OL

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
We were really on the OL coach the last couple of years, but maybe it was the injuries and players having to play out of position more than coaching. I agree, that we have had good OL play pretty much every game, and that is with just one senior. I remember a comment from CPJ a couple of weeks back (I think after the Miami game) where he said he looked out on the field at one point and we had three freshmen and two sophomores on the line. At the beginning of the season, I was hoping we could have a pretty good year this year because the schedule next year is going to be a killer. I'm starting to look forward to a quiet ND crowd during the 4th qtr death march with the OL serving up pancakes.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The Oline yesterday of
Fro/Cham, Devine, Burden, Shaq, Joe was laying that D on their backs. It was Beautiful. Finally Big Boy line play please no more light in the *** lines. Big mean road graders.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I just said it in another thread, but I really want to congratulate Erin Joe on his play yesterday. He took a lot of flack (correctly) for his play in the last few games, but, during his first really extensive stint of play, he came through like a champ. He actually seemed to get better as the game went on. That's what I like to see: put the bad stuff behind you, play your heart out, and contribute greatly to a great offensive performance. This ought to do wonders for his confidence and the coach's confidence in him.

Thanks, Erin!

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Do I think you're pandering b/c Will Bryan's dad is active on this board? idk
I was referring to how good the OL has played and how much talent we're returning. Not downing Will at all, by far the best OL recruit that weve had in a long time. Just a question comment patrol, smh

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am a HUGE believer that football games are won and lost in the trenches.

Our offense is very good this year. VERY good. And the OL is the reason why (although JT is certainly helping out as well!)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The Oline yesterday of
Fro/Cham, Devine, Burden, Shaq, Joe was laying that D on their backs. It was Beautiful. Finally Big Boy line play please no more light in the *** lines. Big mean road graders.
I am not sure why this notion persists that CPJ likes small linemen. I never saw any evidence for that. What he likes is mobile linemen. In the past he probably has to choose (because of recruiting issues that have since been cleaned up) between a guy who could move and guy who was a little larger but could not move at all. Earlier in his tenure at Tech he had some guys recruited who were big and mobile but they either got flipped by other schools or they ended up not playing college ball due to career ending injury.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Our offense is very good this year. VERY good. And the OL is the reason why (although JT is certainly helping out as well!)

I agree. You can see it playing out on both sides of the ball.

Right now on offense, we are rolling out our biggest and most athletic OL we've had in CPJ's tenure. As a result, our offense is rolling at historical levels. This is also the healthiest we've been at OL this late in the season (**knock on wood**).

On defense, we've lost 2+ entire lines of DLs, and our defense is giving up numbers at historical levels.

Bill Parcells was a big advocate of drafting from the inside out. Outside of a franchise QB, you drafted to make your OL and DL units deep and talented.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Yes, I agree with this caveat. Imho, JT is making the OL look better. The reason is the same reason Vad made the OL look worse last year then it was: the speed of execution of the offense. We're running the offense – finally! – as fast as Navy these days. That in turn means that the OLs don't have to sustain their blocks as long as they did last year and, as a consequence, the O works better and they look great.

Why? I think it's because we finally have that QB who can run the O at ramming speed that we've been waiting for. JT is almost as good with his reads as Tevin and he adds game-breaking speed. If you design a D to make him beat you single-handed, he'll be glad to oblige. This makes an OLs life so much simpler.

Now, of course, this is based on the evidence of watching us against two average Ds. This Saturday will probably be a little more challenging.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I agree with this caveat. Imho, JT is making the OL look better. The reason is the same reason Vad made the OL look worse last year then it was: the speed of execution of the offense. We're running the offense – finally! – as fast as Navy these days. That in turn means that the OLs don't have to sustain their blocks as long as they did last year and, as a consequence, the O works better and they look great.

Why? I think it's because we finally have that QB who can run the O at ramming speed that we've been waiting for. JT is almost as good with his reads as Tevin and he adds game-breaking speed. If you design a D to make him beat you single-handed, he'll be glad to oblige. This makes an OLs life so much simpler.

Now, of course, this is based on the evidence of watching us against two average Ds. This Saturday will probably be a little more challenging.
Jt's ability to avoid being sacked has also led to our pass pro looking better. The OL / QB is definitely a symbiotic relationship that is currently thriving.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer

I think that JeT has been a big part of the change. If one guy squeezes through the line, I really feel like JT is going to either make him miss our outrun him to the edge. Thomas is able to squirm his way though defenders for big gains. He is just amazing to watch.

That being said, the OL is firing off the line and constantly pushing defenders back. I had 100% confidence that we could make a 4th and 2 to keep the drive going, even with a sneak. It has been so much fun watching these guys play this year. And the scary fact is, that they will get better. When we get a few more playmakers in on D, I will like our chances against anyone.