Old Techsters

So I think this thread has the most relevance of any in about the last 6 months. The constant back in forth between the now and the then is crazy. I loved some of the Pepper years, some of the Curry Years, two of the Ross years, none of Bill Lewis, Most of Oleary, a few of Gailey, a lot of CPJ, and now we are in the next chapter. Us older guys understand Tech and understand Tech football. Let the worm turn

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Well I'm 27 going on 28 in December I never went to GT just a big fan of them!been a fan since my middle school years,seeing these posts lol actually makes me wish I was older haha but true I like y'alls talking,I've enjoyed each and every one of them,I'm now available to go to some GT football games financially and basketball game and baseball game,but I'm very interested in the old Techsters sign me up!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Well I'm 27 going on 28 in December I never went to GT just a big fan of them!been a fan since my middle school years,seeing these posts lol actually makes me wish I was older haha but true I like y'alls talking,I've enjoyed each and every one of them,I'm now available to go to some GT football games financially and basketball game and baseball game,but I'm very interested in the old Techsters sign me up!
We appreciate your fandom. Every one counts in our world.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
"tatertot1, post: 631257, member: 2884" actually makes me wish I was older haha but true [/QUOTE]
Stay young it's hard to be old you have to get up 3 times at night to go to the bathroom you hurt in places you forgot you had and have to eat dinner at 4;30. Plus the great night games you loved now are at your bedtime.
It's great to have young Tech fans we need more.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Rich Yunkus ! 68-71 you beat me to it Long,,,,
26 points/game,,,11 rebounds/game career average.
Still holds record for most points scored, IIRC,,,

Last edited:
My dad took me to a BBall game and Jacksonville and Artis Gilmore were here. I think Yunkus was playing then. The brother of a friend of mine was a walk-on with Yunkus. Yes he was a stud.
I could have sworn I saw both Yunkus and Steppe play, so I must have gone back for a game or two after I got out. I definitely never saw Kaiser play though.

GT_EE78

Banned
These oldster threads always have good stories. That game SS mentioned (74) was my first trip to Athens (frosh). I stayed the whole game soaking wet.
the pepper rogers years were the pepper rogers years but i never missed a home game and made the road trips to athens,Auburn and Tulane.Always been a GT fan as my dad was (Southern Tech). he had an older cousin who was GT's team MVP in 1941 and (along with Frankie Sinkwich) were the only Georgians named to AJC's all southeastern team that year. http://laurenscountysportshistory.blogspot.com/2009/05/fiddling-fullback-story-of-wex-jordan.html

These oldster threads always have good stories. That game SS mentioned (74) was my first trip to Athens (frosh). I stayed the whole game soaking wet.
the pepper rogers years were the pepper rogers years but i never missed a home game and made the road trips to athens,Auburn and Tulane.Always been a GT fan as my dad was (Southern Tech). he had an older cousin who was GT's team MVP in 1941 and (along with Frankie Sinkwich) were the only Georgians named to AJC's all southeastern team that year. http://laurenscountysportshistory.blogspot.com/2009/05/fiddling-fullback-story-of-wex-jordan.html
Very cool story. I had never heard of the "fiddling fullback" before. There was one error in that link, however: we played Cal on Dec 28 of that year, not Christmas Day. I have to wonder though why we played them at all. We did not have a winning record, and it wasn't a bowl game. In fact we apparently played them in Atlanta. Strange.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I overlapped with some of y'all.

'82-'83 was my first year, and I somehow got into Science Fiction Literature. We met on Wed from 3-6 in the basement/ground-floor of PJ Haley's. I remember the joy of walking across that field of kudzu to drink beer and talk about time travel once a week.

Speaking of the AE building: across the street was Pirro's Pizza (or something like that). I would regularly get a slice of pizza on a paper plate and a mich dark in a paper cup and take it back for aerodynamics lectures.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be considered as an "Old Techster" , you guys have a lot more history than me, but I'm 61, moved to Atlanta in 1980 and took a few graduate school classes at GT studying for my Architectural Licensing Exam.
My favorite years were the O'leary/Fridgeon years, my Dad worked at Meadowcreek HS and got to know Ralph a little bit when he was recruiting a kid named Mandel Coleman.
Ralph always took the time to say hello and have a few words with my Dad and seemed like a really good guy.
Coleman never did sign with GT, but another kid did, his name was Hendricks (I forget his first name), he played some DB ...

GT_EE78

Banned
Very cool story. I had never heard of the "fiddling fullback" before. There was one error in that link, however: we played Cal on Dec 28 of that year, not Christmas Day. I have to wonder though why we played them at all. We did not have a winning record, and it wasn't a bowl game. In fact we apparently played them in Atlanta. Strange.
from what i gathered "fiddling fullback" was the nickname from HS senior year , i don't know whether or not it carried over to his college days.
playing DL at 175 sounds funny by today's standards. When was the last time you saw a 6 man defensive line?

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
Graduated in 1977. Vivid memories of manual registration and all night basketball in the Naval Armory. I actually did oversleep and miss a final in my major. Full sprint across the campus. Fortunately the prof was my advisor so he let me take it in his office. First game in Grant Field, U of Southern Cal who was rated #1. Pat Haden at QB, Anthony Davis at RB and Lynn Swann at WR. Sat in the Flash Card section with the PKAs.

GTChE92

Georgia Tech Fan
54 here... I transferred in from UGA (pre-law) in '85 and felt like I was always behind in courses - thanks to my advisor (Summerfeld). I ran out of money and had to press pause and get my hands dirty for a few years - finally got out in '92 (ChE). Unfortunately, I never attended a game as a student. I was always scrambling to catch up on the weekends. Junior's and PJ Haley's were some of my go-tos.

I have had season tickets for the last 7 yrs now (Sect 107, row 27, 9-12).

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
66 and graduated in 1975. I’ve been to a lot of Tech games over the years and have decided that I am a masochist at heart.