On too... Syracuse at GT, Saturday

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
This game last year was one of the worst basketball games that I have ever watched. Both teams were just flat out terrible. I expect to see a much better display tomorrow.

The question in my mind is will Tech be able to run the floor and get some easy buckets?

/

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This game last year was one of the worst basketball games that I have ever watched. Both teams were just flat out terrible. I expect to see a much better display tomorrow.

The question in my mind is will Tech be able to run the floor and get some easy buckets?

/

That always helps get Marcus going.

Edit: Just watched the media clip, BG mentioned that 'Cuse hadn't given up a transition basket in the last three games. I'm not sure if was being serious or TIC, but that will be huge. It has been a big reason we have hit the 80's and 90's many times this year.

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Summary:
  • On O, turn and attack from the high post, even if it's one dribble toward the basket. We will win inside and create a war of attrition that Syracuse cannot counteract.
  • On O, keep our shooters in the game i.e., no wasted minutes
  • On D, extend the defense with heels on the 3-point line. Plug our noses and hope Syracuse has an average day attacking our guards.
Provided we play close to the gameplan I outlined our best game today will on average beat Syracuse, barring 'Cuse hitting an absurd percentage from deep. We have the right pieces to get this done, moreso than ND, Duke, and Clemson, the latter of which won in the Dome.

I picked Syracuse by 7, close to the Vegas by 5, due to our inconsistency in rotations and lack of commitment to a plan of attack. The good news is Syracuse will not mix it up on D. In theory that should require less thinking as the game goes on. But in the end, in recent Syracuse has played far closer to their top end on a consistent basis than we have, so I'm taking the Orange.

For what it's worth, I'm going with the gold GT basketball t-shirt underneath my media-neutral gray pullover for today's game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think we match up pretty well from an O perspective. With Adam and a little of Q or MGH at 3pt and with Jacobs and a little of Chuck on the inside we should be be able to score.

However, I'm cautious about our D against a patient and disciplined O. If we slide behind, it may be tough for us to come back.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Recording at home. Doesn't apper that bandwidth on plane is worth spit to be able watch on ESPN3. Will keep an eye on chat room, etc. for updates.

Would be a good win if GT can pull it off today.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Thought we had this one.

I woke up this morning and pulled on my Brian Gregory underwear and thought to myself, "Self" (and i knew i was talking to myself becasue i recognize the sound of my own voice) "Today CBG is going to break that ridiculous stigma that he has worked so hard to build over his short, unfair 4+ year tenure, and is going to show the world you cannot judge a man on the first 13+ years of his coaching career. Its that second 13+ years that matter"

And then GT basketball did the same thing they have done since he arrived.

Lost.

#stretchrun

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Missed the opening statement from Boeheim because I failed recording video. Fwiw, Boeheim said GT is the only team with a worse ACC schedule than Syracuse. This is coming off the heels of Jay Bilas saying the same.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Blaming schedule, blaming players, blaming academics. Blaming everyone and everything but himself. He literally thinks we attacked the zone well and the problem was only missing shots.

Blaming schedule, blaming players, blaming academics. Blaming everyone and everything but himself. He literally thinks we attacked the zone well and the problem was only missing shots.
They did attack the zone good about 7 times the whole game. That's what he really meant. The other times when Adam and Josh or Marcus or whomever you want to choose stood at the top of key and passed the ball back and forth until the shot clock ran out.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

And the fans do the same thing. What do we expect Bilas and Boeheim to say? Geez, Brian is a terrible coach.

Does MSU and Duke and Iowa St and Iowa all play cupcakes? Is the Big 12 and SEC a cake walk? Finals and Christmas and Schedule and academics BLAH BLAH BLAH.

****ing Harvard is out recruiting us. HARVARD