On to Miami

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We can. But there are a number of posters who need to eat some serious crow first.

(Not that I expect many of them to do so - lots of them will crawl back into a miserable spot, waiting for another opportunity to say “I told you so.” But still. Saying “Whoops…I must’ve made my Chicken Little remarks when my head was stuffed into an uncomfortable spot…my bad” is a good way to start exorcising the negativity.) 😉

Either way, onwards and upwards. Go Jackets!
I will always cheer the old gold and white, but let's be careful to call those out who had doubts or became pessimistic after our last loss. We have a demonstrated time and again that we do not handle success very well and completely capable of crapping our pants a few more times thus year. No time for I told you so's until we get some consistent winning behind us.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I will always cheer the old gold and white, but let's be careful to call those out who had doubts or became pessimistic after our last loss. We have a demonstrated time and again that we do not handle success very well and completely capable of crapping our pants a few more times thus year. No time for I told you so's until we get some consistent winning behind us.
You are right, of course, in the larger scheme of things, but wish some fans would not take one loss and turn it into conclusive evidence that a coach needs to go. Especially in the middle of their first season. That was a little much for some of us to take. We knew before the season started that this would be a roller coaster until Key has had time to build consistency into the program. Give him a break on that, cheer for Tech, and hold off on the extreme pessimism for heaven’s sake.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You are right, of course, in the larger scheme of things, but wish some fans would not take one loss and turn it into conclusive evidence that a coach needs to go. Especially in the middle of their first season. That was a little much for some of us to take. We knew before the season started that this would be a roller coaster until Key has had time to build consistency into the program. Give him a break on that, cheer for Tech, and hold off on the extreme pessimism for heaven’s sake.
After Jackson decommitted I was concerned the BG game shook his confidence in our future success. Maybe NIL got to him. However the Miami game should help continue to give confidence that the program is moving forward.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you. Most of the negative folks are quiet right now, but are sure to stick their hands back up when we lose another game in the future. There is no hope in convincing a person against their will. Just better to ignore them.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you. Most of the negative folks are quiet right now, but are sure to stick their hands back up when we lose another game in the future. There is no hope in convincing a person against their will. Just better to ignore them.
I thought Miami would score at least 40 on us. Clearly they did not. I am hopeful the change of Defensive Coordinator really made a big difference. The defense did play with more effort and was far more effective. Will the defense continue to improve or revert back to it's bad ways is the Big Question in my mind. The BC game will be a good indicator. They are not a good team nor are they a bad team. They have a QB capable of having a big day running and throwing. He will test our defense.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I thought Miami would score at least 40 on us. Clearly they did not. I am hopeful the change of Defensive Coordinator really made a big difference. The defense did play with more effort and was far more effective. Will the defense continue to improve or revert back to it's bad ways is the Big Question in my mind. The BC game will be a good indicator. They are not a good team nor are they a bad team. They have a QB capable of having a big day running and throwing. He will test our defense.
Every game on our schedule will be a test for us. We just don’t have the athletes to dominate anyone without a lot of effort.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll (respectfully) agree to disagree with you on this one.

There are indeed those who had doubts and were pessimistic after our last loss. Personally, I think that includes most of the fanbase - myself included. But then there were also those who dug in their heels and argued that one game proved that our head coach was awful, the team was awful, we should do away with the football program, etc, etc.

As you said, we're completely capable of screwing things up again. But those who treat every loss as a "Gotcha! This team sucks!" are the people who really need to check their assumptions, and consider if the data is backing up their overblown claims (especially egregious, if they graduated from GT).

I have no problem with being pessimistic. That's normal - if you have no doubts that we're the best team in the nation, especially after a loss like BG, you're likely not living in reality. But if you have no doubts that we're the worst team in the nation after a loss like BG, you're also not living in reality. Those are the people who should probably check their hyperbolic approach. And I'm fine with calling those out who were 100% certain we were the worst team ever and we should fire our entire staff into the sun.

Last edited:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll (respectfully) agree to disagree with you on this one.

There are indeed those who had doubts and were pessimistic after our last loss. Personally, I think that includes most of the fanbase - myself included. But then there were also those who dug in their heels and argued that one game proved that our head coach was awful, the team was awful, we should do away with the football program, etc, etc.

As you said, we're completely capable of screwing things up again. But those who treat every loss as a "Gotcha! This team sucks!" are the people who really need to check their assumptions, and consider if the data is backing up their overblown claims (especially egregious, if they graduated from GT).

I have no problem with being pessimistic. That's normal - if you have no doubts that we're the best team in the nation, especially after a loss like BG, you're likely not living in reality. But if you have no doubts that we're the worst team in the nation after a loss like BG, you're also not living in reality. Those are the people who should probably check their hyperbolic approach. And I'm fine with calling those out who were 100% certain we were the worst team ever and we should fire our entire staff into the sun.
I do not think we are really in disagreement, other than to say it is better to disregard the trolls than feed them. I would add that I thoroughly enjoy a good mocking when warranted, but it only works when there is no possibility of reciprocation. With our team, we are bound to have a bad loss for the other side to gleefully say, "I told you so" as well.