Ok question to kill time

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
John O’Neal was the blocking FB for Eddie Lee. To this day he complains because his only 100 yard game was against AirForce the day ELI set the NCAA single game rushing record....so no one even noticed what O’Neal did...LOL
Do you know John? Do you know where he is? We grew up in the same 'hood.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
I forgot about Charlie Rogers who is more properly, I suppose, considered an "All Purpose" back lining up as he did all over the place. Nobody, I mean nobody, got more out of his ability that Tech's own "Charlie Brown" Charlie Rogers. Something you could say about a lot of Tech's little backs that have come through the Flats. Leon Hardeman, Johnny Gresham, Jimmy Thompson, Albany's own Tony Zenon, Brent Cunningham, and two of Paul Johnson's mini backs that played A back for him whose names I simply am drawing a blank on. One was from Texas and was on scholarship, the other from Cobb County and was a walk on, both were productive in their time. Please forgive me for not remembering your names. Even backs that did not have the "measureables" managed to have productive careers at Tech. Damn it, I forgot Deon Hill. That guy had a career game against Georgia in 2014. Seems like every time we needed a first down, that man was involved be it blocking, catching a pass or running. Fine football player for Paul Johnson.
Yep, agree. 4 pages in and no mention of Robbie Godhigh? Talk about a guy that got the most out of his ability. Of course he's not on the top level, but a super underrated back. He was our best offensive player in 2013; had 79 carries(as an A-Back!) had almost 10 yards a carry and caught for nearly 500 yards. Guy was a beast.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Did Kim King refer to Malcom King from time to time as "cuz"?
Funny, Kim was from Atlanta and went to Brown High School. He was heavily recruited by Bear Bryant who wanted him badly. The story goes that the Bear was entertaining Kim the morning of the Tech - Alabama game in 1962. Alabama was ranked number 1. The Bear, according to Kim, was worried. He was chain smoking the old Chesterfield cigarettes and muttering as the rain came down: "This is Dodd weather, he will know how to exploit it." So he did and a monumental upset occurred that Dodd called his "greatest victory". I was there as an 8 year old and watched Don Toner from Birmingham intercept a Joe Namath pass on the 14 yard line. As for Malcom King, Kim was not his cousin but he has lots of them down this way. The Kings are all over the place in Sumter County. So there is that. A fine player for Bill Curry.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yep, agree. 4 pages in and no mention of Robbie Godhigh? Talk about a guy that got the most out of his ability. Of course he's not on the top level, but a super underrated back. He was our best offensive player in 2013; had 79 carries(as an A-Back!) had almost 10 yards a carry and caught for nearly 500 yards. Guy was a beast.

Mr. Godhigh will forgive me for not remembering his name. He is the aforementioned walk on from Cobb County. A typical overachieving little back for Tech just like the others. Paired with a big and fast Orwin Smith they were a formidable set of A backs for Paul Johnson.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
There is a lot of cool info in this post about a lot of great memories. After reflection and someone reminding me about a forgotten back, I’m revising me answer.
I stated the best two backs on our roster would be Choice and Dwyer for 1 season and the absolute best back was/is Eddie Lee Ivory.
I now revise that to be David Sims and Eddie Lee Ivory. I had overlooked Sims and had forgotten that his 1st year in the NFL, he actually led the league in TDs. Ivory was the 15th pick overall . Sadly, both Ivory and Sims had early major injuries.
My personal belief is half the guys that we all love during PJs years were a product of the option offense. Not trying to rain on anyone’s choice, as I love all those guys. Just saying.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s funny. I understand that if you are younger than 55, Ivory and Sims are not in your equation. At 64, I did see Lenny Snow but not the 1950s studs.
Problem is, if we go back that far we are talking single platoon football with the RBs playing both ways.
I have great respect for our history but can’t imagine Castleberry at 155 lbs ( his last year at Tech) playing today.
Now Indian Joe Guyon was a beast. The largest player on our roster at 190lbs (and the fastest) 100 years ago. Heck, Alabama won a National Championship in the 60s with an offensive line small than 190.
We have some great history.

There is a lot of cool info in this post about a lot of great memories. After reflection and someone reminding me about a forgotten back, I’m revising me answer.
I stated the best two backs on our roster would be Choice and Dwyer for 1 season and the absolute best back was/is Eddie Lee Ivory.
I now revise that to be David Sims and Eddie Lee Ivory. I had overlooked Sims and had forgotten that his 1st year in the NFL, he actually led the league in TDs. Ivory was the 15th pick overall . Sadly, both Ivory and Sims had early major injuries.
My personal belief is half the guys that we all love during PJs years were a product of the option offense. Not trying to rain on anyone’s choice, as I love all those guys. Just saying.

LOL....Option Offense. You do realize that you putting Ivery and Sims as your best tandem....They were in Pepper's wishbone attack and the base play is the triple option.

Funny, Kim was from Atlanta and went to Brown High School. He was heavily recruited by Bear Bryant who wanted him badly. The story goes that the Bear was entertaining Kim the morning of the Tech - Alabama game in 1962. Alabama was ranked number 1. The Bear, according to Kim, was worried. He was chain smoking the old Chesterfield cigarettes and muttering as the rain came down: "This is Dodd weather, he will know how to exploit it." So he did and a monumental upset occurred that Dodd called his "greatest victory". I was there as an 8 year old and watched Don Toner from Birmingham intercept a Joe Namath pass on the 14 yard line. As for Malcom King, Kim was not his cousin but he has lots of them down this way. The Kings are all over the place in Sumter County. So there is that. A fine player for Bill Curry.
I was there on the temporary bleachers as a rat, and it was the most intense game I have ever witnessed.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL....Option Offense. You do realize that you putting Ivery and Sims as your best tandem....They were in Pepper's wishbone attack and the base play is the triple option.
Very much aware that both were in the wishbone. Eddie Lee was in The I formation his last year. For what it’s worth, I was watching from the band section while my bride was marching and twirling on the 45 yard line. My point was their play translated to the next level and the NFL drafted them accordingly.
Sims was penalized from coming from the wishbone (7th round) but Ivory proved his worth as a featured back his senior year.
The beauty of PJs version was that a small 2 star guy would come in and have 9 yards per carry. I loved him and yes I loved Marcus Wright, Orwin Smith, Roddy and all those guys.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Very much aware that both were in the wishbone. Eddie Lee was in The I formation his last year. For what it’s worth, I was watching from the band section while my bride was marching and twirling on the 45 yard line. My point was their play translated to the next level and the NFL drafted them accordingly.
Sims was penalized from coming from the wishbone (7th round) but Ivory proved his worth as a featured back his senior year.
The beauty of PJs version was that a small 2 star guy would come in and have 9 yards per carry. I loved him and yes I loved Marcus Wright, Orwin Smith, Roddy and all those guys.
Why do you continue to misspell Eddie Lee's last name?