OL/qb... chicken/egg

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our offense has succeeded this year for a lot of reasons. A qb that fits the system and operates it lightning quick, an OL that's both big and athletic and "knows where to go." A stable of senior Abacks who know how to block the edge. A stud sr wr that came out of nowhere like manna from heaven and a pretty good complement in another tall, fast, athletic wideout.

But just isolating the relationship between OL and qb, who deserves more credit and which deserves more blame last year? Many say Vad had issues, but the OL was terrible and that compounded his issues. Others, like me, say the OL was good the year before with a sr Tevin, how did they all of a sudden become crappy?

Imo, the qb is the linchpin in our offense. He makes everything go and makes everyone else, better... or worse. Most of JT's success is due to how quickly he operates the basics of the offense and how he, with his legs mostly, puts pressure on the defense.

Vad was a darn good athlete, but he was slow in how he operated the offense. He didn't attack the pitch key and we were "slow played" to death. My point is not to attack Vad, but to point out how a pure option qb is so necessary for the success of this offense and how his performance makes the OL's job either 10x easier or 10x harder to perform. I believe our OL is better this year, but not so much so that it is the primary reason for our success. JT gets that award.

Last edited:

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Cheese - are we beating a dead horse here with this thread?

Last year, VPISU was able to both cram the middle with 8 or 9 in the box and cover the outside against us. Why? Because we executed slowly. This year, defenses played 7 in the box all year. Why? Because they needed their safeties in pass coverage and to defend the edge.

We were successful this year because:

- Defenses had to keep safeties back (often 10-15 yards) and typically couldn't put more than 7 in the box.

We need to do what's necessary to maintain these conditions: crisp execution of the option (inside out), ability to run an effective counter, and credible threat to pass.

Our scheme isolated the middle linebacker this year. AND, our offensive line spent the entire year pummeling the opponents middle linebacker. If we do that, we win. Period.

/

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Strongly agree. Last year it seemed we were more reactive to the defense than we are this year. When JT plays, the offense seems more aggressive, putting defenses, well, "on the defensive". Haven't heard many speak about this but some of his pitches are more aggressive (i.e. last second, more risky) than typical. I definitely had more "what are you doing...don't pitch... Great Pitch!" moments than in previous years. He certainly had an impact on O-line success.

thwgjacket

I've been watching CPJ run his offense for 20 years. I missed the Tracy Ham years because I wasn't born yet but I've been indoctrinated with the game tape, including "The Pass." When JeT runs it I have a hard time following the ball a lot of plays. He's better and more explosive than Greg Hill. I don't think he's quite as good as Tracy Ham yet but the guy is only a sophomore. That play against FSU where he took the snap and spun around immediately was a "whoa" moment. He spun and took two steps before it seemed like anyone on the field had even taken a step yet.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the Cheese is way right on this. I said last year that our OL was ok, once the injuries had been covered, but that we suffered because the speed we were running the O made it imperative that the OL hold their blocks longer. That meant it was harder to get to the second level and that pass blocking was harder since the play action was slower.

What a difference having everybody back and healthy and having a QB who can run the O at ramming speed makes. All of a sudden the OL everyone was cussing about last year is one of the best in the country.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
JT is excellent at changing the play-call at the line of scrimmage. He reads Defenses pretty good both before hiking the ball and during execution. He will only get better each season at this. I believe his speed helps the timing of the option to flow faster and thus be more successful. If he's not where he needs to be for the pitch because of a quick defender in pursuit, he will likely have to eat the ball. If he's fast and in the proper position when the defender commits to pursuing him, then the pitch is waiting in the wing. There are also the intangibles about JT that must be considered IMO. Above all, JT is mentally committed to this offense; he has bought into CPJ's system and BELIEVES it can work if properly executed. If a kid's heart isn't in it, his mind certainly will never be either. He is also a competitor who will fight you to the bitter end. That competitor spirit is what creates quarterbacks who can find by sheer force of will a way to beat opposing teams.

All that being said, I would not want to take any credit away from the tremendously talented and powerful O-Line. Without their blocking, the TO becomes an impotent disaster very quickly. All of it shuts down. They are all worthy of MVP's with this offense. Like any good qb, JT would be the first to tell you that.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Our offensive tackles really struggled last year to cut off pursuit to the perimeter. IMHO we are WAY better at it this year for a few reasons, probably in this order:

1. Chamberlain, Griffin, and Joe are a good group of OTs and got better as the year went on.

2. Effectiveness of interior line in blocking the dive makes LBs have to hold a half count before flying outside.

3. Coach Ry being a dedicated OT coach.

As fast and as good as JT is you dont beat fast defenses to the edge on speed alone. The line should get a ton of credit. They have been blowing everyone except Clemson off the ball.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Both ol and qb got better by themselves.
Qb improved the moment JT got the ball
Ol got bigger , stronger over off season
During season qb learned to be field general and ol learned to block with controlled aggression.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Certainly it has not be all one or the other. These are my observations:
For the OL - fewer whiffs outside, fewer false starts, and more importantly, fewer strings of false starts, better pass pro on the edges, and a better job of chipping on the interior and still getting to the second level.

For the QB - quicker decisions, getting headed downfield faster, better pocket awareness and quicker feet.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
If Tevin had JT5's arm We would have been in at least one more ACCCG. The pass is needed and we need a defense to allow more offensive aggression. If our D comes around this next year like I think it should and JT5 finds chemistry with a couple of new WR we should be a power to be recokened with.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Our offense has succeeded this year for a lot of reasons. A qb that fits the system and operates it lightning quick, an OL that's both big and athletic and "knows where to go." A stable of senior Abacks who know how to block the edge. A stud sr wr that came out of nowhere like manna from heaven and a pretty good complement in another tall, fast, athletic wideout.

But just isolating the relationship between OL and qb, who deserves more credit and which deserves more blame last year? Many say Vad had issues, but the OL was terrible and that compounded his issues. Others, like me, say the OL was good the year before with a sr Tevin, how did they all of a sudden become crappy?

Imo, the qb is the linchpin in our offense. He makes everything go and makes everyone else, better... or worse. Most of JT's success is due to how quickly he operates the basics of the offense and how he, with his legs mostly, puts pressure on the defense.

Vad was a darn good athlete, but he was slow in how he operated the offense. He didn't attack the pitch key and we were "slow played" to death. My point is not to attack Vad, but to point out how a pure option qb is so necessary for the success of this offense and how his performance makes the OL's job either 10x easier or 10x harder to perform. I believe our OL is better this year, but not so much so that it is the primary reason for our success. JT gets that award.
I think Vad, as a good of a kid as he was, projected a negative vibe as the de facto team leader (almost "flu-like") that infected the team. I hate to say it because, as I said, he was a good kid on campus. I say this from second-hand experience through my daughter who had some interactions with him and a couple of other teammates who supported some of her sorority's service projects. It was just a bad fit between him and PJ's offense.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Pretty simple to me why we are more successful this year.

JT runs the offense fast and blockers do not have to hold blocks indefinitely. This is the heart of the Tech's timing on the option.

We have good receivers, something that Tevin Washington never had. Tevin was a good passer but his receivers had trouble getting open and when they did get open they seemed to frequently drop the ball. All of this made his time in the pocket perilous. I remember in last year's Georgia game when we set up our opening TD. On third and long Lee dropped back into a pocket that was collapsing quickly. He threw the ball long down field and my mind immediately said, "Here we go with three and out," because when Tevin had thrown this same pass in previous years it was always dropped. Of course, last year those passes were not dropped. All this is to say, the last two years we have had receivers who can help keep defenses more honest.

Last but not least we have an offensive line that has had few injuries and has been able to maintain continuity. I almost think part of the reason for having fewer injuries (besides just plain dumb luck) is that JT does things so quickly with the ball the defenders are trying to disengage from the offensive linemen to get to the play rather than continuing to attack them.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Four big surprises for me on the OL were:
The solid and consistent play from Chamberlain
The vast improvement of Joe and then developing into late season dominance
Consistent outstanding center play of Burden
Good backup production from Marshall considering his under size and lack of college experience
Not a surprise but the play of Mason overshadowed the above

Not disappointed with Braun or Devine but hoping to see Joe/Burden/Chamberlain type improvement from them next year

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We are getting big and nasty on the ol. We could have a blocking that goes from speed package to a power package. Can you imagine a counter play with lead blocks by our guys. In UGA Devine crushed a defender - it was like he saw the bright light and said - TRAIN! Next year the added depth hope master chef johnson really mixes it up for the new fast abs to have some called plays. As a youth movements Would love to see a called play for brown and or klock leading Cottrell on option reverse as he breaks a long runs.

Last year - only a few eggs and chickens. This year more eggs and chickens. Next year baskets and flocks of chickens for the chief coach to have chef thomas serve up a full menu of omelets.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think the discussion is a good one. IMHO you have to have some talent at the OL first. The best QB in the world still gets beat without some {even limited} blocking.

My thought is that JeT made the line look better than it was, but that without them stepping up and playing consistently at a higher level than last year it would have been for nought. Does that make sense?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the discussion is a good one. IMHO you have to have some talent at the OL first. The best QB in the world still gets beat without some {even limited} blocking.

My thought is that JeT made the line look better than it was, but that without them stepping up and playing consistently at a higher level than last year it would have been for nought. Does that make sense?
Maybe JT and the OL pushed each other and made each other better?

The curious part for me is that the OL was pretty darn good 3 years ago when Tevin was a sr. Was that due to Tevin or was it due to the OL? Then all of a sudden that same OL, a year older no less, sucked balls. The only variable was qb.

Yes, there was a slew of injuries but many on here didn't want to talk about that. They just wanted to say how bad the OL sucked.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
On the "fewer false starts" topic that Boomer mentioned, do we know how last year and this one compared? It appeared to me that when we had 5 yard penalties they killed the drive much more frequently last year. Wonder if that is supported by the facts.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
NO doubt the Oline is better but it all goes together.If the QB is feared for pass the DBs stay back and the OL is not outnumbered.If the OLs block the Bback kills and the wide stuff usually works--- IF---the WRs and/or the Abacks are getting outside blocks, it really awesome..