Oliver Ascends

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He came in from high school a little light. He needs to bulk up some to take a lot of hits. I hope they are getting him bigger and stronger. JT had the ability to avoid big hits. Hope he does too. I wonder how long before he sees some action. Better be the first game.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
He will be getting lots of reps in practice and also in games this season. Glad he had an opportunity to redshirt and now has an opportunity to solidify himself in that position for several seasons. This is just another example of the phrases: "Wait your turn; and one play/injury away from being the starter!"

What is even better about this situation is now he can get those much needed reps with ample time to become mentally ready to be the back up QB this season.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's hoping Tobias gets at least a couple of quarters in against Alcorn State, perhaps a quarter+ against Bowling Green, and -- if USF is more in "rebuilding" instead of "reloading" mode from all they lost from last year's squad --two or three series against USF, then that would be a nice bit of real-game field time in the month of September for him.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Love this from Johnson "...I could call a game with Tobias"

Some of y'all have short memories. He said essentially the same thing last year about our 4 potential QBs (Johnson, Jones, Jordan, & Marshall in alphabetical order). But when the rubber met the road only 2 got any meaningful game time snaps; and after Jordan was injured no one but Marshall got PT. I don't count the lone play at the end of the COFH game that Johnson was put in. By the ensd of the 3rd quarter we were out of it and were not going to win that game and he should have gone in a lot sooner. How could he have done any worse?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Graham is a next level athlete, I hope they get him on the field in some packages.
Yea I think it is Wideout for him!!! Maybe He can get some snaps and not burn a redshirt as 3rd string QB vs Alcorn ST... But if Marshall stays healthy the only way Graham should see the field is as Wideout

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
PJ should have played LJ the last series against Duke last year. We had about 8 minutes left in the game with no chance to win and he kept TM in for a quick 3 and out. We never got another possession. We couldn't even stop their walkon QB their last possession. Just think if Saban thought like that UGA would be National Champs.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
IMO we are set at QB for the next 6-8 years.
I hope you are right and it would be a welcome change. But Johnson's offense is so different from today's college offense of the moment, the RPO out of the shotgun, and requires such immediate decisions, even good athletes flounder at QB in it.Running an option is difficult. Running the triple option is a mental exercise requiring physical reactions. As we have seen with Marshall, the time to see "pitch" is real time, not on the film breakdown on Sunday. Physically, maybe we are good But those decisions cascade in this offense and not many QBs can handle it. (I have always thought one of the reasons Johnson has trouble recruiting QBs is that so many look at it and figure it is too challenging. Better to stand seven yards back to decide.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
PJ needs to play his backups more even if just one series a game. Tobias will need some game time and as much and as soon as possible.

Hopefully an improved defense will let him do that. Yes there have been a few games I thought he played the starters to long. But in general due to our defense we are always battling down to the wire. So tired of never putting teams away.