Oliver Ascends

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are right and it would be a welcome change. But Johnson's offense is so different from today's college offense of the moment, the RPO out of the shotgun, and requires such immediate decisions, even good athletes flounder at QB in it.Running an option is difficult. Running the triple option is a mental exercise requiring physical reactions. As we have seen with Marshall, the time to see "pitch" is real time, not on the film breakdown on Sunday. Physically, maybe we are good But those decisions cascade in this offense and not many QBs can handle it. (I have always thought one of the reasons Johnson has trouble recruiting QBs is that so many look at it and figure it is too challenging. Better to stand seven yards back to decide.
I just feel like last couple of cycles we’ve done a good job recruiting quarterbacks who run the option in high school, be it out of the shotgun, but in reality a run pass option with a slot WR, is not really different than a triple Option with an A and B Back. The reads are almost the same when it comes to give or pull but instead of a pitch it’s a foward pass.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I just feel like last couple of cycles we’ve done a good job recruiting quarterbacks who run the option in high school, be it out of the shotgun, but in reality a run pass option with a slot WR, is not really different than a triple Option with an A and B Back. The reads are almost the same when it comes to give or pull but instead of a pitch it’s a foward pass.

Difference being the reads happens much faster from under center, imo I don't ever see a true freshman coming and playing well enough to be a full time starter. Nothing wrong with that, that RS year gives a QB time to work on the repetitions SO necessary to run this O at its peak. Tech is in very good shape at QB over the next few years. It is my thought that LJ and TO will fight it out to the starter in the '19 season

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Difference being the reads happens much faster from under center, imo I don't ever see a true freshman coming and playing well enough to be a full time starter. Nothing wrong with that, that RS year gives a QB time to work on the repetitions SO necessary to run this O at its peak. Tech is in very good shape at QB over the next few years. It is my thought that LJ and TO will fight it out to the starter in the '19 season

Only true freshmen I can think of that played well for us was Jaybo Shaw.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Yea I think it is Wideout for him!!! Maybe He can get some snaps and not burn a redshirt as 3rd string QB vs Alcorn ST... But if Marshall stays healthy the only way Graham should see the field is as Wideout

With the new rules, he can play in any 4 games without losing his redshirt. Hell, he can go all season up to game 9 (or 10, if we bowl) getting no snaps then start and play the entire final 4 games and still not lose a year. It’s gonna be fun to see those young guys get some PT this year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Whether it be TO or Graham, PJ needs to get someone some significant reps this year. We lose a ton on offense after this season. TaQuon, both A Backs and sone O linemen. I do not want to go into 2019 with a QB or Abacks that haven’t had a lot of live reps in a game.

There is why Paul needs for the DC hire to pay immediate dividends. After 2 losing seasons in the past 3, if we remain in the "we have to score every time we get the ball because they are" mode, developing depth and long term thinking will remain at or near the bottom of CPJ's thinking during the season...BTW, I agree with your thinking, and I am also not saying he is on the hot seat with TS but I think another bad year will be problematic for the program in a number of ways.

slugboy

Staff member
Jaybo played in an identical offense in HS, and was very familiar with it. If he was a little bigger he might have pushed more for PT. He did very well under Monken when he played at Georgia Southern.

He was also the coach’s son. If anyone showed up knowing the reads in those days, I’m sure Jaybo did.
Would have been nice to get Connor Shaw here, but he played tough at South Carolina

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Whether it be TO or Graham, PJ needs to get someone some significant reps this year. We lose a ton on offense after this season. TaQuon, both A Backs and sone O linemen. I do not want to go into 2019 with a QB or Abacks that haven’t had a lot of live reps in a game.
Do you want to lose a game this season just so that we can be prepared next season?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not at all what I said. I said I hope they get some playing time. Whether that be a drive or two in a blowout win or a game we’re not going to win, unlike last season. Why would anyone suggest losing a game to prep for next season?

This is the internet...the extrapolation or inference of ridiculous intent or meaning from one's comments is to be expected.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This is the internet...the extrapolation or inference of ridiculous intent or meaning from one's comments is to be expected.
I know. Just wanted to be clear that wasn’t my intent. Dressed is a well known poster. I’ve seen him on a few boards. I just didn’t want what I was trying to say taken in that way.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not at all what I said. I said I hope they get some playing time. Whether that be a drive or two in a blowout win or a game we’re not going to win, unlike last season. Why would anyone suggest losing a game to prep for next season?
Backups generally get reps in blow out wins, qb's included, I'm all for that. I thought you were suggesting putting in Tobias in a hotly contested game just to get him game reps. Some on here are in favor of exactly that I am a vocal opponent of that thinking. I see the value in building depth with live game play, but we only get so many series in a game and we need to score on as many as possible. Training up the next guy is secondary to that, imo. God forbid we put in the backup and he throws a pick six or has a fumble that costs us a game. Not only does that hurt the team, it also destroys the backups confidence. Heck, just having a 3-n-out can cost us the game.

I'm for playing guys that give us the best chance to win on that day, period. After that, I'm open to playing backups, but even that comes with the cost of not working on parts of the playbook with which the starters still struggle. The qb is just one part of a complex system of players that must all be on the same page for success to happen. I value a more diverse competent playbook for the offensive starters than building depth for the future. This will help us win against the big boys this year.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I see the value in building depth with live game play, but we only get so many series in a game and we need to score on as many as possible.

I don't generally disagree with your overall statement or beliefs but I wonder how the last few years have influenced our thinking, especially in relation to the statement I have quoted. We have become so gun shy about our D that we (referring to the fan base for sure and possibly to the team and coaches???) all feel pressure that we MUST score every time we touch the ball. I wonder if this somehow doesn't influence how the team performs and to some degree what Paul does and doesn't do in terms of risk management, play calling, personnel development. No way would I trade a win today for a (possible) payout next season. And quite frankly, CPJ simply cannot afford that given the outcomes of the recent seasons. OTOH, I think a "change of pace" or letting the backup play when the starter is not getting things done (remember Byerly coming off the bench against Duke?) can be effective at times. Do I think it should be scripted? Not really. But my main premise is the crushing burden of needing to score every single time we have the ball MUST be removed from the O. It will have intangible effects on the entire program.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well when we are getting our tails whipped, at what point does the QB that "gives us the best chance to win" become the QB that "gives us the best chance to win but just not today"?
There's always a point of view involved. But winning next week or next season is for next week and next season. Winning Saturday is why we play. I realize you aren't saying and it is not the same as tanking, but not going all in isn't right for the players or the fan base ... particularly those buying tickets. Shoot, I may get hit by a bus and won't be here next season., and the tombstone could read that I shudda held on for a few months.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You fight with the best you have to the end. You put the next guy in only if you think it gives you a better chance to win. Otherwise players see, lose heart, and the poor guy gets hurt.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
You can use a series here or there in a close game, where you can see Taquon is getting a little tired or taken a few solid shots, to give him a little breather and a chance to watch the game play out by coach’s side to get a different perspective on what the defense is doing. If Oliver is looking capable and effective, I would hope we take that kind of approach. Reps with the first team O against the opponents first team D are so much more valuable than garbage time reps with/against backups. Now if he’s not looking like he can be effective with our offense, then you save his reps for garbage time.