Old Tech memorabilia

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
My grandmother was an avid quilter. This was one she made for me.
3A76D275-55BA-469B-8299-D2A704979A03.jpeg

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
View attachment 4467 So i found this old GT car tag at the flea market in Collinsville, AL this weekend and it got me thinking that i bet some of the folks on GTswarm must have some super-cool old GT memorabilia- tickets, programs, photos, jerseys, etc. Post up pics of your favorite Tech swag, i’d love to see it. Also if anyone knows anything about this tag i bought let me know, i’ve never seen this particular graphic before.

P.s. mods if this needs to be moved to chat or something i apologize, wasnt sure where to post...
I entered Tech in ‘58 and I have never seen anything like this.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Is that the '51 team? I thought Larry Morris was a FR in '52
Other than George Morris, it's a WAG.

However, to your point regarding Larry Morris, click on this Link to the GTAA Football Archives, scroll down to the 1952 Team Stats - plenty of rosters, but no numbers - and open up the pdf.... and scroll down to page 3.... be careful... that team had three Morris boys on it - George, "Jimmy L." played LH and Larry played FB. Larry is shown as a 1 x Letterwinner, Class of '55.

If you do the same for the '51 team, Larry intercepted 2 passes & scored a TD on one of 55 yds vs UGag, but isn't listed on the roster - "Jimmy L." is also in the stats, but not the '51 roster.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Other than George Morris, it's a WAG.

However, to your point regarding Larry Morris, click on this Link to the GTAA Football Archives, scroll down to the 1952 Team Stats - plenty of rosters, but no numbers - and open up the pdf.... and scroll down to page 3.... be careful... that team had three Morris boys on it - George, "Jimmy L." played LH and Larry played FB. Larry is shown as a 1 x Letterwinner, Class of '55.

If you do the same for the '51 team, Larry intercepted 2 passes & scored a TD on one of 55 yds vs UGag, but isn't listed on the roster - "Jimmy L." is also in the stats, but not the '51 roster.

Good work there Charlie.

#47 absolutely looks like Larry Morris.

Love seeing these old photos and imagining what it was like then.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Love seeing these old photos and imagining what it was like then.

That comment got me thinking about what Grant Field was like when I was a freshman in 1970. I ruined a good pair of adidas track shoes on worse cinders than anything I ever saw in high school--yes, the track went around the football field and was "paved" with but cinders. Grant Field wasn't very much different in 1970 than it was in 1952 in all probability.

The recent stories on Pepper include comments about how bad the facilities were. They were bad, and didn't get better until Homer Rice--who had fundraising ability--came to Tech in 1980. An example of what Homer did: Clemson was raising more money than us by 1980. Homer figured out that the difference wasn't IPTAY, it was sky boxes. So he built some. He merged alumni and athletic fund raising into Yellow Jacket Clubs, and required the coaches to go on the road to Club meetings.

I'll be accused of being a troll, but I have to say that while Bobby Dodd was a great football coach and one of the most charismatic people you will ever meet, he didn't do Tech any favors as an AD. He admitted that he didn't like asking people for money, although with his charisma and contacts he could have raised tons of money. That's when Georgie passed us as a program, and we still haven't recovered.

That comment got me thinking about what Grant Field was like when I was a freshman in 1970. I ruined a good pair of adidas track shoes on worse cinders than anything I ever saw in high school--yes, the track went around the football field and was "paved" with but cinders. Grant Field wasn't very much different in 1970 than it was in 1952 in all probability.

The recent stories on Pepper include comments about how bad the facilities were. They were bad, and didn't get better until Homer Rice--who had fundraising ability--came to Tech in 1980. An example of what Homer did: Clemson was raising more money than us by 1980. Homer figured out that the difference wasn't IPTAY, it was sky boxes. So he built some. He merged alumni and athletic fund raising into Yellow Jacket Clubs, and required the coaches to go on the road to Club meetings.

I'll be accused of being a troll, but I have to say that while Bobby Dodd was a great football coach and one of the most charismatic people you will ever meet, he didn't do Tech any favors as an AD. He admitted that he didn't like asking people for money, although with his charisma and contacts he could have raised tons of money. That's when Georgie passed us as a program, and we still haven't recovered.
Dodd was a TERRIBLE AD. No other way to put it.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Sadly, burned into my memory are the words of CBD in the AJC upon leaving the SEC - "we will always sell out our season tickets."

There was a certain combination of over confidence / naivety that truly hurt us.

But in the past and those that love GT must give to make sure it doesn't happen again.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, burned into my memory are the words of CBD in the AJC upon leaving the SEC - "we will always sell out our season tickets."

There was a certain combination of over confidence / naivety that truly hurt us.

But in the past and those that love GT must give to make sure it doesn't happen again.
2 years later we had a NFL and a MLB team in Atlanta. Before that, there were no "pro" sports there. The Crackers don't count. Had the Braves and Falcons not come in 1966, he may have been right.