Old Techsters

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
When I enrolled at Tech the Alexander Memorial Coliseum had just been built and we had defeated UGA in football seven years in a row. My freshman year Tech beat the Dwags 35-0 and had won eight in a row. That same year we lost only one game...to Johnny Majors and Tennessee, 6-0. We should've beat them, could've beat them, would've beat them...

The Asphalt Jungle has changed a whole lot over the decades, and Tech has had its ups and downs athletically. Football wise, we were number 7 in the nation just 5 short years ago; now we are rebuilding under a new coach and new system. I've seen that happen a number of times at Tech over the years. And basketball...who remembers BC...Before Cremins...when only a handful of students attended the games and some wore sacks over their heads? Shortly after Bobby arrived, Mark Price and company won the ACC tournament. 1990 was the best year, IMHO, in Tech football/basketball during my lifetime. I credit Homer Rice, Kim King, and many others of the old guard that kept Tech athletics alive and well during some very difficult years.

BiGTime22

Georgia Tech Fan
Late 40s here. Can’t remember exactly how old I am. Sidewalk fan. Really enjoyed reading you guys’ stories. The good ole days!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
IPossibly the most disappointing loss during that time was the LSU game in that same year.
Al: "The man is there! Auer dropped the ball! He dropped the ball!"

I can't convey in print Al's tone of voice. The greatest expression of disappointment I've ever heard on Tech radio. And it was right in his hands.

I was as disappointed as Al was. We had them. I mean, HAD them.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think I'm the one responsible for this. However, I was responding another thing in the original thread. The poster said that he was worried about replacing the present generation of Tech fans as the oldsters (I'm 73) drop off the stage.

I am too and I think this is the main problem college football is facing going forward. The problem is particularly acute at Tech since there is a relatively small undergrad student body and many of them really don't care two flips about any college sport. But it is present everywhere. See:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...program-to-keep-students-in-bryant-denny.html

Now, let's face it: it Bammer is having trouble keeping students interested in football, the whole sport has a problem. Some of this is probably due to changing demographics; a lot of our newer citizens like soccer much better. Some of it is due to injury concerns; parents are, quite correctly, more and more concerned about long term injuries in football and discouraging their children from participating. Some of it is due to a general fall off of interest in most team sports.

I don't know the solution to this, but I do see the combination of faltering interest and changes to the sport leading to its longterm decline.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think I'm the one responsible for this. However, I was responding another thing in the original thread. The poster said that he was worried about replacing the present generation of Tech fans as the oldsters (I'm 73) drop off the stage.

I am too and I think this is the main problem college football is facing going forward. The problem is particularly acute at Tech since there is a relatively small undergrad student body and many of them really don't care two flips about any college sport. But it is present everywhere. See:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...program-to-keep-students-in-bryant-denny.html

Now, let's face it: it Bammer is having trouble keeping students interested in football, the whole sport has a problem. Some of this is probably due to changing demographics; a lot of our newer citizens like soccer much better. Some of it is due to injury concerns; parents are, quite correctly, more and more concerned about long term injuries in football and discouraging their children from participating. Some of it is due to a general fall off of interest in most team sports.

I don't know the solution to this, but I do see the combination of faltering interest and changes to the sport leading to its longterm decline.

This is so true, and since GT is starting from a small base to begin with, if that base cannot be grown and grown fast, I just don't know if FBS football is in the future cards for GT. On top of everything else, now there is so much talk about "paying" players or allowing players to be be paid as sponsors of items, and this will only expedite GT's growing financial problems with fielding a competitive FBS football team. We really are fighting an uphill battle, and so going through the possibility of 3-5 years in a row of losing football is scary.

Al: "The man is there! Auer dropped the ball! He dropped the ball!"

I can't convey in print Al's tone of voice. The greatest expression of disappointment I've ever heard on Tech radio. And it was right in his hands.

I was as disappointed as Al was. We had them. I mean, HAD them.
OMG, don't remind me. I was there. WIDE OPEN FOR THE WIN ..... and he dropped it. HE DROPPED IT !!!!!

But are you sure that was Al? It might have been Jack Hurst, with Al as color man. http://www.grhof.com/11 Legacy Jack Hurst.htm

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I am 60 and will be 61 if the good Lord gives me a few more weeks on this spinning ball. "Got out" in '81 and did my first two semesters in Athens. The admissions office claims to have lost my application which made more sense after I got to Tech and saw how things were run on campus. Like another poster above, I am one of the very few who transferred from east to west. Knew plenty who went in the opposite direction in my time there.

Other factors hurting the game imo....saturation on TV, the TV timeouts while at the game and finally, the playoffs. The old system kept interest alive and made bowls more interesting. The debates about who really is the best team are moot now. Also, the money involved has moved it to from a sport to an investment. The schools with the willpower, moxie and alumni with deepest pockets are making investment decisions that others can't or won't make.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Got out in 67 just before Carson. Had some great years with Dodd (Lothridge, K King, L Snow, Martin, Davis , Guthrie,,etc). Daughter was a soph when we won the NC. Saw Joe Willy play. School was tough with 6 days a week, Saturday 8 AM classes, mandatory ROTC (no credit) and 6 classes of PE, Friday afternoon labs, drownproofing, and a half dozen 3 hour classes. Student "profs" who did not teach were the norm until you got deep into your major. Either Tech got easier or my daughter is a lot smarter (obviously the latter) as she actually excelled and enjoyed GT. I got out after a victorious struggle.

Got out in 67 just before Carson. Had some great years with Dodd (Lothridge, K King, L Snow, Martin, Davis , Guthrie,,etc). Daughter was a soph when we won the NC. Saw Joe Willy play. School was tough with 6 days a week, Saturday 8 AM classes, mandatory ROTC (no credit) and 6 classes of PE, Friday afternoon labs, drownproofing, and a half dozen 3 hour classes. Student "profs" who did not teach were the norm until you got deep into your major. Either Tech got easier or my daughter is a lot smarter (obviously the latter) as she actually excelled and enjoyed GT. I got out after a victorious struggle.
Realizing that may not be your real name, I once knew a Danny Daniel from Augusta. I don't remember if he went to Tech or not, but he would have been about your age (and mine). Do you have Augusta ties?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Either Tech got easier or my daughter is a lot smarter (obviously the latter) as she actually excelled and enjoyed GT. I got out after a victorious struggle.

Thank you! Down through the years, I have heard of students like that but, like Nessie and BigFoot, had written those off as myths, tall tales or urban legends. Glad to know that (at least) one exists. Does the government have her out in Area 51?

I did meet a guy once who claimed to have made all A's in calculus but he had no documented proof. Heck, I tell everybody I was a high school AA looking at USC and Ohio State until the knee "incident". (I do have scars btw from a "knee" incident"). We also have guys one here who, because they coached their son's flag FB team or got promoted a couple of times during their career, like to pose as experts in college football coaching and athletic administration as well!;):D

54 here... I transferred in from UGA (pre-law) in '85 and felt like I was always behind in courses - thanks to my advisor (Summerfeld). I ran out of money and had to press pause and get my hands dirty for a few years - finally got out in '92 (ChE). Unfortunately, I never attended a game as a student. I was always scrambling to catch up on the weekends. Junior's and PJ Haley's were some of my go-tos.

I have had season tickets for the last 7 yrs now (Sect 107, row 27, 9-12).
Another one. I am in 107 row 24 seats 9-12. I will be there for Pitt and UGA

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of memories, I recall a pep rally at night back in 81 at Grant Field. Curry was there ... and it was the first time Buzz appeared. He pulled his stinger between his legs and stung a cheerleader on the behind. Hysterical.

Curry wasn’t the greatest coach. But listening to him, we believed better times were ahead.

You don’t know what adversity is until you live through it.

RabidJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Delighted to read these oldster post! I'm 75 born just off the current Tech campus on Hampton St. Dad was in the 101st Screaming Eagles in Europe (Bastogne, NOT the Band of Brothers CoE but he was in CoB) so Mom was living with her parents on Hampton st. My b/d is June 8 2 days after DDay. Her brother was attending GT. Next door neighbors were the Brooks family (Franklin Brooks of the 1956 Jackets). This is how I got my white/gold infusion. Life-long Tech fan. I was too dumb in Math to get into Tech (i tried) so I ended up grad. from Ga.State. Was a season ticket holder for many years until I retired and moved to the Rockies in Colorado where I still fly the GT flag in my yard. I've got TOO many Tech game memories to list--but--the '62 Ala. game, '90 Citrus Bowl and the "99 Ugag games certainly stand out- proud to say I was there for them.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You may not remember, but I used to play golf at the old Bobby Jones. Next door was Bitsy Grant Tennis Center. Bitsy was old then but in his prime, played Wimbledon.

He used to sit shirtless under a sign that said “Shirts Required”. Anyway, he and Bobby Dodd used to play doubles. They’d hustle all these young kids and run them all over the court, yet barely move themselves. Dodd was probably 75 then.

Hysterical.