OL Thread

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Very similar indeed! The big difference is I think we had a huge OL in those days, iirc. Now we don't outweigh our opposition (though we are bigger than the recent past) as much as we out quick 'em and out scheme 'em (out execute 'em).

Some reason this feel negative (of course I know you are not being negative)
The OL finally have the jimmy & joes many have been clamoring about us lacking. Those guys made the scheme look good and dominated quite few guys that will be playing on Sundays. I have feeling like his theme will be repeated the next 3 yrs with OL

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Some reason this feel negative (of course I know you are not being negative)
The OL finally have the jimmy & joes many have been clamoring about us lacking. Those guys made the scheme look good and dominated quite few guys that will be playing on Sundays. I have feeling like his theme will be repeated the next 3 yrs with OL
From what I gather, success in the trenches is more dependent on gaining/maintaining leverage than brute strength. Flexibility, balance, explosiveness, quickness, speed, smarts (knowing where to go and who to hit every time no matter what) all play into that equation. But as CPJ says, "big and fast is better than small and fast."

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
From what I gather, success in the trenches is more dependent on gaining/maintaining leverage than brute strength. Flexibility, balance, explosiveness, quickness, speed, smarts (knowing where to go and who to hit every time no matter what) all play into that equation. But as CPJ says, "big and fast is better than small and fast."
He also says "Physical superiority cancels all theories." Well, our theories weren't cancelled this year were they? What does that tell you?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He also says "Physical superiority cancels all theories." Well, our theories weren't cancelled this year were they? What does that tell you?
But physical superiority entails a whole lot more than size/weight. In fact, all the things I listed in my post are physical except for smarts.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
True, it's all speculation. But, I fell fairly confident that the interception in the second half with the adjustments that were made would've resulted in a completed drive.
That is a huge assumption against that defense. We had the ball other times but completed only two drives. I mean, give 'em credit. Outstanding defensive team and DC. (Whom I love to watch on the sideline, by the way. So intense that the team's strength and conditioning coach was assigned to physically remove him from the playing field after he got a couple of penalties in last year's bowl game. And when he got picked up and moved back, he just kept coaching. Really funny. Next time they're on TV look for that big burly guy standing right behind him the whole game.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I love playing Clemson. The games and the atmosphere are so entertaining. I think the fans and the players respect each other and give it their all. I hope nothing changes that. ......

I would pay big money to have a video of the uga DL coach reviewing the film of our game with his players. Especially players on the left side of his DL. I suspect he just burned the tape. All year long we had worried about some team just lining up and running the ball down our throats. Turns out we were channeling uga fans. .
Truncated to shorten it, but I'm with on Clemson. It is a great rivalry with two loyal fan bases, though Clemson stacks 'em into Death Valley. But there is a respect there that extends to the coaches. One of the really great images after the '14 game was that glimpse of Swinney searching Thomas out in the post-game scrum and talking to him. Had to be hard for him, knowing he had a shot if his QB wasn't lost in the first quarter.

After we won, but only after, Georgia was just funny. In everything. On the field. Radio. TV. Almost worth the 4th quarter stress.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That is a huge assumption against that defense. We had the ball other times but completed only two drives. I mean, give 'em credit. Outstanding defensive team and DC. (Whom I love to watch on the sideline, by the way. So intense that the team's strength and conditioning coach was assigned to physically remove him from the playing field after he got a couple of penalties in last year's bowl game. And when he got picked up and moved back, he just kept coaching. Really funny. Next time they're on TV look for that big burly guy standing right behind him the whole game.)
IIRC wasn't the pick right after a 75 yard scoring drive? I'm speaking from memory but I recall we changed our blocking assignments in the second half and made Clemson's DTs look normal. Also, I recall CU having trouble stopping Smelter.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
IIRC wasn't the pick right after a 75 yard scoring drive? I'm speaking from memory but I recall we changed our blocking assignments in the second half and made Clemson's DTs look normal. Also, I recall CU having trouble stopping Smelter.
Without re-watching it I am not sure, but I think I recall one TD in the first half and one in the second on offense. Truth is though that Johnson's halftime adjustments make a lot of defenses look normal. (When he was hired as I recall the moderator of the Navy blog "Bird Dog" -- beats me -- in answer to a GT fan's question said something like get ready for a lot of miserable first halves, or a lot of first halves that will drive you crazy, or some such.) Keep in mind: that was a run defense that gave up an average of 90 ypg through very late in the season. We got 250. That was in relative terms a good day for the offense. Had we gotten only 90 they would still be playing. Smelter & /Thomas did drive 'em crazy with back shoulder throws the D back could not get turned around on. A guy who was in the locker room at halftime said Venables was giving him a coaching clinic there. All told, take the win and run like a thief.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nothing we did made #50 look normal. He basically did whatever he wanted and out-quicked every guy we put in front of him. What happened was CPJ recognizing that he was cutting off the A gap by slanting in pretty much every snap. So, CPJ asked Braun to go ahead and push him in since he couldn't beat him to the spot and shield him to the outside. Then we ran the dive right off his behind. At that point we started having a little success.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nothing we did made #50 look normal. He basically did whatever he wanted and out-quicked every guy we put in front of him. What happened was CPJ recognizing that he was cutting off the A gap by slanting in pretty much every snap. So, CPJ asked Braun to go ahead and push him in since he couldn't beat him to the spot and shield him to the outside. Then we ran the dive right off his behind. At that point we started having a little success.
Yes, that was what I remembered. We began having success inside and that changed the complexion of the game for our offense.

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
Great point/post. Little nuggets like this is what makes this board great. I have to do a whole lot of "mining" on other boards to find something like this...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Great point/post. Little nuggets like this is what makes this board great. I have to do a whole lot of "mining" on other boards to find something like this...
If by mining you mean this...

images

then I agree. ;)