Old Techsters

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
OMG. I remember Brooke Steppe playing basketball. That guy was a stud. And Duane Morrison, the coach ... I think left Tech and became a caddy. Hilarious.
My wife was at high school with that dude. She never understood how he made it to GT.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m 59 and got out in 82.

I have season tix in Section 107. I would be delighted to take young alum to the game, free .. and talk tradition for 3 hours.

My favorite games? Versus Notre Dame in 1980, 3-3 tie. My favorite football game of all time. Second? Tech 24, Alabama 21 at Legion Field in 1981.

Younger than u but I was at the ND game and listened to the Tech Alabama game on an am radio. First game I remember going to was ‘73 against southern cal.

Animal02

Banned
OMG. I remember Brooke Steppe playing basketball. That guy was a stud. And Duane Morrison, the coach ... I think left Tech and became a caddy. Hilarious.
I almost knock Steppe down a stairs outside of west campus. There was a long flight of stairs leading to the tennis courts (long gone) north of Folk / Caldwell. He was coming up, and I was heading down (and not paying attention.....just scraped by him......at I not......we both would have taken a long tumble.

Animal02

Banned
FYI - already have my granddaughter wearing GT gear and saying "Go Jackets!" - she is 3. I expect to take her to her first game later this year.

We are expecting a grandson in about 6 weeks, and he will be introduced to GT and will be attending games also. I asked Heidi what she wanted her baby brother to be named - she said "Buzz the Bee". :)
Will become a grandpa in December.....which reminds me....need to order some newborn GT gear.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I joined the theater......male female ration was much better than general campus, and half the guys were gay......greatly increased the odds. :)
Spiros / Grumpys One of my favorite stories......went to meet a couple of friend at Grumpy's during finals week. They were there with a EE prof that I knew. He said he was giving a final exam across the street in the AE building and had told the class if they had any questions to come across the street. was like wuh? then yea right. About 15 minutes later, some kid comes across North Ave dodging traffic with books and papers stuffed under his arm.......comes in and kneels next to the prof, opens the book and starts asking questions with the Prof......kid packs up his book and papers and heads back across North, and we all went back to our cocktails. Only at Tech.
Took a final at Chollies across the street. Asked the Prof if he minded if we drank beer during the final. We figured we could get a pitcher and bring it back to the classroom. He said we had 3 hrs, it was open book & he didn’t care just as long as the test was turned in by 4. We could drink and try to pass at Chollies. Told us there were few able to help us answer the questions and there was probably zero chance any of them were beer drinkers. Somewhere deep into pitcher #2 bordering on the early part of #3 I had an epiphany and managed to answer 2 questions out of 5 correctly, good enough for a B. One eye open I turned the test in on time. I think about 5 pitchers and 9 hrs of beer drinking/ eating pizza Chollie had one of the waitresses help me stumble home. Good dude he was.

Only at GT and only back in the day, sadly. It sucked but it was fun.

I turned 75 in August. Got my BS in '66 and my MS in '67. The only college football games I had been to prior to my freshman year at Tech were a few Furman games, since my dad graduated from there. The only Tech tie I had was a Tech student my older sister dated in the mid 50s. He turned me into a Tech fan forever, and I can remember listening to the games after then with Jack Hurst announcing. While at Tech I never missed a game. The single most amazing game I saw there was the Bama game in '62. Possibly the most disappointing loss during that time was the LSU game in that same year. Since then, there have been many amazing games that I have attended, capped I guess by the Nebraska Citrus Bowl game. But also high on the list was the '74 Georgia game to which I took my dad (his only COFH game) in the pouring rain. At half-time, with a good lead, I suggested we leave because it was so miserable, but my dad refused, saying he was having too much fun. That was the closest I ever felt to my dad. My sister didn't marry that Tech student she had dated; she married a mutt grad, but he was a life-long Tech fan, as was his entire family. And their kids became BIG Tech fans also, with my nephew graduating from Tech. I never married, so I have no "legacy" fans to leave behind, but that's ok, because my Tech life has been FULL. I sat in the same seats (Sec 225, Row 26, Seats 1, 2) every year until this year, when I moved down 10 rows because of the increasingly difficult climb up to the top. I also went to every basketball game while I was in school, and had season tickets there for several of the Hewitt years, fortunately being able to go to his Final Four. Ahhhh, all the memories. What a Tech life for me !!!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
FYI - I have been told by several other Tech guys that they have these same recurring nightmares over the years:

1. I have an early morning class that I never attend because I plan to drop it, but I realize late in the quarter that I have missed the deadline. (FYI - I only dropped one class, and I did not forget)
2. I wake up and realize I am very late for a final exam.

In both of these scenarios, I wake up in a cold sweat. Man, every job I have had since GT has been a breeze compared to GT. But, I still love that place.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
FYI - I have been told by several other Tech guys that they have these same recurring nightmares over the years:

1. I have an early morning class that I never attend because I plan to drop it, but I realize late in the quarter that I have missed the deadline. (FYI - I only dropped on class, and I did not forget)

In both of these scenarios, I wake up in a cold sweat. Man, every job I have had since GT has been a breeze compared to GT. But, I still love that place.

Add on the “they noticed an unpaid overdue book from my junior year, and they’re rescinding my degree until I pay the fines with accrued interest”, and I think you’ve got the big ones.

(Graduated 89, unless that library book finally gets me)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

1. I have an early morning class that I never attend because I plan to drop it, but I realize late in the quarter that I have missed the deadline. (FYI - I only dropped one class, and I did not forget)

I didn't realize others had the same nightmares! I cant count the times I woke up in a cold sweat thinking I forgot to drop a class. Haven't had one in 5 years or so but they used to be all too frequent.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And I did sleep through/ show up after a final - fortunately it was Bud Fowlkes(sp?) english class on Chaucer. He had moved the time during the last week of class which I missed. I showed up just as he was leaving - but he was cool as always and just let me take it late.

Animal02

Banned

I have similar ones these day......get to the airport.....am I here on the right day? Am I going to the right city? or even state?( I travel 2-3 days a week)

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, you guys are all youngsters! Graduated in ‘62. Son graduated in ‘90. Season ticket holder for almost eternity. Son also. Daughter, grandsons, grand daughter, great granddaughters all come to the games. And we live over 200 miles away. Best game ever ‘63 win over Alabama. Anyone who was there in ‘61 will understand the reason. Next the win over Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl and the share of NC. There were a lot more great wins. Along with some awful loses. But that is all part of the game. As we have always done in the past, support out TEAM. Go Jackets.

Well, you guys are all youngsters! Graduated in ‘62. Son graduated in ‘90. Season ticket holder for almost eternity. Son also. Daughter, grandsons, grand daughter, great granddaughters all come to the games. And we live over 200 miles away. Best game ever '62 win over Alabama. Anyone who was there in ‘61 will understand the reason. Next the win over Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl and the share of NC. There were a lot more great wins. Along with some awful loses. But that is all part of the game. As we have always done in the past, support out TEAM. Go Jackets.
FIFY