Ok we are 3-3 so what concerns you the most ( any thing but the coaches)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The NIU game, our starting QB played probably the worst game of his life, we missed 3 field goals, and a controversial call on their 2 point conversion decided the game. With a little luck, we win that game

The Clemson game we had multiple chances inside the 10 to score touchdowns, we didn’t. With a little luck we win that game.

If we were lucky that would put us at 5-1. Not sure what there is to disagree with there?
If you cannot see that a team that struggles to beat Duke, which struggled mightily against Kansas is simply a long way from 5-1 then I am not sure I can help you.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If you cannot see that a team that struggles to beat Duke, which struggled mightily against Kansas is simply a long way from 5-1 then I am not sure I can help you.
If you can’t see a team that’s 7 points from being 5-1 then I am not sure I can help you. Whether or not the game against Duke was pretty it was a win, and there are 2 other games that were also damn near wins. Why are you trying to fight it so hard?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The pass rush has looked pretty bad every game besides UNC. I don't expect the secondary to hold tight coverage for 5+ seconds every play but I do expect the blitz to have hit the quarterback by then. I think if you throw out the UNC game, we have 4 sacks in 5 games. Even the average QBs we play against are just playing routine pitch and catch out there.
The pass rush is underperforming, don’t get me wrong, but one of Duke’s touchdowns came on a play where a DB who shall remain nameless got beaten on a simple go-route despite having a good 10-yard cushion. The pass rush needs to be better, but we can’t be giving up easy scores like that in the secondary.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If you can’t see a team that’s 7 points from being 5-1 then I am not sure I can help you. Whether or not the game against Duke was pretty it was a win, and there are 2 other games that were also damn near wins. Why are you trying to fight it so hard?
Because it is an illusion. We are a long way from having competitive offensive and defensive lines. Fix those and we will have a good team. Don't fix those things and the inconsistent play continues.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Because it is an illusion. We are a long way from having competitive offensive and defensive lines. Fix those and we will have a good team. Don't fix those things and the inconsistent play continues.
Being 5-1 is an illusion just as much as being 2-4 and losing to Duke is. We got breaks against Duke we didn’t get against NIU or Clemson. The point of my first post in this thread was just that we aren’t “lucky” to be 3-3. We should be 4-2, and if we were lucky we could be 5-1. Just like if we were unlucky we could be 2-4. You’re trying to overanalyze the Duke game trying to come up with reasons for why we should’ve lost instead of looking at NIU and Clemson for reasons we should have won.

Either way it’s not a big deal because it’s all hypothetical. Just like we could’ve went 13-0 or 12-1 in 2014 to make the CFP, or we could’ve lost to Georgia Southern, VT, and UGA and went 7-5.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Being 5-1 is an illusion just as much as being 2-4 and losing to Duke is. We got breaks against Duke we didn’t get against NIU or Clemson. The point of my first post in this thread was just that we aren’t “lucky” to be 3-3. We should be 4-2, and if we were lucky we could be 5-1. Just like if we were unlucky we could be 2-4. You’re trying to overanalyze the Duke game trying to come up with reasons for why we should’ve lost instead of looking at NIU and Clemson for reasons we should have won.

Either way it’s not a big deal because it’s all hypothetical. Just like we could’ve went 13-0 or 12-1 in 2014 to make the CFP, or we could’ve lost to Georgia Southern, VT, and UGA and went 7-5.
I agree with everything you’re saying. The margin is just so so so slim in so many cases. Honestly, we clean a few things and get healthy and I think we can win a lot of the games in the second half. It’s just so close though and a W/L record is yes or no, 1’s and 0’s.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

You make a strong argument, but if I might jump into this debate, you haven’t dealt with the issue of consistency that the other poster made. In 2014 Tech was consistently good, so regardless of how lucky or unlucky that team was they were going to get their share of wins. And consistent / good teams tend to get lucky if you haven’t noticed.

Our current team has yet to demonstrate that they have any consistency at all. I hope that changes but until it does expect a lot more unlucky losses.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You make a strong argument, but if I might jump into this debate, you haven’t dealt with the issue of consistency that the other poster made. In 2014 Tech was consistently good, so regardless of how lucky or unlucky that team was they were going to get their share of wins. And consistent / good teams tend to get lucky if you haven’t noticed.

Our current team has yet to demonstrate that they have any consistency at all. I hope that changes but until it does expect a lot more unlucky losses.
Ok, and the 2015 team could’ve easily went went 10-2. But that team wasn’t “lucky” and ended up 3-9. All I’m trying to say and get across is that a play or 2 here or there can drastically affect the outcome of a game. If you’re on the positive side it can lead to a win, or if you’re on the negative side it can lead to a loss. My original post in this argument was to this:
We are VERY lucky to be 3-3 -after viewing the replay with powerful dook
We aren’t anywhere close to being VERY lucky after beating Duke. What I’m trying to say is that if we were VERY lucky we could be 5-1. We should be 4-2, and if we didn’t catch some breaks against Duke, we could be 2-4. As it stands though, we are 3-3. I don’t in any way, shape, or form believe we deserve to be 5-1, I just think some people need to step back and look at how close we actually are to being 5-1. Losing to NIU is inexcusable, and Clemson did everything they could to give us that game but we came out with Ls both times. Hypothetically though, if we caught the same breaks we did against Duke, we would be 5-1, which would put us in a drastically different position than where we are currently.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ok, and the 2015 team could’ve easily went went 10-2. But that team wasn’t “lucky” and ended up 3-9. All I’m trying to say and get across is that a play or 2 here or there can drastically affect the outcome of a game. If you’re on the positive side it can lead to a win, or if you’re on the negative side it can lead to a loss. My original post in this argument was to this:

We aren’t anywhere close to being VERY lucky after beating Duke. What I’m trying to say is that if we were VERY lucky we could be 5-1. We should be 4-2, and if we didn’t catch some breaks against Duke, we could be 2-4. As it stands though, we are 3-3. I don’t in any way, shape, or form believe we deserve to be 5-1, I just think some people need to step back and look at how close we actually are to being 5-1. Losing to NIU is inexcusable, and Clemson did everything they could to give us that game but we came out with Ls both times. Hypothetically though, if we caught the same breaks we did against Duke, we would be 5-1, which would put us in a drastically different position than where we are currently.
Sure. I get your argument and think it was a valid point. I personally don’t have a dog in this fight. I was just trying to point out where I think you and the other poster disagree. He thinks Tech is a much worse team than you therefore without luck they could have a much worse record. Arguing over lucky vs unlucky misses the original intention of his post, IMO. You guys really just view the team’s potential much differently.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
My biggest concern is that our receivers never seem to consistently get separation. Simms threw some very scary short yardage passes against Duke that were completed, but it was only because he threw a perfect pass. Several of them looked like they could have been picked off because the coverage was great. And it just always SEEMS as if our receivers are covered (notwithstanding the last two pass plays!).