Ok we are 3-3 so what concerns you the most ( any thing but the coaches)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
What i'd really liek to see is some synergistic play calling, on both sides of the ball. I feel we are droppign into shell coverage and not disguising blitzes well enough recently if we blitz at all nor do i think we are running enough lurk or robber.

On offense, we are predictable but don't seem to have play action off of that, we also are not using our tight ends at all to aid over the middle giving sims a tall target to throw it up to. I'd like to see a bit more medium routes to tight ends to maybe open up the run game and freeze backers at the second level . This should help our off tackle.

As for the run game, I think Traps and draws might need to start playing a bigger role. Its obvious we can't get push up the middle these two play designs are for punishing over penetration we need to take advantage of a weakness.

I'd also like to see us utilizing more mesh concepts int eh passing game to get our speedy recievers to the perimeter and open up the back out of the backfield and deep post off the concept.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
What i'd really liek to see is some synergistic play calling, on both sides of the ball. I feel we are droppign into shell coverage and not disguising blitzes well enough recently if we blitz at all nor do i think we are running enough lurk or robber.

On offense, we are predictable but don't seem to have play action off of that, we also are not using our tight ends at all to aid over the middle giving sims a tall target to throw it up to. I'd like to see a bit more medium routes to tight ends to maybe open up the run game and freeze backers at the second level . This should help our off tackle.

As for the run game, I think Traps and draws might need to start playing a bigger role. Its obvious we can't get push up the middle these two play designs are for punishing over penetration we need to take advantage of a weakness.

I'd also like to see us utilizing more mesh concepts int eh passing game to get our speedy recievers to the perimeter and open up the back out of the backfield and deep post off the concept.
On offense it's kind of funny cause our offense reminds me of the days I played in High School for a coach named Dale Williams . He would run off tackle till we could gain 5 yards or more and he would just keep doing it, Than after we came off the field he would tell us we are going to keep running off tackle till we could gain 5 yards each time we run it. Being the center I wanted to say coach they know what we are doing lets try something else but I knew not to do that as a player.

As for defense I remember one year we had a bad defense and we started the game with a 6-2 they marched down to score , The next time they had the ball we switch to a 5-3 and once again they march down to score and the head coach told the DC to do some thing else . So than we moved to a 4-4 and they score again. then the head coach was pissed off and asked the DC what he would do now. The DC looked at the Head coach and said that was all the defenses he had so he was just going to watch and see if our offense could keep up with them. ( That was the last for that DC)

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I see a lot of comments about being able to run up the middle but I think being able to hit a tight end or slot back across the middle for 3rd and long plays is critical. A well thrown ball zipped to a narrow window is hard to do but can be incredibly difficult for a linebacker to defend if the timing is right. Unfortunately its something that is also high risk for a tipped interception - as we have seen with Sim’s this year. Hopefully this is something experience will bring - without it you allow the defense to shrink the field too much.

Last edited:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I see a lot of comments about being able to run up the middle but I think being able to hit a tight end or slot back across the middle for 3rd and long plays is critical. A well thrown ball zipped to a narrow window is hard to do but can be incredibly difficult for a linebacker to defend if the timing is right. Unfortunately its something that is also high risk for a tipped interception - as we have seen with Sim’s this year. Hopefully this is something experience will bring - without it you allow the defense to shrink the field too much.

Yep but you can alleviate some of that by moving the point of launch and hitting tight ins on out breaking crossers.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Is a crossing pattern the hardest throw a QB has to make? One of the hardest? I don't know, just asking the question.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Is a crossing pattern the hardest throw a QB has to make? One of the hardest? I don't know, just asking the question.

No throwing cross body is. A crossing pattern just means you are throwing it after the mesh usually its at the hashes. Good QBs (watch aaron rodgers) Drift towards the crosser they are throwing to counter pocket penetration. If doen correctly you are either going to get a good reception for decent to long yardage. Or you will end up with a relatvely safe incompletion ( as the outsidde receiver is usually on a GO pulling the corner out of the area you are throwing the ball if the corner is goign you aren't throwing the cross but instead the go as that usually means that WR is wide open between the corner and the safety.

Crossers are more difficult to read than to throw.

Now a Deep cross can be difficult and a late cross can be a long throw.

slugboy

Staff member
Deep out patterns are up there. It's a huge amount of distance, and you have to be accurate with a lot of velocity or the defender can undercut the pass and pick it off. Passes in the middle require good reads because you can be crowded with defenders who can deflect or undercut a pass
These are NFL numbers, but they should give you a clue for NCAA: https://grantland.com/the-triangle/pass-atlas-a-map-of-where-nfl-quarterbacks-throw-the-ball/

The most popular place to throw the ball is within 10 yards, and not directly over the center. One reason for that is that your receivers are usually starting out outside the tackle box, other than the RB, so a quick pass is usually not going to be over the center of the field. That's also where your mike is starting, and you're looking for a gap. However, that's one of the highest completion spots on the field:
grant_completion_percentage_115211.jpg

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Throwing over the middle in general is difficult and some QBs have a knack for it, some struggle with it. It’s common for QBs at the Power 5 level not to be able to do it and it has less to do with arm talent and more to do with having to process more. LBs under, safeties over, corners trailing. Linemen in your face. Jimbo fisher said two years ago, and this isn’t verbatim, but to play in his offense, you have to be able to throw over the middle. Windows are tight, but if you can throw skinny posts, seam routes between the backers and safeties, and crossers in the muck, it translates even against better defenses. It’s not gimmicky. It’s straight up hard to stop, even if you’re Bama. Contrast that to throws to the outside or over the top require less processing, but maybe more arm talent. And honestly, maybe Sims can learn to do it. I think Yates has a little better knack for it. It helps to have elite receivers/TEs and good protection.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only concern I have is that we may not have quality backups when the starters get injured. I thought we may be further along on the OL than it appears we may be. It takes time on the lines, so I'm being patient.

Now, things that aren't concerns because I'm expecting them:

QB: staring down receivers, forcing the ball, inconsistent reads in the RPO
DL: inconsistent pass rush; inconsistent stopping interior run

Because of the inconsistencies on the DL, I expect more receivers to get open. If the opposing QB can hit them, we get burned. It's a team game.

As passing improves, the run game will open back up because we won't be seeing as many run blitzes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On offense it's kind of funny cause our offense reminds me of the days I played in High School for a coach named Dale Williams . He would run off tackle till we could gain 5 yards or more and he would just keep doing it, Than after we came off the field he would tell us we are going to keep running off tackle till we could gain 5 yards each time we run it. Being the center I wanted to say coach they know what we are doing lets try something else but I knew not to do that as a player.

As for defense I remember one year we had a bad defense and we started the game with a 6-2 they marched down to score , The next time they had the ball we switch to a 5-3 and once again they march down to score and the head coach told the DC to do some thing else . So than we moved to a 4-4 and they score again. then the head coach was pissed off and asked the DC what he would do now. The DC looked at the Head coach and said that was all the defenses he had so he was just going to watch and see if our offense could keep up with them. ( That was the last for that DC)
I think there was a coach Dale Williams at Waycross High back in the day.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think one of the first posters on this thread mentioned concern over the running game. I concur. It feels like we are not calling the right plays for each back. I don’t get plays that call for Mason to run wide rather than north and south. I don’t get using Gibbs to try to pound it up the middle. And I don’t get not playing Smith earlier in games and using him more.

Get the running game working as a dependable and effective threat and many of our other concerns would be mitigated. Using clock would let our defense rest, regroup and make adjustments. A running threat also slows down the rush when you pass, giving the quarterback time to make good decisions.

Even if you have a poor offensive line there are still play calls that give a good back a chance to make yardage. Some running backs actually make the line look good. We have those kind of backs.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As far as the running game goes, I don’t think we are at the point where you just stick the ball out and let the running back pick his hole. We need smash mouth football at the point of attack. Double teams, trap blocking, triple teams, misdirection, or whatever it takes to get the job done.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think one of the first posters on this thread mentioned concern over the running game. I concur. It feels like we are not calling the right plays for each back. I don’t get plays that call for Mason to run wide rather than north and south. I don’t get using Gibbs to try to pound it up the middle. And I don’t get not playing Smith earlier in games and using him more.

Get the running game working as a dependable and effective threat and many of our other concerns would be mitigated. Using clock would let our defense rest, regroup and make adjustments. A running threat also slows down the rush when you pass, giving the quarterback time to make good decisions.

Even if you have a poor offensive line there are still play calls that give a good back a chance to make yardage. Some running backs actually make the line look good. We have those kind of backs.
I never thought I’d see the day where we can’t run the football. We went from first to worst in the nation in rushing.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
My biggest concern for the team
Offense third down conversion: 30.88% rank 112
Defense third down conversion: 46.67% rank 113
Wow, had no idea we're in that kind of shape. Be interesting to see what FO has to say about our offense and defense when they update their weekly stats.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My biggest concern for the team
Offense third down conversion: 30.88% rank 112
Defense third down conversion: 46.67% rank 113
Numbers don’t lie. I’m patient and know nothing will be done until after next year but again numbers don’t lie. 3-3 looks ok on paper but when 2 of those wins are KSU and Duke and you look at numbers the trend continues in the same direction.