OL

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We lost 3 senior ol (60 percent).

Ol is most complex part of offense.
We have lots of "snaps" coming back on the OL regardless of losing 3 sr's. We also get Chris Griffin back who didn't play at all last year. His experience helps mitigate what we are losing to some degree. I expect Klock, Bryan and Devine to make significant leaps forward as they were thrown into the fire and have learned a lot on the job. They should be better physically, too, after another off season training.

I expect Freddie to better, as well, w/o the off-field distraction of his father's illness, (rip Mr. Burden).

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
All I have seen is a recent picture and he looked huge. I mean really huge. So much so, that I really question his current weight on the roster.

Boomer I am by no means an expert but I would estimate that his weight gain would have to have been 20 lbs at a minimum. The thing that I really was encouraged by was it looked to be good weight too. I would not be shocked to hear he is in the 300 range or maybe even slightly over.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So hard for me to be objective about this season. I have the usual excitement for the season to begin which my heart starts to confuse with optimism. When I try to look soberly at what happened last year and how many unproven players we have this year, I see lots of room for catastrophe.

If someone has not done this it might be time to start a thread that lays out each position group on offense and defense and gives an over / under betting line on whether they perform closer to last year or closer to 2014. Not for actual gambling purposes but just to try to handicap the season.

I doubt that most fans CAN be objective for the simple reason that most of us have no clue as to what is going on with the other teams on our schedule and they have a lot to say about our W-L. So for me, I remains 50% over optimistic (and dreaming of a natty) and 50% uber pessimistic and hoping to avoid going winless next year. Based on actual data, this sort of mindset has resulted in us ending up somewhere in the middle (give or take) each year along with a a bowl game (very often in a city that even your typical Uga fan has heard of and can spell correctly) about 90-95% of the time over the last 2 decades. So I will remain firmly on the fence evenly divided between optimism and pessimism. It's usually early December or so before I really can get a handle on things.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubt that most fans CAN be objective for the simple reason that most of us have no clue as to what is going on with the other teams on our schedule and they have a lot to say about our W-L. So for me, I remains 50% over optimistic (and dreaming of a natty) and 50% uber pessimistic and hoping to avoid going winless next year. Based on actual data, this sort of mindset has resulted in us ending up somewhere in the middle (give or take) each year along with a a bowl game (very often in a city that even your typical Uga fan has heard of and can spell correctly) about 90-95% of the time over the last 2 decades. So I will remain firmly on the fence evenly divided between optimism and pessimism. It's usually early December or so before I really can get a handle on things.

I worked with a guy once that raised fence straddling to an art form. I will never forget a quote from him in a meeting to evaluate some new software. He said, "I think that we think that this may have some long range potential." Not do diss your abilities 4shotB, but you've got some work to do if you want to move up on the fence.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I know you went to Tech which is good for 30 years of Holiday Inn Express, but your mindset has not played a part in our results, let alone resulted in our records.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have lots of "snaps" coming back on the OL regardless of losing 3 sr's. We also get Chris Griffin back who didn't play at all last year. His experience helps mitigate what we are losing to some degree. I expect Klock, Bryan and Devine to make significant leaps forward as they were thrown into the fire and have learned a lot on the job. They should be better physically, too, after another off season training.

I expect Freddie to better, as well, w/o the off-field distraction of his father's illness, (rip Mr. Burden).

They were getting reps . No doubt about that. We scrapped some senior playing time last year to get them playing time.

Leaving in the seniors could have resulted in a victory or 2.
Letting the young guys get reps was the right move.

I hope we never get to a place where we have so few reps @ skill positions like we did coming into 15. The cupboard was pretty bare save the freshmen . I had hoped they would make a big show but it was not to be.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
By that same token, this team was supposed to be a dumpster fire in 2014 what with all the transfers, drop-outs, and dismissals we experienced that offseason. Yes, things sometimes don't "work out."

The point of my post was not to be doom and gloom, but rather to modulate expectations for a unit that has a lot of potential AND will need to work very hard to realize that potential.

That is why I said "sometimes" things don't work out. Implied is that other times they do work out or exceed expectations, as in 2014.

I think it's appropriate to be excited about our OL players and realize they haven't done anything yet and need to prove it on the field.

I hope our guys dont buy into the hype being pushed here....playet comments from last year suggested they bought into the hype. Just sayin'

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The point of my post was not to be doom and gloom, but rather to modulate expectations for a unit that has a lot of potential AND will need to work very hard to realize that potential.

That is why I said "sometimes" things don't work out. Implied is that other times they do work out or exceed expectations, as in 2014.

I think it's appropriate to be excited about our OL players and realize they haven't done anything yet and need to prove it on the field.

I hope our guys dont buy into the hype being pushed here....playet comments from last year suggested they bought into the hype. Just sayin'
I agree and wrt your last statement, think the opposite is in effect. The guys are pissed and have a huge, angry chip on their shoulder. This comes from one of their dads who posts here.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Ice, CPJ tries to win every game. He played the personal who he thought gave him the best chance to win. Don't for one second think the young players got playing time because he was quitting on last season. Do you believe for one second that he did not want to kick the crap out of UGA? Yes this group is pissed and they should be. Practice starts in less than two weeks.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It was passed time to make change at LT . 3 years ago bc was crucified for getting snap count wrong. Since then he is last man off the line after the snap. Klock going thru redshirt earned playing time bt his agility and aggressive down field blocking. The mystery of demise of the sr Rt still confounds me. I hated that your son had to burn his shirt half way thru the season. As I said in previous post I had hoped he could start every game for 4 years. Imo The two players replaced by klock and your son wanted to win as well.
When we were so close to winning in almost every game, coach had to try something. What was being done was not working for whatever reason via coaches and senior starters. It was not a Settle for less situation, but it was not a good player being replaced by a great player.

Like u say we really wanted to win uga. Game was close. I am sure that with uga coming into bds and holding us to 194 yds rushing and 65 yds passing, coach and players are looking for revenge.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Will burned his redshirt the second play of the Alcorn State game. He did not enroll early to redshirt. He played in 10 games starting 6. He was determined to play his freshman year. There was never intention for him to redshirt.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Its how fast you get better.
By mid season it was obvious he had to play.
My son played og and his biggest improvement came jr to senior when he got "thicker"- all conference selection

I look forward to will' s senior year. Its a long path but could be very special. Keep pushing

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank u. I have faith in these young men. They are a great group. They will succeed on and off the field. It's been a blessing meeting GT fans and GT parents. It really is a different group. I'm very excited for spring practice to start. Can't wait for the spring game. Go Jackets!

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Its how fast you get better.
By mid season it was obvious he had to play.
My son played og and his biggest improvement came jr to senior when he got "thicker"- all conference selection

I look forward to will' s senior year. Its a long path but could be very special. Keep pushing
Shoot, from what I saw last year, and what I hear this off-season, I can't wait to see him play in his sophomore year:D:cool:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Thank u. I have faith in these young men. They are a great group. They will succeed on and off the field. It's been a blessing meeting GT fans and GT parents. It really is a different group. I'm very excited for spring practice to start. Can't wait for the spring game. Go Jackets!
Are any of the OL out for spring practice this year?