice I did we did not move the ball well against the zone on the perimeter.

You can't have it all. This is GT we play in the best BB conference in the country while paying a-10 salaries

Had to record it and just finished viewing it. Looked to me like we played a decent game but seemed to blow it at the end with some really sloppy ball-handling. Didn't we turn it over or at least bobble the ball and slow ourselves down at least 4 times in the last couple of minutes? Still a fun game to watch. At least it didn't totally tick me off like most have.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Had to record it and just finished viewing it. Looked to me like we played a decent game but seemed to blow it at the end with some really sloppy ball-handling. Didn't we turn it over or at least bobble the ball and slow ourselves down at least 4 times in the last couple of minutes? Still a fun game to watch. At least it didn't totally tick me off like most have.

Finishing the half. End of the first Lydon nails a couple deep 3s. End of the 2nd we do our typical thing

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
How could anyone be disappointed? There was no reason to expect anything different than we've seen before. The football team followed up an Orange bowl season with a 3-9 season. This team is coming off a year where we went 3-15 in conference. The two aren't in the same realm of disappointing. The only thing that was disappointing about this season was that gregory was still here for it.

I'm not at all saying it's the same as the football team. Smaller scale for sure and it's not even close. But there is enough talent on this team that we had a real shot at making the NCAA. It's the most prolific offensive team we've had in quite a while and they can hang with anyone until the last few minutes...the problem is that that's when the wheels come off.

I made the mistake of believing that even as bad a coach as I think he is couldn't trump the talent we put on the court, but man I was wrong. That's why I'm disappointed. You're right in the regard that there's no reason to e levy anything different while BG is here, but unfortunately I made that mistake after watching us play in December. So I'm disappointed.