Old Techsters

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Somebody made the comment that we needed to open a thread geared towards the oldsters on the Swarm, so I did!!! I'm 67 Y/O , & "got out" in 1974.
Best year at Tech, football wise, was as a Rat in 1970,, Rock Perdoni, Smiley Gebhart, Eddie McAshan, etc, Sun Bowl.
One comment was that we have to get younger fans involved!?! This is the key to the future... Will be a tough challenge!!!

Animal02

Banned
I’m 59 and got out in 82.

I have season tix in Section 107. I would be delighted to take young alum to the game, free .. and talk tradition for 3 hours.

My favorite games? Versus Notre Dame in 1980, 3-3 tie. My favorite football game of all time. Second? Tech 24, Alabama 21 at Legion Field in 1981.
I still kick myself for not going to that ND game. The Bama game I was at.
Same age, but I took and extra couple quarters. so did not escape until spring of 83

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I still kick myself for not going to that ND game. The Bama game I was at.
Same age, but I took and extra couple quarters. so did not escape until spring of 83

I ran into a guy talking football. He was a Tech fan and I asked him his favorite game. 1980 vs. ND.

It was a classic duel.

Animal02

Banned
So many memories. Peters Park. M J Pippins. Agnes Scott and GBH girls.

I had a Physics professor who was a Tech grad. Shared his strategy of dating nurses and playing the 11pm shift change. If you’re lucky, you can swing two dates a night.

His strategy blown when he dated roommates.
I joined the theater......male female ration was much better than general campus, and half the guys were gay......greatly increased the odds. :)
Spiros / Grumpys One of my favorite stories......went to meet a couple of friend at Grumpy's during finals week. They were there with a EE prof that I knew. He said he was giving a final exam across the street in the AE building and had told the class if they had any questions to come across the street. was like wuh? then yea right. About 15 minutes later, some kid comes across North Ave dodging traffic with books and papers stuffed under his arm.......comes in and kneels next to the prof, opens the book and starts asking questions with the Prof......kid packs up his book and papers and heads back across North, and we all went back to our cocktails. Only at Tech.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So many memories. Peters Park. M J Pippins. Agnes Scott and GBH girls.

I had a Physics professor who was a Tech grad. Shared his strategy of dating nurses and playing the 11pm shift change. If you’re lucky, you can swing two dates a night.

His strategy blown when he dated roommates.

Also graduated in 82 and the ND game was amazing - I don’t believe we even attempted a pass - our DL just submarined the massive ND OL all game. Remember dancing in front of the cheerleaders after the game - but not much else.

You mentioned Pippins - but what about Spiro’s next door? I remember me and a frat brother going to lunch there the beginning on one quarter and talking about how we were going to do better at classes and apply ourselves. We didn't leave until midnight and I missed a Chem E lab that I ended up dropping. Fond memories.

Well, I am 57 but I think I qualify. My only tie to Tech is my Grandfather as he went to Tech in the 20's. Brigadier General Robert Watkins. He and my Grandmother had tickets since 1931. Of course my mom went to Tech games. My brother and I started going in 1969, he is 4 years older, an attorney in Atlanta. Now as I have told many of you, I am a UGA Grad, 1984. Even took a class with Hershel. But I never stopped being a Tech fan. Way too many details but I was at Grant field in 1980 for that Tech Notre Dame game. One of our best. When my Grandmother died I started getting my own tickets in 1994. And a $1,000.00 donation to the ATF. I moved here to Colorado in 1998 and before kids made it back for many home games. Now maybe 2 a year. But I still have my 4 tickets in section 107. I tailgate, well used to at the Student Center parking lot, not he deck with a guy named Pete that some on here may know. Disclosure, yep I am a CPJ fan. Met him at a party and he responded to my emails. That said I am a Tech fan and want to win and just want to see some better coaching this weekend. My son and daughter are Tech fans. My son is a Freshman at Colorado Mesa. Not sure if this is kosher, my name is Richard Proctor, attended Westminster and my brother is the attorney Bob Proctor. and I saw on a post how do we get young people to become Tech fans........circa 2006

Attachments

• Kids Tech 007.jpg
    Kids Tech 007.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 42
I’m 59 and got out in 82.

I have season tix in Section 107. I would be delighted to take young alum to the game, free .. and talk tradition for 3 hours.

My favorite games? Versus Notre Dame in 1980, 3-3 tie. My favorite football game of all time. Second? Tech 24, Alabama 21 at Legion Field in 1981.
I am 107 as well, row 24 seats 9-12

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
56 here. Got out in 85, EE. My friends and I would go to Agnes Scott parties, and we all had aliases. I was Steve Gauss (I hated Gauss). My 2 friends were Bob LaPlace and Dave Fourier. :)

GT football was so bad until 1985 while I was there, but GT basketball with Cremins was great!! Still remember seeing Mark Price the first time and thinking, "what is he doing out there?" It did not take long to see why he was out there.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
56 here. Got out in 85, EE. My friends and I would go to Agnes Scott parties, and we all had aliases. I was Steve Gauss (I hated Gauss). My 2 friends were Bob LaPlace and Dave Fourier. :)

GT football was so bad until 1985 while I was there, but GT basketball with Cremins was great!! Still remember seeing Mark Price the first time and thinking, "what is he doing out there?" It did not take long to see why he was out there.

OMG. I remember Brooke Steppe playing basketball. That guy was a stud. And Duane Morrison, the coach ... I think left Tech and became a caddy. Hilarious.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
FYI - already have my granddaughter wearing GT gear and saying "Go Jackets!" - she is 3. I expect to take her to her first game later this year.

We are expecting a grandson in about 6 weeks, and he will be introduced to GT and will be attending games also. I asked Heidi what she wanted her baby brother to be named - she said "Buzz the Bee". :)